The Gibson "Explorerbird" Lzzy Hale signature

ArtDecade

Western Swing
Reaction score
Yeah. People have commented about how Dave has aged poorly the past five or so years.

This thread was moving along nicely until someone decided to call out a woman's appearance and you decided to bring in hate speech and bans. Maybe news travels slower out to Indiana, but times, they are a changing. Things like casual racism, bigotry, chauvinism, etc get called out because they belong deep in the past. We are just trying to help people out so they don't come off as total knobs.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This thread was moving along nicely until someone decided to call out a woman's appearance and you decided to bring in hate speech and bans. Maybe news travels slower out to Indiana, but times, they are a changing. Things like casual racism, bigotry, chauvinism, etc get called out because they belong deep in the past. We are just trying to help people out so they don't come off as total knobs.
Was his comment not hate speech? Aside from that I was laughing that the thread became a shit show quickly as predicted.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Gold hardware in general usually just looks gaudy, unless it's on a guitar that really matches the classy aesthetic. Even then, once the guitar ages, it'll probably end up looking ugly once the gold plating wears.

I like a classic car analogy. The explorer is sort of like the Corvette. The Firebird is more like the Trans Am. Putting the firebird headstock on the explorer body is like if GM released a Trarvette with that was a 70's Corvette Stingray with the front grille and headlights from a 70's Trans Am. Then put gold trim on it, paint it candy apple red, and patted themselves on the back, and slapped a $120k sticker price on it. It's not completely awful, but it's just going to have people shrugging over the weird choices. If Lzzy is happy with it, good for her.

ExplorerMike

60% of the time...it works every time.
Reaction score
Don’t give GM more bad ideas lol. But that is a solid analogy for this guitar. I’m torn as I really want to like it but that headstock is an odd choice. Someone above mentioned this and I agree, it looks better in the pics Lzzy is holding/playing it than the shots by itself. Maybe in person it’ll work better…but 100% agree they should have done this headstock reversed. And I feel like the gold is kind of an outlier, like one too many colors. Probably should have gone all black or all gold hardware. But all gold may go too deep into Mickey D’s territory like mentioned previously.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So, anyway, about this guitar. The more I look at it, the more I can't unsee the McDonald's connection. I guess red/gold just isn't for me.

My understanding is McD's chose those colors because they make people uncomfortable so they will eat their cheeseburger and GTFO.

If so it makes it a rather poor color scheme for anything that you actually want people to buy. Either way it's making me want fries with that.

BabUShka

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah...

I want it. I have been a big fan of what Gibson has been coming out with and I love the explorers. I like the color too. Just ordered a flying V. Can't wait to get it

I have a 2017 Flying V and 2017 Les Paul Classic Goldtop with the same slim tapered 60s neck.

From what I experience, I really enjoy the new Gibsons in term of playability. I had some issues with the inlays on the LP that i have to fix, thats annoys me a bit considering those are expensive guitars. Buy they do sound and play very well.

SexHaver420

🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️
Reaction score
The firebird headstock on the explorer body looks dumb, stupid, etc.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
We can all appreciate that everyone has their personal opinions about who is good/bad/ok looking, but come on, there is no need for that. I mean, even the Guitar World's 'sexy girl' yearly advert (sorry, 'players' guide') stopped a few years ago.
To be fair, half of her songs I listened to were about sex and how guys want her in their bed. So I think calling her on it is fair game.

Reaction score
Looks great, a raised middle section on the body and a white pickguard would've been killer.
View attachment 108539
Yeah if you're gonna call it the Explorerbird then you should go all in the concept. At the end of the day it's hers and she can do what she wants but I feel like the missed an opportunity. Then again it IS Gibson and they wouldn't want to completely "ruin" the "aUthEnTiCitY" of two of their iconic shapes.
In other words I think they're just too fucking last to make a totally new body shape/style

ArtDecade

Western Swing
Reaction score
To be fair, half of her songs I listened to were about sex and how guys want her in their bed. So I think calling her on it is fair game.

And every Cannibal Corpse song is about mutilating people, but so far their kill count is one house in Florida. Are we going to judge everyone on their lyrics now?

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
That's Six Feet Under, dumbass. Duh!
I’m sorry I’m very new at this. Why I just today learned that there’s a band I never heard of that wont release new music but is still more interesting than an unreleased Kardashian sex video on Hunter Biden’s laptop. I promise to be more detail oriented moving forward and more versed in all things metal not named Slayer or Judas Priest