The WIP Thread

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by axxessdenied, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Chi

Chi Niverlare

Yaaaaas. This is the bomb. Getting Chi vibes all over this verse.

Guitars sound a bit muffled, rolled off too much high end? Other than that - glorious. Guitars have some real cool bite to them.

2. zenshin

zenshin SS.org Regular

Hey glad you like it! You would be right to get Chi vibes off of the song. At the time I wrote it (about 7 years ago), I was listening almost exclusively to Life is Peachy and Korn's debut album. So the influence was inescapable.

As for the guitars sounding muffled, that was intentional. I wanted to go for more of that late 90s early 2000s wall-of-sound tone. Really comes together when cranked loud (in my car at least :lol:). But I'm glad you like the bite of the guitar sound, that's the Engl Powerball amp sim in Amplitube. It's so underrated. I see a lot of people talk down on Amplitube and on one hand I can understand but they do have some gems in their collection.

3. Chi

Chi Niverlare

That's Amplitube?! Jesus, it sounds insane. I've used it for a while as well, but was never able to get it to sound like -that-.

4. zenshin

zenshin SS.org Regular

Haha! Yeah Amplitube is a funny plugin. It has a lot of duds but they have a certain few that are winners. The Engl and Soldano are my favorites so far for heavy tones. I should add that I do bypass the built in cab sims and use Rosen Digital's American Custom IRs. They make a huge difference. (For the record they don't create the muffled sound, I EQ'd that.)

EDIT:
    I should note that I'm referring to the actual branded Engl and Soldanos in their Custom Shop.

5. Saieph

Saieph *_Cowbra_*

I remixed my cover of "House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals. Next up, add the lead vox, duet vox, the 8 part choir vox, and the solo:

House of the Rising Sun by Saieph

6. zenshin

zenshin SS.org Regular

New track :).

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/zenshin-2/end-the-silence[/SC]

7. zenshin

zenshin SS.org Regular

Got a little stressed out and decided to just record another song to vent. This is the result.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/zenshin-2/mine[/SC]

8. torqueofficial

torqueofficial Torque

So here's an old riff I just recorded, heavily inspired by Fear Factory's gun-like sound don't you think? Hope you guys enjoy it!
    [SC]https://soundcloud.com/torqueofficial/riffage-5[/SC]

9. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

Bump. Reminder this thread exists :)

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Drink Sunny D, pet kitties.

11. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

dantejayg85 and Najka like this.
  12. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

Always enjoyed this thread, because of the "rules", actually means you get some feedback. So i'll follow them!

KnightBrolaire: I'm not sure on what to comment on it either, work it into a mix and repost dude!

JohnIce: Cool track man, really original and fresh sounding. Mix sounds pretty good too, but I'm looking forward to the finished version with the real vocals!

Here is my WIP:
    https://soundcloud.com/stijn_bos/eli-rises-nothing-holds-us-still-re-mixed-and-mastered

I've been messing around with random stems I find just to work on my mixing. Also really shows how much a stellar performance can do for your mix. And hence why my mixes generally aren't so good, considering it's me playing otherwise hehe. But this song is by Eli Rises - Nothing holds us still. Stems come from the UltimateMetal forums. Awesome song! Credits go to the band!

13. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Long time no see guys!
    KnightBrolaire: Sounds cool,double track that and add drums and bass.

JohnIce: That's really cool, the vox took my by surprise. really tight mix overall. I don't have anything to add.

Stijnson: I feel like your snare could use some work, some low mids might make it feel bigger. Guitars could come down in the mix too.

New song I'm doing for a friends band, vox are yet to come. I've never mixed a non death metal song before, so this is a massive step outside my comfort zone. Also guitars going through fuzz pedals are a blood nightmare to eq.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4aJGmnL2MekbHo1Q3JmY1dZNlE

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Drink Sunny D, pet kitties.

15. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

16. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

17. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Please read the rules for this thread. It's a requirement to rate others before posting your own content.

axxessdenied likes this.
  18. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

My bad!

@theo Sounds massive when it kicks in, but I feel like the cymbals could come up a tad.
    @KnightBrolaire Agreed with Theo, hard to critique. Guitar maybe sounds like it could use some lopass?
    @Stijnson Drums sound kind of compressed into the middle of the mix, like there's not enough air. Otherwise it's pretty crisp.

axxessdenied likes this.
  19. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

@stevexc sounding tight and clear. I'd like to hear some more verb or room on the drumkit and also some verb on the leads. just a taste thing though.

stevexc likes this.
  20. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

@theo this is pretty sick. The snare is a little off for me ? Sounds great when there isn't a lot to compete with but in full context it seems to lose a bit of detail? some of the snare hits seem to get lost in the mix at times. maybe bring the guitars down just a hair?
    @stevexc I agree with theo on adding some verb to the drums. mix is a little dry for me but that is just preference really.
    @KnightBrolaire reduce the gain a bit maybe to gain some clarity and definition. add more to the mix :p
    @Stijnson - lower the guitars, dunno if its the soundcloud compression but theres something weird going on with the high frequencies. the snare lacks a lot of punch. balancing the levels properly would make a big improvement I think.