The Painting thread

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score
Painted Galadriel the other night. I guess I only paint LOTR characters?

View attachment 116158

I'm getting better but I really need to improve my blending. I want smooth gradients on the face dammit.
if you want smooth transitions then work on blending your midtones at the transition. Some areas like the bridge of the nose and cheekbones are rarely ever soft transitions though.
Don't be afraid to go higher contrast and use less paint to imply structure. That can help with transitions as well.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
if you want smooth transitions then work on blending your midtones at the transition. Some areas like the bridge of the nose and cheekbones are rarely ever soft transitions though.
Don't be afraid to go higher contrast and use less paint to imply structure. That can help with transitions as well.
Thanks for the tips. Yeah the nose came out about right. I just couldn't get the cheeks or chin as smooth as I wanted.

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mess around with a Gaomon PD2200 and Corel Painter essentials 8

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice! Any examples?

Also fun fact: a coworker and friend of mine used to be a dev for Corel Painter back in the 00s.
I've been too busy with music to get serious with it, I got it for album qraphics and art for music videos but haven't had any time to do anything yet worth sharing.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
PSIORB_Olho__V03_net.jpg

... this is probably going to be PSIORB's (link to our youtube channel) debut album cover art... it's in the works, but getting there.

Last edited:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
just finished this up.
I mean this as a compliment, I swear. I'm sure you're familiar with the uncanny valley, right? This is right on the edge of that climb up right where its almost "perfectly human" and your eye won't distinguish it, where most portraits seem to fall on the early part of the "V" if that makes sense.

What I'm saying is, this is very good, and you're damn close to getting into the greater plateau on the other side of the valley, and kudo's for going that route, as most fail hard.

1667410614488.png
I'd say like right there.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Painted Galadriel the other night. I guess I only paint LOTR characters?

View attachment 116158

I'm getting better but I really need to improve my blending. I want smooth gradients on the face dammit.
While sure, improve your technique for your own sake whatever you want to work on, work on, but if you ask me? I really like the style here, and I actually enjoy the "cel shaded"(I realize this isn't that, but it's pretty close to the idea if you ask me) look over a "photorealistic" look here, great work!

Latest posts