The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by steinmetzify, Aug 31, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Drink Sunny D, pet kitties.

i can't stand underwear with seams on the inner thigh. i have big legs that already rub on each other, the last thing i need is a fucking seam making the irritation worse when i work out.

Edika likes this.
  2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

If it makes you sick folk feel better, I swear a size 14, so they dont make socks in my size; I either have to wear a 13 which is a hair too small and feel like my feet are chafing after a while, or a 13-16 and have all the extra material.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Fellow sock people, check this site out: www.gobros.com

Fucking sock experts.

I highly recommend Darn Tough.

4. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Snaaaake!!!"

Sounds like an excuse to just eat them all at once (which is what I would do anyway, who am I kidding?).

Edika and steinmetzify like this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

yeah now they only count as one serving :lol:

Edika likes this.
  6. The906

The906 Contributor

The grassy park where I run my dog has been fertilized but I didn't see it until we were done. Slobber-based fertilizer coating removal commence!

Edika likes this.
  7. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Can't decide what new shoes to get. Was almost settled on a set of Adidas Terrex Swift Solos in grey/black but I found this Chinese brand RAX on AliExpress that has some pretty badass futuristic designs. Now I'm undecided again.

Edika likes this.
  8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I also need new shoes, but I'm hesitant to get anything "good" (read: anything not really cheap) cause I tend to destroy shoes within about a year.

possumkiller likes this.
  9. The906

The906 Contributor

That's not a bad run for a pair of shoes.

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Really? I was under the impression that most people's shoes last much longer than that. I end up buying reaaaaally cheap shoes (I mean like $20 wallmart kind of cheap) and about a year later they've disintegrated. I've been trying to decide what kind of value it would be to spend more on something that might be more reliable given that I spend a fair amount of time of my feet - walking, cycling, etc. I know nothing about shoes outside of the practical element of putting them on your feet so you can walk outside.

Actually, I'm pretty surprised that some of the shoes I get even last the year - given that I have a bad habit of keeping the same pair all through the winter as well - so by the time they die they've endured everything from rain and mud to snow and salt, etc.

11. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

The key is to have multiple pairs for different occasions and uses, and maintain them properly. Also stay out of cheapest possible shoes. For winter I recommend a pair of boots which can handle those conditions. I was really bummed when soles in my goodyear welt constructed combat boots cracked because of cold weather, and changing soles costs half of their price.

tedtan, possumkiller and The906 like this.
  12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I do actually have a decent pair of boots that I shoooould be using, and they've been good for at least a couple of years. But I don't use them much because I'm lazy. :)
    The multiple shoes for multiple uses thing is probably smart. There's a part of my brain that says I can get away with just one pair for everything, and I gatta convince myself otherwise.

13. sezna

sezna undermotivated

It’s the everyday wear that kills shoes, even if you just have two pairs you can rotate it helps a lot. Also non-walmart shoes. lol

XPT707FX and tedtan like this.
  14. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Spend about $75 on a pair of last season's trail runners. Online shops like 6pm.com (Zappos/Amazon affiliate) is great place to start.

Trail runners are basically somewhere in between an over-built tennis shoe and an under-built boot (still low top though). They're usually light and comfortable, but with a thicker sole that holds up better. They're often water resistant too.

I've had good luck with Keen, and you can probably find them for cheap since they're not really expensive in the first place.

possumkiller likes this.
  15. KnightBrolaire

it's raining so I can't test spray the paint I want to use for my summer build ;_;

16. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

One pair of socks? One "pair" of underwear? :facepalm: :barf:

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I definitely meant that only for shoes. :lol:

18. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Shoes are weird, bros.
    All my life I've bought the cheapest, generic-store-brandiest shoes, and they all lasted 3+ years.

Last year I actually bought 2 pairs of nicer shoes and within 6 months they had holes and started falling apart.

possumkiller likes this.
  19. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

For those of you born with the feet of a duck, swan, or other similar waterfowl... Merrell's ( Moab Mid) have been my salvation over the last 5+ years for work where I do a TON of walking/ sprinting. They're not a winter shoe as they are ventilated but they're a damn good shoe for most months.

20. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Yeah I really don't buy into the big names being of higher quality than Walmart shoes when it comes to general types like sport shoes or casual shoes. They are all made in china from synthetic materials. The longest lasting shoes I had as a kid were some (Payless??) Spaldings that were cheap but built like a tank. With stuff like work boots or dress shoes, I always go with more usually more expensive things made from actual leather. A good set of leather dress shoes can last a really long time as long as they are maintained. Work boots need to be pretty tough and well designed to last long.