The Devin Townsend Supermegathread!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by keithb, Apr 29, 2005.

1. GRUNTKOR

GRUNTKOR - GRANKOR

The volume thing was a conscious decision to preserve the dynamics of the music.

XPT707FX and TheShreddinHand like this.
  2. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

It's nice being able to turn up an album and it actually gets louder! You'll never hear me complain about having to go a few extra steps over the general spot my volume is at! The last Avenged Sevenfold was done that way as well....and it's an Andy Wallace mix, can't go wrong with that!

TheShreddinHand likes this.
  3. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Cool. And yeah, I have no issues with it at all, just something I had observed.

4. Dayviewer

Dayviewer Mr. Djelecaster

Finally got it, should have known this :lol:

5. Eden

Eden SS.org Regular

Been listening on and on and on...
    What a fantastic album, it's my aoty so far. I've come to love each song on the record (even genesis which had completely alienated me at first) My favorite tracks are probably Sprite (absolutely blew my mind to hear, I love that little drum part where everything else is beginning to crescendo), Spirits will Collide one me over fairly quickly, which surprised me as I initially thought it was just a by-the-numbers devy tune and yet I've just grown an emotional attachment to it.

And Singularity. Man-oh-man, what a ride. What a fun epic, I was curious how Devin would have used that much time for one song, but it's masterful, and is it safe to say that that riff in "There Be Monsters" is the best riff of the year?? I was listening at the gym and my jaw just dropped. This album is just an adventure, and is rekindled my interest in Devin's music

ppinkham, pastanator and GRUNTKOR like this.
  6. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

So, I was at the Evening With yesterday (probably one of the best shows I've been to, though you can't really compare it to anything else).

While there is no news about The Moth he talked quite a bit about Borderlands.

First of all, he doesn't play videogames, at all. It's not his thing and he wouldn't even know how to find the time for it.

The topic of the song is the constant conflict with the "muse" that brings him to write music. He said that it reflects the fears of neglecting the really important stuff (family, yourself, small moments in your life) for trying to write the perfect record.

The muse is constantly pulling him away from this "Touch me. Shine like the galaxy and woe to all who fear this" and he has to keep reminding himself that his personal life is more important than anything else.

Also he gave the best metaphor for his life, ever. "Life is like a road of shit with death at the end. While I am ploughin through this mess, records appear on the side of the road."

GRUNTKOR, p0ke and ChugThisBoy like this.
  7. ChugThisBoy

ChugThisBoy SS.org Regular

Thanks mate! Great input.

8. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Did anyone else notice the riff at 6:35 on Singularity (on the weird lo-fi guitar) sounding a lot like the riff at 4:16 on The Grand Conjuration (Opeth) ?

9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Was he joking?? That’s the kind of thing you’d see on a Hot Topic shirt back in the day!

DLG likes this.
  10. The Mirror

Nah, he was as serious as Devy can be. However of course he made it clear that it is just a metaphor for how he sees himself as a musician.

It was very much in context of how he deals with writing records and all of it was totally in line with what he said in every interview, like ever.

11. GRUNTKOR

GRUNTKOR - GRANKOR

That part makes me think of Nine Inch Nails

12. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Sure, tone-wise, but the actual notes are pretty much the same as on the Opeth song.

13. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

OMFG. That... I just... wow. I giggled in joyful disbelief at the gravity blasts. I am now going to go turn my drum kit into kindling, because honestly, why bother after that :flame:
    :holy::hsevil:

14. davemeistro

davemeistro Eye of Agamotto

It's been forever since I've posted here or played guitar even, but here's a quick and dirty cover of Hear Me :deathm:

The Mirror likes this.
  15. The Mirror

Accounting for the fact that it is often shit hard to learn Devy songs by ear (tried so for years now with Planet of the Apes), due to the tons of layers in his music, this is really great.

16. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yeah, his stuff is a mess. Back when my ears were good and I was doing tons of Opeth songs, I tried doing Skeksis. Some of that was just a disaster! And compared to some of what's come since, it's pretty clear.

17. The Mirror

Simply fuck Skeksis. Period.

To this day I haven't heard any cover that is even remotely close to what's happening. Even with the more bare-bones guitars on Atomic Clock I can't figure out what is going on. I simply gave up.

Devy should really put out Tab Books for his records. I'll be the first to buy them all.