Things Everyone Hates About Modern Movies

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
l
I don't really give a shit about the broader MCU, so if they stand apart from it, so much the better.

But, there really arent that many light, fun, not dark and brooding movies I can think of lately that HAVE been successful.
in recent times, yes. doom is what they push. in the not long ago past happy, lighter movies were common. comedy is all but dead now too.

soliloquy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't really give a shit about the broader MCU, so if they stand apart from it, so much the better.

But, there really arent that many light, fun, not dark and brooding movies I can think of lately that HAVE been successful.
Can't argue with that

soliloquy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Case in point of not being able to hear much:

I'm sure the movie will be great! Great casting, and it is a Nolan movie. But seriously, what the hell is the box system?!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Case in point of not being able to hear much:

I'm sure the movie will be great! Great casting, and it is a Nolan movie. But seriously, what the hell is the box system?!

Great example. Why is the music so much louder than the dialogue?

Also, sounds like a cool movie. I hope they depict Richard Feynman breaking into the secure areas and leaving notes that those areas are not secure enough.

The thing that always got to me about that part of history, though, was, well, you know that Oppenheimer went from being quite triumphant about the bomb, but after Nagasaki, had his doubts about the destruction that he had been a part of making possible. On the other hand, Edward Teller was thinking that the A bomb was too wimpy and that he absolutely must develop a much more powerful weapon (H bomb) starting immediately after the war. I never really understood that, personally. I mean, I know that the USSR was hot on the trail of developing it and that, if we hadn't got it when we did, I guess we could have been under a very serious threat of power imbalance, but, man, a weapon like that - if it was ever used against an actual city or whatever - I can't even imagine.

The fact that the H bomb has existed well over half a century now and that humans still exist, is kind of amazing. Now with Putin's finger on the button, every day should probably be treated as a gift...

soliloquy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Great example. Why is the music so much louder than the dialogue?

Also, sounds like a cool movie. I hope they depict Richard Feynman breaking into the secure areas and leaving notes that those areas are not secure enough.

The thing that always got to me about that part of history, though, was, well, you know that Oppenheimer went from being quite triumphant about the bomb, but after Nagasaki, had his doubts about the destruction that he had been a part of making possible. On the other hand, Edward Teller was thinking that the A bomb was too wimpy and that he absolutely must develop a much more powerful weapon (H bomb) starting immediately after the war. I never really understood that, personally. I mean, I know that the USSR was hot on the trail of developing it and that, if we hadn't got it when we did, I guess we could have been under a very serious threat of power imbalance, but, man, a weapon like that - if it was ever used against an actual city or whatever - I can't even imagine.

The fact that the H bomb has existed well over half a century now and that humans still exist, is kind of amazing. Now with Putin's finger on the button, every day should probably be treated as a gift...

Humm.... You sound like someone who may enjoy diving deeper into the rabbit hole.

Look up the USSR/Russian dooms day submarine that was still functioning well after the collapse of the USSR. Also look up when it was decommissioned.

Also look up the storyline of Sidney Lumet's Fail Safe

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Humm.... You sound like someone who may enjoy diving deeper into the rabbit hole.

Look up the USSR/Russian dooms day submarine that was still functioning well after the collapse of the USSR. Also look up when it was decommissioned.

Also look up the storyline of Sidney Lumet's Fail Safe

I never read Fail Safe, but I'm aware of the plot, since it was so famously or infamously similar to Red Alert, the book off of which Dr Strangelove was based. Totally different endings, though.

And honestly, for as frightening of a time the 1960's were, it's much scarier today. Allow me to explain. In the 1960's a handful of powerful governments had nuclear weapons capable of destroying all human life on Earth. When the USSR collapsed, many of those weapons "disappeared." Also, having gone to University to study physics, I can attest that there were multiple Iranian nationals also attending my program with the intent to study nuclear science, and, although their requests to join the program were dismissed by the University, they still took the same classes, they just got more general degrees. Anyway, not to shit all over those people, it was clear that the Iranian immigration office was interested in pulling some sort of trick, and probably succeeded to some extent. Also, now, North Korea has nukes. Whilst the USSR had a very rough relationship with the USA, they had shown that they were at least reasonable opponents, by cooperating with the allies during World War II, which was before the advent of the bomb. Iran and North Korea, on the other hand, have very different philosophies of the USA and the west in general. And, way worse than that, those missing soviet weapons could very well fall into the hands of terrorists, if they aren't already, and terrorists would be far more willing to rush their use with little concern or understanding of the consequences.

