The WIP Thread

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by axxessdenied, Apr 26, 2013.

1. NickLAudio

NickLAudio Audio/Video Engineer

Thanks fellas!

@axxessdenied I hear you on the length. The droney chuggy parts could easily be trimmed down as those are looped for the sake of looping lol and the clean chimey part at the end can be cut as it was never part of the song to begin with, which would put the track right around the 4 min mark.

2. depths of europa

depths of europa Depths of Europa

Hey guys, It's been awhile since I've posted my stuff on here but I thought what the heck I'll throw this up and see if I can get any helpful tips. This site has always been a wealth of knowledge for me.

I've been working on this demo for a couple weeks now. Vocals are still preliminary ideas. And need some variation / refining.

Any and all tips ideas would be awesome!

Thanks!

3. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Sounds like a really good production to me, like something I would hear on a professionally produced record. I dig the vocals too.

4. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Sounds good! I'm still working on getting my drums to sit in a mix. I like how the snare pops but isn't overpowering, and the kick is present but not drowning out everything else. I have issues with that sometimes and have been turning the kick down. Thanks for sharing!

5. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

6. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Hey y'all! I finally got a chance to record this neo-classical/metal tune I wrote many MANY years ago. I used basic drums via EZ Drummer and my chops aren't what they used to be, but you'll get the idea haha. Let me know what you think of the song and what I can improve on, other than the flurry of muddy notes. Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/berial-feilong29/fight-fight-and-win

7. depths of europa

Pretty cool man! I couldn't do that! Never been a solo guy. Best I could ever pull off was melodic slash solos. I don't know much about solo tracking tbh, but the solo track could handle to be mixed a tad loading imo . You could retrack ending there to match uo real tight with the rhythm. Thats all i can think of. Thanks for checking out my track too!

feilong29 likes this.
  8. depths of europa

This sounds crazy tight man. Good work. You should put vocals on this imo.

9. depths of europa

This sounds really cool man. I'm not a huge industrial fan so I couldn't really give any useful tips but it sounds tight and professional. Reminds me of something I would hear on a Nine Inch nails record.

Looking forward to hear your final version with vocals.

10. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 working on my mix Contributor

@depths of europa Nice song man! Good vocal chops on that one. The drums feel like the weakest part to me just in terms of feeling dry, but maybe that's what you're going for. I really like the vocal ideas, great chorus.

@feilong29 Damn dude nice sweeps. You said your chops are rusty but they are still worlds better than mine, haha. My two cents for making the track better would be to extend the length and try to have a theme occur a couple times in the track. It seems like you are doing mostly shredding but don't have a common melody or chorus style hook that you center everything around.

@KnightBrolaire I second what others have said, add some drums if you can! The tone sounds a bit flubby to me on the low end.

Here's a song I've been working on. Would love any feedback! It's fairly basic, just going for a straightforward hard rock song in the vein of Alt Metal/Post-Grunge Bands. https://soundcloud.com/duffmusic/rise

feilong29 likes this.
  11. depths of europa

Great
    Sounds great man! Solid song and great playing

12. depths of europa

Here's one of my new tracks for my solo hardcore/crust project called 'Misled'. I like this style because I can write and record a song like this in less then a day. Let me know what you guys think!

13. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 working on my mix Contributor

@depths of europa cool tune man. Really awesome screaming. I'm hearing Every Time I Die or VoD influence in this bigtime. Have you given any thought to extending the song and putting a big chorus somewhere in there? I understand that the part where you scream "Dogs of Hell" around 1:20 is the chorus, but it would be cool to use that as a pre-chorus and then transition into a clean signing chorus right after that. Just my two cents, wish I could scream like this!

depths of europa likes this.
  14. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

15. Kaura

Kaura Fender ├╗ber alles

This shit will rip your pants off!

https://soundcloud.com/m4ssee/this-is-what-i-do-on-sundays

Sounds great, dude. Not really a fan of doom metal so I wasn't really feeling the slow part in the intro but once the song got going it was awesome. Don't know how close to final mix the song is but I think the drums would benefit if they had a nice big room sound to give them some punch.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  16. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

@Kaura this is just a demo for my band to work over, so it will be hacked over a few times and will have real drums eventually.

Love your take on that cover, especially when you let it rip! :)

Kaura likes this.
  17. depths of europa

Hey everyone,

I've been write lots of demos for a new hardcore project. Here's my newest demo with a DIY music video to go along with it. I did all the music and vocals. I will update the audio when I get a proper studio version with my drummer. Thanks for watching!!

18. depths of europa

I did consider that yeah haha! I started writing all short (under 2:00) songs and then I sort of liked the idea of keeping them all ridiculously short. I sort of ruined that with the 2 minute fade out on the new one I just shared below.

I used to be a slave to the typical radio rock/metal song structure so Ive been intentionally trying to break away from that . Thanks so much for listening and for the kind words!

duffbeer33 likes this.
  19. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

Sick! I dig this. Sounds like the start of a badass tune. Looking forward to an update with some real drums :)

yup. heavy cover so far.

https://soundcloud.com/noiseimplant/violated-by-truth

Been honing my darksynth craft. Pretty happy with a new mastering chain I put together last night. Track still needs some automation for overall fine tuning. Would be great if you guys could tell me if you hear any weird clipping?

Descent likes this.
  20. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Thanks, yeah, this is demo version and then the real drummer will kick in during the band rehearsal process...soon. We're currently getting up to speed on 2 other tracks, so once that is done, we'll move to this one.

axxessdenied likes this.