The Fishman Fluence Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by patdavidmusic, Apr 13, 2018.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

I forgot if it was mentioned earlier in this thread or not, but the fluence bass pickups are 180 USD or 280$ for a set, according to sweetwater.

setsuna7 likes this.
  2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Jesus. :lol:

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

5. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I've had a week's time jamming on the Willie Adler signature Fluence. I installed them in my Jackson soloist which had a six string Tosin signature. And I don't know if it's the guitar or the rig, but V1 Tosin and V1 Adler sound pretty pretty close. V1 Adler just has less gain maybe because of the poles vs blade. V2 Adler is just Modern V1 with less compression and gain.

The Tosin went back in since I love V2 on the Tosin for those clean and mid gain chords and thick leads. And of course, single coil voice is a nice bonus.

Indigo Shinigami and setsuna7 like this.
  6. MASS DEFECT

Longshot, but worth a try. Who wants to trade their 6 string Tosin Abasi set to my brandnew Modern Black Nickel set?

Modern1.jpg

7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Alright planning out a set of pickups for my neck build.

Anyone play the tosins and the bkp impulses? tuned down to around A/B

8. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I have. Greatly prefer the BKP Impulse set over the Fishman Tosin set. They're not all that close to each sonically imo. The Impulse set is super flat and dry but lets you shape it quite well and it's very responsive. I have don't really have anything good to say about the Tosin set. It was quite shrill and compressed imo. Even though I don't like the Modern set a whole lot (just voice 2 of the bridge really) I'd take the Moderns over the Tosin set.

All of the sets I mentioned I use/used in swamp ash.

georg_f likes this.
  9. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

As much as I hated the Merrows in my Mayones Regius Core 7 at first, they totally grew on me in the last couple of weeks, to the degree that now I'm at a stage when I cannot imagine going back using normal passives again. I know this feeling will pass, but I got so used to the sound of the Fishmans that I feel all my passives are lacking in clarity and definition, especially in mid to high gain settings.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Strobe and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  10. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Anyone experience hiss on their fluences? My neck pickup has a constant hiss but the bridge does not.. not sure what the problem is

11. juka

juka SS.org Regular

Noticed that the neck pup is always a tiny little bit noisier than the bridge pup on all my Fishman equipped guitars, but wouldn't describe it as a hiss, so I'm probably no help with your problem.

12. MASS DEFECT

same for me. the neck has a bit of noise and the bridge is dead quiet. but these are just for my modern sets. my tosin is not like that. i even checked and had another tech check if it was wired wrong. but everything was done correctly.

weird.

13. juka

juka SS.org Regular

Haven't tried the Tosins yet, but that seems to be another reason for me liking them. Was mostly referring to Moderns, but if I remember correctly the Classics and the Devins I tested had this too to a certain extend.

14. WhiteLightOfDeath

WhiteLightOfDeath Hidden Sword

I would absolutely go nuts to try the Stephen carpenter model
    I really liked the sound profile that I heard him demo
    it sounds a lot like an 81 but with some extra bite in the high mids rather than a compressed top

anyone own a Stephen carpenter set,? or a bridge ? I would buy one but I only saw them for over $200 and I really would rather maybe buy a used one.

Can you return pickups to guitar center? lets say I ordered it, threw it in and didn't like it, could I just box it and bring it back?

15. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Well that's good to know. I would've messaged fluence about it. But I have a feeling I would've never got a response... Its not that loud but its definitely noticable when you go from the bridge to neck. The bridge has zero noise, then the neck has like a white noise sort of sound ?

16. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

I haven'y played the Tosins (I detest his tone) so I can't compare, but the BKP Impulses are glorious with low tunings. I consider them FRFR pickups... very clear and don't color your sound to my ears (opposite of Juggs for example). They work really well with my KPA (Regius 7 in drop-A) and are extremely articulate.

I'm a Fluence convert (I have Moderns and SSS), but there's nothing I don't like about the BKP Impulses and I have no reason to ever change them. I can't say how they would be in a guitar close to standard tunings for anyone that cares though (every Periphery pickup is horrific IMO).

lewis likes this.
  17. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I got a bunch of these with my fluence pickups. I assume they are for the pins behind the pickup, but do they have any purpose ? 20190714_090514.jpg

18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yeah they are to hardwire the voices if you dont have a push/pull knob or whatever and just want one choice at all times

I use these in my Ibanez - I have one permantly on the neck pickup (so it stays in voice 2 at all times) and Ive kept it off the bridge pickup so that stays in voice 1 at all times.
    Didnt bother with a push/pull or anything

Noisy Humbucker and elkoki like this.
  19. Obsidian Soul

Obsidian Soul SS.org Regular

I have the new SCT607-B that comes stock with them.

I would say the guitar sounds a lot brighter than I was expecting. The bridge is very clear yet not too bright and harsh.The middle pickup is nothing special to write home about,but there's one setting that has a lot of everything,which is not mix friendly.

WhiteLightOfDeath likes this.
  20. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Are you looking for 7 string versions of the Carpenter's?

WhiteLightOfDeath likes this.