And really, it's just a matter of time before someone with evil plans figures out how to get ahold of a nuclear weapon, whether by stealing it or by figuring out how to make it and somehow obtaining the materials. It's a complicated process to get right, but there's no black magic involved. Actually, there are a few different ways to actually pull it off, and there are likely even more ways to do it than we are currently aware. All of these quantum leaps in fusion research are great for science, but could have the unintended consequence of opening up more doors into a potential method of building a weapon in someone's garage or basement. Keep in mind that these scientists who work on things like the Manhattan Project are civilians and go back to their mundane lives teaching young people about science after the project is over, and as Universities cut funding and lay them off, there's always the potential that they could get desperate enough to do work for the wrong people.

In fact, there's a philosophical question in cosmology known as the Fermi Paradox. In a nutshell, it's the idea that you take the probability of intelligent life developing under certain circumstances and multiply by the number of exoplanets that exhibit those certain circumstances, and you ought to get a mathematical result of the expected number of exoplanets that harbour intelligent life. But, as far as we can tell, Earth is the only planet that has intelligent life, contrasted with the nonsingular number of planets that we can observe expected to have the same. One solution to the paradox that has been proposed is that intelligent life tends to figure out nuclear weaponry and then destroy itself, such that the equation in question (Drake's Equation) should have a time-dependent coefficient that drives it to zero over time. That term would basically dictate the survival span of intelligent life between when it figures out how to create electromagnetic means of communication (so that it can be observed) and when it destroys itself with advanced doomsday weapons. How long is that span - 50 years? 100 years? 200 years? The sad part of it, though, is that, even if that is not the missing term in Drake's Equation that solves the Fermi Paradox, the logic used to develop that term is pretty difficult to dismiss. So, 1. if nothing else takes us out as a whole, eventually, some sort of weapon of mass destruction will, and 2. if some sort of nuclear weapon doesn't take us out as a whole, eventually, something else will.

Is it pessimistic? I don't really think so. I mean, no one over the age of 119 right now has managed to figure out how to not eventually die, and it really doesn't look like a good prognosis at all for the rest of us. So, I guess so what if I get nuked? I won't have a chance to take it personally, and, frankly, being vapourized might be the least painless option of how I go out. I certainly don't want that to happen, but what am I going to do? Dig a bunker in my backyard, so that I can instead get some heavy dose of radiation and then slowly die of thirst/hunger/hypothermia after I run out of resources in my bunker waiting for someone to save me after the rest of the world has been burned?

Too much capeshit. Fucking enough already with the superhero movies. Also can Star Wars just fucking die?

At least when a movie is superhero or starwars, it lets you know right away. Personally, I grew up on Star Wars. I saw the original movie when I was 2 years old and became obsessed with it for years. I read Marvel comics as a preteen and was a huge fan of the Tim Burton Batman movie when it came out. When the first Star Wars prequel came out, I hadn't seen a movie in the theater for years, and broke my hiatus just to see it. What a disappointment, but oh well.

But with all of that said, to me, it's like a new restaurant that opened in town. You go there for the grand opening and it's so good, so you go back again and again, but, each time you go back it's a little less good than the time before. So you end up with not only a restaurant that you are sick of that isn't even that good anymore, but you have this yearning for that first bite you had that was so enjoyable but that you'll never have again.

So, as huge of a nerd as I was (am) about Star Wars, I haven't seen the last one. I wasn't even going to see the one before that, but my oldest son told me that it was the best Star Wars film ever made, so I buckled and went to see it. He changed his story soon after anyway... But they'll keep making them and somehow, they'll keep raking in trainloads of cash, in spite of the fact that nearly everyone I know is sick of them. Not only is the quality of the new films shittier with each release, but they keep fucking with the old films and somehow making those shittier as well, with Lucas saying stuff like "I didn't want Han to be morally ambiguous, so I made the alien shoot first," when that's basically the thing that I loved about the character, or "I didn't want the world depicted to look so dirty or so sparse," when, again, that was one of the things I loved the most about the film. But it's ultimately for the best, since I can spend more time doing things like playing guitar, rather than wanting to watch the same stupid movie I've already seen 20 times.

soliloquy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was going to heart your comment, but I don't like that emoticon with hearts for eyes...

I will admit some of that went over my head, but what little I got, does display a bleak reality of us speeding up our inevitable demise. Rather enjoying the short lifespan we have, we, for some insane, and egotistical reason are hell bent on shortening it, not only for ourselves, but also for any future generations.

Also, in regards to Irani humans in university; when I used to work for a bank, we used to scrutinize any Iranian students/profs and try figuring out which university in Iran they have a connection to. Mind you, this is in the 2020s, so it's pretty recent, and this is a Canadian bank, operating out US regulations.

