The Downsides of Headless Guitars?

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
Hiya

As the headline suggests, I’m interested in hearing about the downsides of headless guitars. I’m worried about a few things. How hard are setups? Do most techs know how to work with these guitars? (My guy in town would just send it back and say no thanks, so that’s what got me thinking about this). Then, I’m wondering about the unknowns involved. Is there much difference maintenance wise?

I’m asking because I’m planning on picking up a new 6 string later in the year. I’m looking at the Kiesel Vader and the Delos headless model. I want a headless because this guitar is mostly intended to be for playing around with at the apartment unplugged. So sitting in relaxed positions and walking around with it would be easier to manage without a headstock is my thinking. I also dig the look. Something to wow people with when they visit and see it lying around, giving me an excuse to gush about the guitar if asked lol

So thanks for any and all feedback!

Peace

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Other than aesthetic preferences, I can't see any disadvantage to them as long as the hardware works as intended.

To me they just look wonky standing up, and totally "uncool". A cool headstock makes quite an impression. I really like NK headless shape, but I never considered one since I'm quite tall and they would look ridiculous on me.

Last edited:

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
The downside is they look absolutely ridiculous.
Even more applicable if it wasn't on purpose (ie- Gibson).

Not sure why the tech would turn it down unless he's just a hack all along, though.
Yeah, they do look kinda funky. Just for clarification, the tech seems to be very traditionalist, so I don’t think he has worked on them before (I live in a small town lol) and if that’s the case, he strikes me like the kinda guy who’d not want to look up how to do it. He sets up my guitars just fine, but he has tons of work and has turned down requests before.

(Mainly, he wouldn’t replace a nut to a graph tech for me, and he had me dremel out a pickup cavity instead of doing it himself to fit a himbucker because back when they were Carvin, Kiesel pickup routes didn’t fit aftermarket pups. At least on the dc 727 I had they the routes didn’t have space for open coil BKPs. I don’t fault him for the route at all, I probably wouldn’t do it for someone else unless I was a luthier, but just his approach seems cautious in that regard.)

I could be wrong, I didn’t ask so maybe it’d be perfectly fine. I was kinda more theorizing and then came to wonder if people have trouble finding techs to set up their headless guitars.

Thanks for the feedback!

Big Dumb Bitch

\(✿ ◕‿◕)/
Reaction score
I personally am a fan of headless guitars because they're lighter and comfy. My best friend has a super cool Ibanez one and I like it a lot. The downside is that playing them makes you look like an absolute doofus for some reason and they're objectively not cool. I don't own any because I look like a dick when I play one and I'm not about that lifestyle.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The downside is that they're hilariously ugly and everyone will know what a giant fucking nerd you are.

I don't own any because I look like a dick when I play one and I'm not about that lifestyle.

OWZJOg0X9_kifeTIIcT71AwkBbByINdcXT9YE1Fv4fU.jpg

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I really like headless guitars because they are great for playing at the computer in a chair and are so light. I have had a couple headless guitars that did not balance well so that is the biggest downside I have encountered.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
There are no REAL downsides.

I really want one, to carry around, flights, gigs via bike, rehersal, weight. etc. Im not going to be Paul Gilbert slim with a slim Ibanez neck profile, nor am I ever going to be so suited like Bonamassa with a Les Paul.

BUT! The downside is that every headless video out there features a guy wearing pajamas on some couch with a house plant or two next to it. It just atrocious marketing.

A real rockstar with a headless was Allan Holdsworth. And Per Nilson.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Kiesels are very easy because the bridge works so much like a typical strat style bridge as far as string height and intonation go. Literally the only thin they need to learn is how to load a string, and there are several clear videos showing how to do it on youtube.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
There are two reasons I don't buy headless. I think most of them look fine at this point, I've gotten quite used to them and I'm the only one in my band that has a headstock, haha. The reasons I'm not into them are lack of trust in hanging them in a wall hanger, even with a wider stock area post-nut, just doesn't give confidence. I also don't like the inability to attack tune, and have to either pluck the string oddly with your left hand and tune with your right, or pluck with your right and then quickly, before the note decays, adjust the tuning peg.

Other than those issues though, I'd get one. They stay in tune like absolute monsters with most of them usually being double locking and no string lengths past the bridge or nut.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
BUT! The downside is that every headless video out there features a guy wearing pajamas on some couch with a house plant or two next to it. It just atrocious marketing.

And it's always with a $400 gaming chair.
Depending on which ones (usually those made out of some repurposed live-edge furniture piece, but at a significant upcharge), they're even sure to strike the hearts of some cryptbros somewhere in the distance as they have over past occasions.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
It's funny seeing all you insecure metal bros clutching pearls about how you'll look holding one. Give your balls a tug.

So... According to your logic it's ok to consider aesthetics when purchasing a guitar, but not how it actually looks on you when you play it? :scratch:

Don't know about you, but when I buy clothes, I put them on to see if they suit me fine or not.

Last edited:

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So... According to your logic it's ok to consider aesthetics when purchasing a guitar, but not how it actually looks on you when you play it? :scratch:

Don't know about you, but when I buy clothes, I put them on to see if they suit me fine or not.
idk. I never wore skinny jeans either. Decide for yourself whether fashion is more important than function. I'll grant that I don't play out so it's not a difficult decision for me, but I also think they look better so it wouldn't affect my decision anyway.