The Gibson "Explorerbird" Lzzy Hale signature

thacZERO

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey! Trogly is a YouTube treasure!
I have no issues with him.. in fact I find what he does useful and wish there were others that did similar videos for other types of guitars (that have more pointed parts). But I mean I can imagine some folks here have strong feelings about him so...

Reaction score
No other guitar YouTuber goes as in depth as he does so I dig his stuff. Now when my tech works on guitars I look over his shoulder to "take a look at it's individual parts and specs". I learned my MLs have a long neck tenon. It doesn't matter worth a fuck, but I blame that on Trogly.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I love his channel. I am really enjoying his take on the internet sales in the Gibson Custom and Mod shop, seeing all those one off ideas Gibson puts out there

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
And every Cannibal Corpse song is about mutilating people, but so far their kill count is one house in Florida. Are we going to judge everyone on their lyrics now?
Whataboutism.
A cute frontgirl is marketing, selling pork cutlets isn't. Lzzy Hale was strongly marketed through her appearance and the fact that she is a woman. The day CC serves me a human steak in a restaurant, I'll judge likewise.

Mitri

Meat Tree.
Reaction score
In fantasyland where I have both money and a life, I've already commissioned multiscale versions of these Explorebirds with regular and reversed headstocks.
I plan to use these instruments to meld the styles of Halestorm, Autechre, and Tardini.

I really like this instrument. I would definitely enjoy and use a multiscale version if it existed in my life.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
In fantasyland where I have both money and a life, I've already commissioned multiscale versions of these Explorebirds with regular and reversed headstocks.
I plan to use these instruments to meld the styles of Halestorm, Autechre, and Tardini.

I really like this instrument. I would definitely enjoy and use a multiscale version if it existed in my life.
Interesting. Actually, if you did this guitar in nultiscale and put a really nice quilt top with a transparent version of that finish, it would work with the gold hardware better. Maybe go from dot inlays to some sort of yellow and red tree-of-life inlay, and you'd be onto something I could get behind, at least aesthetically.

thacZERO

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really don't like the objectification of Hale in this thread (or in general), but what I think Andro is trying to say is -

If you build your brand ( or in this case, your band) off of your appearance then folks commenting (positively or negatively) on it is fair game.

I don't necessarily agree on this but it's a fair point to make.
Shit, people have dogged glam rockers for decades .. is Halestorm immune to this?

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I think it depends on how its done and both sides have valid points, again depending on the initial criticism which, in this case, seemed unfair. I myself have commented on how drugs have ravaged Mustaine and many have pointed out that Vince Neal and Jeff Hanneman (RIP brother) both look(ed) more like comic book guy from the Simpson rather than their former svelte selves.

But Hale just aged...naturally. She didn't not take care of herself. She's just older and pointing that out in a way that reduces her to nothing more than "chick" first and musician "maybe" is insulting.

Also it doesn't matter what your "brand" is. Sex appeal is not dependent on age or BMI

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
But Hale just aged...naturally. She didn't not take care of herself. She's just older and pointing that out in a way that reduces her to nothing more than "chick" first and musician "maybe" is insulting.

I think this is they key point here, and moreover, that appearance enters into the discussion 100% of the time when it's a female artist, regardless of age. Whether they are conventionally attractive or not, old or young, using sex appeal or not, appearance is always brought up in a critical light.

All of this stuff about her using sex appeal is is a weak justification, her appearance would've been brought up anyway (and probably by the same folks) because it always is.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Any celebrity whether they're an actor, musician, athlete seems fair game to shallow criticism. It's part of being in the spotlight. Dont act like you haven't made shitty remarks about Mustaine, Ozzy, Keith Richards, Vince Neil, Axl Rose, etc who have all seen better days when they were younger. It's not any sort of "____ist" when you make fun of vince neil for being 300lbs and falling off stage.

ArtDecade

Western Swing
Reaction score
Any celebrity whether they're an actor, musician, athlete seems fair game to shallow criticism. It's part of being in the spotlight. Dont act like you haven't made shitty remarks about Mustaine, Ozzy, Keith Richards, Vince Neil, Axl Rose, etc who have all seen better days when they were younger. It's not any sort of "____ist" when you make fun of vince neil for being 300lbs and falling off stage.

Shallow criticism is one thing.... Vince ate a lot of pizza, didn't take care of his voice, and falls off stages because he is a human train-wreck. Hale is just getting older. One is shallow and the other is callous.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Shallow criticism is one thing.... Vince ate a lot of pizza, didn't take care of his voice, and falls off stages because he is a human train-wreck. Hale is just getting older. One is shallow and the other is callous.
Neil is likely coping from losing his child to cancer, if memory serves. Both are callous.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Neil is likely coping from losing his child to cancer, if memory serves. Both are callous.
Not really. Skylar died 27 years ago and the Vince criticism is legit because he is not in performing shape. Cant sing and his weight is a part of it. He’s not pavoratti and if he and the crue are gonna sell tickets this summer to a show he owes it to fans to be in performing shape like an athlete. If Hale’s wrinkles diminish her guitar skills then criticism is warranted.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not really. Skylar died 27 years ago and the Vince criticism is legit because he is not in performing shape. Cant sing and his weight is a part of it. He’s not pavoratti and if he and the crue are gonna sell tickets this summer to a show he owes it to fans to be in performing shape like an athlete. If Hale’s wrinkles diminish her guitar skills then criticism is warranted.
Because there is a time limit on grief.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Because there is a time limit on grief.
I will be honest I cant speak authoritatively on the grieving habits of anyone I dont know particularly a rock star. I can only assume that based on the elapsed time of 27 years that his recent issues most likely are not related to his daughter. I could be wrong. Trust me I know grief and its long term effects on your mental state. But there is nothing in public evidence that shows he is grieving. He is out playing shows…just not well and it appears that an unhealthy lifestyle is the likely culprit.

But that ignores the issue. Vince CANT sing and his weight is an issue so regardless the cause if Motley Crue and Def Leppard are gonna tour and have known for 18 months they were Vince owes it to his fans and bandmates yo be in playing shape. He’s not. Unless they use bocal tracks they will sound like shit and criticizing him is fair game. And I like Vince. This isnt personal.