On that topic, I also highly recommend a movie called 'in this corner of the world' taking place in Japan during WW2. The innosense and the frailty of humanity, I thought was so beautifully depicted here. Tragic, and really well written. If anime isn't your thing, do push through. From a story telling perspective, it's superbly done, in my opinion

I never read Fail Safe, but I'm aware of the plot, since it was so famously or infamously similar to Red Alert, the book off of which Dr Strangelove was based. Totally different endings, though.

And honestly, for as frightening of a time the 1960's were, it's much scarier today. Allow me to explain. In the 1960's a handful of powerful governments had nuclear weapons capable of destroying all human life on Earth. When the USSR collapsed, many of those weapons "disappeared." Also, having gone to University to study physics, I can attest that there were multiple Iranian nationals also attending my program with the intent to study nuclear science, and, although their requests to join the program were dismissed by the University, they still took the same classes, they just got more general degrees. Anyway, not to shit all over those people, it was clear that the Iranian immigration office was interested in pulling some sort of trick, and probably succeeded to some extent. Also, now, North Korea has nukes. Whilst the USSR had a very rough relationship with the USA, they had shown that they were at least reasonable opponents, by cooperating with the allies during World War II, which was before the advent of the bomb. Iran and North Korea, on the other hand, have very different philosophies of the USA and the west in general. And, way worse than that, those missing soviet weapons could very well fall into the hands of terrorists, if they aren't already, and terrorists would be far more willing to rush their use with little concern or understanding of the consequences.

And really, it's just a matter of time before someone with evil plans figures out how to get ahold of a nuclear weapon, whether by stealing it or by figuring out how to make it and somehow obtaining the materials. It's a complicated process to get right, but there's no black magic involved. Actually, there are a few different ways to actually pull it off, and there are likely even more ways to do it than we are currently aware. All of these quantum leaps in fusion research are great for science, but could have the unintended consequence of opening up more doors into a potential method of building a weapon in someone's garage or basement. Keep in mind that these scientists who work on things like the Manhattan Project are civilians and go back to their mundane lives teaching young people about science after the project is over, and as Universities cut funding and lay them off, there's always the potential that they could get desperate enough to do work for the wrong people.

In fact, there's a philosophical question in cosmology known as the Fermi Paradox. In a nutshell, it's the idea that you take the probability of intelligent life developing under certain circumstances and multiply by the number of exoplanets that exhibit those certain circumstances, and you ought to get a mathematical result of the expected number of exoplanets that harbour intelligent life. But, as far as we can tell, Earth is the only planet that has intelligent life, contrasted with the nonsingular number of planets that we can observe expected to have the same. One solution to the paradox that has been proposed is that intelligent life tends to figure out nuclear weaponry and then destroy itself, such that the equation in question (Drake's Equation) should have a time-dependent coefficient that drives it to zero over time. That term would basically dictate the survival span of intelligent life between when it figures out how to create electromagnetic means of communication (so that it can be observed) and when it destroys itself with advanced doomsday weapons. How long is that span - 50 years? 100 years? 200 years? The sad part of it, though, is that, even if that is not the missing term in Drake's Equation that solves the Fermi Paradox, the logic used to develop that term is pretty difficult to dismiss. So, 1. if nothing else takes us out as a whole, eventually, some sort of weapon of mass destruction will, and 2. if some sort of nuclear weapon doesn't take us out as a whole, eventually, something else will.

Is it pessimistic? I don't really think so. I mean, no one over the age of 119 right now has managed to figure out how to not eventually die, and it really doesn't look like a good prognosis at all for the rest of us. So, I guess so what if I get nuked? I won't have a chance to take it personally, and, frankly, being vapourized might be the least painless option of how I go out. I certainly don't want that to happen, but what am I going to do? Dig a bunker in my backyard, so that I can instead get some heavy dose of radiation and then slowly die of thirst/hunger/hypothermia after I run out of resources in my bunker waiting for someone to save me after the rest of the world has been burned?

At least when a movie is superhero or starwars, it lets you know right away. Personally, I grew up on Star Wars. I saw the original movie when I was 2 years old and became obsessed with it for years. I read Marvel comics as a preteen and was a huge fan of the Tim Burton Batman movie when it came out. When the first Star Wars prequel came out, I hadn't seen a movie in the theater for years, and broke my hiatus just to see it. What a disappointment, but oh well.

But with all of that said, to me, it's like a new restaurant that opened in town. You go there for the grand opening and it's so good, so you go back again and again, but, each time you go back it's a little less good than the time before. So you end up with not only a restaurant that you are sick of that isn't even that good anymore, but you have this yearning for that first bite you had that was so enjoyable but that you'll never have again.

