The HAARP Machine- Disclosure opinions

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Descendant, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Descendant

Descendant Active Member

I thought Travis Orbin was their new drummer. He made a playthrough of their new song.

2. sezna

sezna undermotivated

He just does sessions, maybe they hired him. I don't think he is a member.

lewis and aesthyrian like this.
  3. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

No way. He's a full-time member of Darkest Hour and has recorded 2 albums with them. They are much more stable both financially and emotionally, he's not leaving that for this mess. Everything else is session, and he does a lot of session work.

USMarine75, Ordacleaphobia and lewis like this.
  4. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Yeah, The Orbinator has been around the block enough that I'm sure he knows better than to put his eggs in that basket.

aesthyrian and sezna like this.
  5. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

At this point, Al would be better served rebranding this as something resembling a solo project with guest musicians on the albums/live. Yeah, fine, HAARP had SOME marketing behind it but by now the limited volume and pace of releases has killed any momentum HAARP might've had as a brand (they're not the first thing to come up on Google or YT when you look up the term).

A MUCH bigger issue is that every time people come and go, it becomes a negative piece of press and there's upheaval. I think at this point, Al is pretty much functioning as everyone perpetually being a hired gun, so why not just market it that way?

USMarine75 and aesthyrian like this.
  6. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I think given the extended period of time between releases, not having it be/marketing it as a "band" would quickly drive it into the vast realm of "hyper-edited-djent-bedroom-projects-by-some-douche-with-a-fancy-guitar". Which is more or less what it is anyways.

7. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

With my only exposure to this band being from this forum, I'm honestly surprised they have fans.

aesthyrian, Randy and GunpointMetal like this.
  8. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

I agree but he's still got a unique sound, and he actually writes songs instead of exercises. The current format reminds me of like Paramore or Evanescence, where it's really just a solo act for the singer that occasionally carries musicians over from album to album, and it's disingenuous.

In Al's case, we only ever discuss him on this website when his entire band quits (which seems to happen every few months) and if it's not expected his musicians carry over (which some of us seem to think, since Orbo being a "member" of the band has already come up several times), that narrative goes away overnight.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  9. Descendant

Descendant Active Member

I still think a lot of people thought "Disclosure" was so well done that they'd give the band another chance. I mean their new song fell really flat to me (I'm probably gonna get some crap for that) but it still has a ton of views on YT and people are willing to defend it. As long as they put out something that sounds good, they'll have an audience and fans. It's pretty amazing how one good album can do that for an artist.

The same goes for Corelia. People still defend them for the crime they committed because of one good EP.

Randy, aesthyrian and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  10. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

I'm indifferent toward Al personally- I heard he's a dick and it sounds credible, but...meh. Drama. Disclosure was a sick album imo and if he put out another disc that sounded that good I'd listen to it for sure.

Same with Corelia, kind of. I intensely dislike them personally for how they handled the whole crowdfunding thing but you bet I'd listen to that album if it ever actually released.
    Art and artists something something and all that.

wannabguitarist, Randy and sezna like this.
  11. GunpointMetal

I guess I'm that guy who doesn't think you should put money in an asshole's pocket just because he makes some "good art". Shitty people do shitty things as long as people are allowing them to.

aesthyrian and lewis like this.
  12. sezna

sezna undermotivated

With the advent of the modern music industry, I can listen to his music on spotify and he barely gets anything! yay

13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

guy is an egotistical, arrogant, disrespectful turd

aesthyrian likes this.
  14. Descendant

Descendant Active Member

I completely agree with that statement. People make some really bad decisions based on a lot of factors (ego, upbringing, insecurity, too much security, etc.). It doesn't make them okay, but it doesn't permanently define who that person is unless they decide so. What I'm trying to say is that it's not too late for Al to actually be transparent with fans and peers (stakeholders) and honestly address what happened. I know a lot of people would be willing to hear that, and I personally would respect the fact that he isn't just sweeping the issues under the rug. I can tell he has a ton of potential just from the masterpiece that "Disclosure" was, and if he's willing to learn from mistakes and move on, he can get back to creating some amazing fusion music again. There's just a lot of opportunity for this to not be a sad case of lost potential.

15. GunpointMetal

He's had several years and lost several "band" members over the time he could have been fixing things and not being a douche. Maybe I'm too old/cynical to give people unlimited chances to stop being a fuckup. That shit has to be proven and earned.

Edit: there are hundreds/thousands of bands and artists making awesome music that aren't dickholes, there's no reason to keep my fingers crossed that this guy gets his shit together because I might miss out on some art that I like when there is plenty of it out there for consumption.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    lewis and aesthyrian like this.
  16. Descendant

Descendant Active Member

You're certainly right to be cautious about giving people too many chances. Unless someone is in jail, every day is a decision to be better. If Al does decide to be better at some point, it'll lead to the best possible outcome, which is more great music. Or maybe I'm just too naive.

Edit: I'm gonna go look around this forum more and try to find these other artists. A lot of songs I come across on YT start off fresh but just end up turning into chug fests. Which is fine, I'm just looking for something else.

17. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

A) I like the irony of his album being named "Disclosure" with respect to this post.
    B) Didn't he make a whiney video about him not meeting his kickstarrer goal recently? I think we're past the point of saving face and telling people what's going on.

I'm with Gunpoint, there's lots of other bands and musicians that I want to listen to for me to give this guy any more attention.

lewis, aesthyrian and GunpointMetal like this.
  18. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

yeah except those other bands didn't write Disclosure. If somebody else has done a tech album with Mike Semesky on vocals, I'd probably be listening to it, but nobody has. No matter how big of a dick Al is, he'd get my money for a good release.

That new song definitely does not meet that bar though. It's about as disappointing a return as the last Sikth album was.

99% on kick yes. snare? no.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  19. Descendant

Descendant Active Member

Have you checked out "Glasshouse" by Interloper? It's a completely different vibe from Disclosure, but it's still technical,very enjoyable, and has Mike Semesky on vocals. I'm pretty excited for their new album. Miles is a pretty creative writer.

aesthyrian likes this.
  20. RoRo56

RoRo56 SS.org Regular

From my own experience of playing drums on numerous metal recordings, the close snare mic nearly always needs reinforcement. I find that it picks up too many unwanted frequencies from the rest of the kit so you can't EQ in a way that benefits the drum best.