So, as huge of a nerd as I was (am) about Star Wars, I haven't seen the last one. I wasn't even going to see the one before that, but my oldest son told me that it was the best Star Wars film ever made, so I buckled and went to see it. He changed his story soon after anyway... But they'll keep making them and somehow, they'll keep raking in trainloads of cash, in spite of the fact that nearly everyone I know is sick of them. Not only is the quality of the new films shittier with each release, but they keep fucking with the old films and somehow making those shittier as well, with Lucas saying stuff like "I didn't want Han to be morally ambiguous, so I made the alien shoot first," when that's basically the thing that I loved about the character, or "I didn't want the world depicted to look so dirty or so sparse," when, again, that was one of the things I loved the most about the film. But it's ultimately for the best, since I can spend more time doing things like playing guitar, rather than wanting to watch the same stupid movie I've already seen 20 times

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
There's something funny how that despite we all have a lot of complaints for modern movies in this thread, and then somehow 2022 has been a great year for new movies in general. My favorite movie of the year Everything Everywhere All At Once was a much better multiverse themed movie than anything by Marvel and Sony this past decade at a quarter of the budget. Then you have other heavy hitters like RRR, The Northman, NOPE, Prey, Bones and All, X, Barbarian, The Fablemans, Violent Night, The Banshees Of Inisherin, Glass Onion... and none of them are superhero movies from the usual suspects. Ok, RRR is kinda like a superhero movie, but RRR is still awesome.

The best remedy to superhero fatigue (or insert whatever current mainstream trend) is to have a healthy diet of movies from every other genre.

soliloquy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
/\ funny you should mention that as I just came here to complain about how hollywood seems to have run out of ideas. Just to name a few movies coming out in the next few months:
Spiderman 4?
Guardians of the galaxies 3
John wick 4
Transformers 7
Fast and the furious 10
Indiana jones 7
Little Mermaid
Aquaman 2
Willie Wonka
Creed 3? (or rockie 7? or whatever it is)
Shazam 2

sure, i am being biased as i may have skipped out on movies that are one-offs and original stories that aren't based on anything else previously released....

but seriously, why is there so much fatigue?

but yes, superhero movies are also getting really redundant and repetitive, stale, and just boring

also, RRR was brilliant!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
another good explanation on why we need subtitles for everything now

Just watched that this last night. I know they say it's complicated and yadda yadda, but it really truly all boils down to filmmakers being dicks.

Actors tend to mumble and whisper more? Okay, why? If the director didn't fucking hear what the actor said clearly, it's their job to say "take 2" and/or instruct the actor not to do that! Explosions are too loud, and dialogue has to be quieter in order for the explosions to feel big. Well, I got news for you, the only reason why that is the way it is is because filmmakers are dicks. Filmmakers don't want the movie to have a decent sound mix for anything less than 128 channel 3D surround sound? Dicks. Sound engineers are instructed by filmmakers not to use compression or EQ? Dicks. Literally every single point that the video tried to explain logically leads to filmmakers are dicks. His conclusion that you have three options misses the most obvious option: stop spending your money on shitty films made by dicks. :shrug:

Seriously, during a pandemic, when cinemas are shut down, you want to punish the viewer for not spending $11 to go to a cinema to see your movie, when you ought to know full well that no one can anyway, unless you are too high on your own farts to have noticed that every place for people to gather in crowds was off limits, by forcing them to suffer through a bad audio mix? If that's the case, then fuck you and fuck your movie, dick! (And to think Memento was my favourite move for a long time!)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
l

in recent times, yes. doom is what they push. in the not long ago past happy, lighter movies were common. comedy is all but dead now too.
Eh, still not sure I agree. It's just rare in superhero movies. Everything Everywhere All At Once was quite funny, I thought, Top Gun: Maverick had funny moments and wasn't at all doom-y in look or tone... I really feel like the worst offender here is superhero movies where it's basically all one giant intertwined world which probably ties your hand a little with plot, but even then I thought the Thor movies have tended to be pretty light hearted, and agian, "Love and Thunder" was anything BUT gloomy.

soliloquy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just watched that this last night. I know they say it's complicated and yadda yadda, but it really truly all boils down to filmmakers being dicks.

Actors tend to mumble and whisper more? Okay, why? If the director didn't fucking hear what the actor said clearly, it's their job to say "take 2" and/or instruct the actor not to do that! Explosions are too loud, and dialogue has to be quieter in order for the explosions to feel big. Well, I got news for you, the only reason why that is the way it is is because filmmakers are dicks. Filmmakers don't want the movie to have a decent sound mix for anything less than 128 channel 3D surround sound? Dicks. Sound engineers are instructed by filmmakers not to use compression or EQ? Dicks. Literally every single point that the video tried to explain logically leads to filmmakers are dicks. His conclusion that you have three options misses the most obvious option: stop spending your money on shitty films made by dicks. :shrug:

Seriously, during a pandemic, when cinemas are shut down, you want to punish the viewer for not spending $11 to go to a cinema to see your movie, when you ought to know full well that no one can anyway, unless you are too high on your own farts to have noticed that every place for people to gather in crowds was off limits, by forcing them to suffer through a bad audio mix? If that's the case, then fuck you and fuck your movie, dick! (And to think Memento was my favourite move for a long time!)

Given how music, now a days is recorded, i dont know why that same thing cant be applied to movies.
I mean, sure, Nevermore, just as an example, does have 2 of their albums that sound like absolute garbage, as they were produced horribly! Could barely hear guitar from vox, or drums. But we have phenomenal production where we can hear the vocals whisper just fine; and then chug breakdowns that are devastating and heavy. All equally effective. So if they really simmer down the vocals in movies, just to hear the bomb in the background, I do agree, it is them being pretentious dicks.

also $11 for movies?! Here, its $11 on Tuesdays, but movie tickets are creeping up to being around $20ish now

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Given how music, now a days is recorded, i dont know why that same thing cant be applied to movies.
I mean, sure, Nevermore, just as an example, does have 2 of their albums that sound like absolute garbage, as they were produced horribly! Could barely hear guitar from vox, or drums. But we have phenomenal production where we can hear the vocals whisper just fine; and then chug breakdowns that are devastating and heavy. All equally effective. So if they really simmer down the vocals in movies, just to hear the bomb in the background, I do agree, it is them being pretentious dicks.

also $11 for movies?! Here, its $11 on Tuesdays, but movie tickets are creeping up to being around $20ish now
IDK, I haven't seen a movie at the cinema since, like The Lone Ranger or whatever crap. Our cinema here just barely reopened, and they are desperately begging people to come in, even offering free popcorn. If the regular price is $20, then my curses toward the industry just intensify. I say that between the lack of original ideas and the deliberately poor production showing how little the filmmakers care for their audience, along with the overinflated ticket prices and shady streaming economics, the industry is going to end up snuffing itself out.

And that just makes me 10x sadder for the little filmmakers out there really trying hard to make good films. Hopefully the independent film industry can supplant the Hollywood film industry, and all of these bloated ego actors and filmmakers can take their slapping matches and anti-Semitic tirades with them when they move out of their $50M USD mansions to make room for people who actually give a crap about the audience or making a quality film.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I watched an animated Batman movie that had the issue of quiet dialog and loud explosions. Riding the volume on the remote up and down the entire movie was rather unenjoyable. What a shitty sound design.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IDK, I haven't seen a movie at the cinema since, like The Lone Ranger or whatever crap. Our cinema here just barely reopened, and they are desperately begging people to come in, even offering free popcorn. If the regular price is $20, then my curses toward the industry just intensify. I say that between the lack of original ideas and the deliberately poor production showing how little the filmmakers care for their audience, along with the overinflated ticket prices and shady streaming economics, the industry is going to end up snuffing itself out.

And that just makes me 10x sadder for the little filmmakers out there really trying hard to make good films. Hopefully the independent film industry can supplant the Hollywood film industry, and all of these bloated ego actors and filmmakers can take their slapping matches and anti-Semitic tirades with them when they move out of their $50M USD mansions to make room for people who actually give a crap about the audience or making a quality film.
You forgot about those remakes being a total fuck you to the fans who built the franchise these filmmakers are now prostituting for a cheap pay day.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Beyond having to see like 40 movies just to get to that one gem which is way more than just far and few in between, motherfuckers. Which I actually have gotten used to.

But one thing that I absolutely cannot stand which is in every modern movie production, it's the fucking disbalanced mix. Like, who the fuck do they have over there in post? The Trailer Park Boys?

Why does every god damn movie have to have such quiet dialogue exchanges but when a song plays or that oversized load of a brooding drone delivering you the braams comes around inside of that god damn doppler.

The god damn shit has to make the dialogue sound like sewer mice in the distance but the action bits have the neighbors pick up their copper phones for uber noise complaints in a row.

THIS SHIT HAS TO STOP! No more puttin' fuckin' Bubbles on the damn mixer!

iu

Last edited: