The Carvin / Kiesel thread

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Free swamp ash body (if you get it with raw tone satin), free chambering, free royal ebony upgrade, free upgrade to the Thorium Bridge and/or Empyrean neck pickups. $50 off all 3-piece neck options, free thin neck option, free "California Burst", and then an additional $50 off these models: Delos, Headless Delos, Solo, Retro Solo, CT, CS, SH6, SH550, and the JB and PB basses.

Oh, and free "denim" finishes if you are upgrading to a master grade flamed or quilted maple top.
What are the master grade tops priced at? I'm curious how much more they are than the standard flamed and quilted tops.

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
Hmph. Tried to spec a 22 fret Delos or Theos with a Floyd and apparently that's a no go. Tried to spec an HH Retro Solo and that's a no go. Tried to spec a normal Solo with a pickguard and Floyd but neither is an option. Totally striking out here.

I'm clearly not the Kiesel demographic.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Hmph. Tried to spec a 22 fret Delos or Theos with a Floyd and apparently that's a no go. Tried to spec an HH Retro Solo and that's a no go. Tried to spec a normal Solo with a pickguard and Floyd but neither is an option. Totally striking out here.

It's cuz you and I keep hitting the 8 string Floyd wall on the builder. :lol:

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anything special I need to know when dropping dimarzios in to replace the c26 in terms of wiring with the active preamp. I haven't traced the wires, but I'm hoping I can just translate the colors between the two brands and be good to go
That should be it. They are just standard passive pickups, despite it having an add-on active preamp.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yeah, Kiesel is a Floyd or two away from getting an order from me. But unfortunately they're very "Floyd-phobic".

The Hipshot trem for the headless stuff is just such a bummer, and I need double locking so the regular Hipshot is out.

It's like they finally, mostly, have their shit together and got rid of like the only "100% no-go" for me.

I don't even care if they went back to the old Ping units, I'd take anything double locking at this point.

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, Kiesel is a Floyd or two away from getting an order from me. But unfortunately they're very "Floyd-phobic".

The Hipshot trem for the headless stuff is just such a bummer, and I need double locking so the regular Hipshot is out.

It's like they finally, mostly, have their shit together and got rid of like the only "100% no-go" for me.

I don't even care if they went back to the old Ping units, I'd take anything double locking at this point.
Im curious Max, what would you prefer they offer for headless trems instead of hipshot? I was under the impression that if we consider kiesel isn’t very niche with options, hipshot was about the only headless bridge you could expect.

I know hartung, Sophia, and rwb(trans and s trem) exist, but I’d never expect a company like kiesel who at least attempt to not be perceived as pretty bang for your buck to have those options.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What are the master grade tops priced at? I'm curious how much more they are than the standard flamed and quilted tops.
I don't know what they are at now, but this is where they were about 2019, so it should give you a start.
1656039018059.png

Indeed.

Floyds have never been an option on the Delos. Someone's trying to get Jeff to do it if 50 people order. He's agreed to it, but I don't see it coming together for 50 orders.

Theos: If I remember right, the floyd was 24-fret only since launch.

The Retro Solo is indeed only the one standard pickup config. IF it proves popular enough, they may add a "H" neck pickup option.

The first Solo was never offered with a pickguard, though.

You *might* be able to get a Solo with a Floyd if you call them, because they were offered when the model launched...but only 24 fret, and there was never a pickguard option for the Solo until the Retro Solo. Otherwise their SCB6 with the 25.5" scale option (it's 25" standard) might be your best bet for a "sort-of Tele-shaped single cut with a Floyd" from them.

1656039881600.png

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im curious Max, what would you prefer they offer for headless trems instead of hipshot? I was under the impression that if we consider kiesel isn’t very niche with options, hipshot was about the only headless bridge you could expect.

I know hartung, Sophia, and rwb(trans and s trem) exist, but I’d never expect a company like kiesel who at least attempt to not be perceived as pretty bang for your buck to have those options.

I'm just saying that the Hipshot trem doesn't interest me as it's no replacement for a double locking setup, so while I can order a 7 with a trem, it's not one I'm at all interested in.

That's why the headless stuff doesn't really do it for me.

I was finally able to track down a headless guitar with a Sophia (B3 super Strat thing), and I thought it was comparable to a regular Floyd, but I see why Kiesel won't use them, they're pretty pricey and they're really into their Hipshot partnership.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Contributor
Reaction score
Do we think Hipshot has played with the idea of a double locking system? Maybe some prototypes sitting around the conference room?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do we think Hipshot has played with the idea of a double locking system? Maybe some prototypes sitting around the conference room?

I doubt it. Non-locking is in. The Floyd patents have been gone for awhile, so it's not like they've haven't had the time.

I just don't think it's an area they care to compete in. They already took a hit from the widespread use of the Gotoh 510.

Hipshot doesn't really do much innovation these days, so anything they make is going to be a carbon copy of whatever is out there.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I'm on Max's side

I have an Aries 7 with a Floyd and it's so nice. I know they probably have some reason (sourcing, QC, who knows) for not using Floyds anymore. But I have to think there is a market they're completely missing out on. I can't order a Kiesel until they bring them back

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm on Max's side

I have an Aries 7 with a Floyd and it's so nice. I know they probably have some reason (sourcing, QC, who knows) for not using Floyds anymore. But I have to think there is a market they're completely missing out on. I can't order a Kiesel until they bring them back

The official line is that the 7-string OFR has wider string spacing which they didn't want to use, so they used the Original 1000 line. Apparently sales tanked for that option once they started offering the Hipshot, especially among their endorsed/endorsing artists. Also, combined with some hit-or-miss quality with the 1000 series.

They discontinued 7-string floyd roses almost exactly 4 years ago (July 2018), so they've had quite a long time to "correct" themselves for the market that just wasn't there for them. Make no mistake, if it was really converting to sales and profit, they'd have kept it. While there may be "a market", it doesn't seem like there's much of a 7- string Floyd  Kiesel market.

Last edited:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
The official line is that the 7-string OFR has wider string spacing which they didn't want to use, so they used the Original 1000 line. Apparently sales tanked for that option once they started offering the Hipshot, especially among their endorsed/endorsing artists. Also, combined with some hit-or-miss quality with the 1000 series.

They discontinued 7-string floyd roses almost exactly 4 years ago (July 2018), so they've had quite a long time to "correct" themselves for the market that just wasn't there for them. Make no mistake, if it was really converting to dales and profit, they'd have kept it. While there may be "a market", it doesn't seem like there's much of a 7- string Floyd  Kiesel market.
Yeah, as much as I love Floyd 8s, even Balaguer dropped them because Joe said no one orders them. So I think that Floyds in general aren’t super popular these days, and every additional string decreases the level of popularity. Lord knows I’m doing the work of Jesus by buying up as many guitars with Floyds as I can, because I want the children of the Floyd Rose employees to eat. I do it for the children, really.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

They discontinued 7-string floyd roses almost exactly 4 years ago (July 2018), so they've had quite a long time to "correct" themselves for the market that just wasn't there for them. Make no mistake, if it was really converting to sales and profit, they'd have kept it. While there may be "a market", it doesn't seem like there's much of a 7- string Floyd  Kiesel market.

It's just not worth having a separate neck SKU for locking nuts, or a second SKU for trem bodies, which is more likely.

By using the Hipshot trems they can use the same necks for all bridge styles, which means they can prepare more neck blanks ahead of time, which saves labor and lead time.

I understand why they do it, it just means I have little interest in the brand.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
If they weren't selling much, I understand. Unfortunately when I go 7 string there's two requirements for me: 1) a headstock, 2) a floyd rose

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm just saying that the Hipshot trem doesn't interest me as it's no replacement for a double locking setup, so while I can order a 7 with a trem, it's not one I'm at all interested in.

That's why the headless stuff doesn't really do it for me.

I was finally able to track down a headless guitar with a Sophia (B3 super Strat thing), and I thought it was comparable to a regular Floyd, but I see why Kiesel won't use them, they're pretty pricey and they're really into their Hipshot partnership.

oh gotcha thanks!

Might be a dumb question, but does using double-ball end strings (I know hipshot traditional headpiece allows that) improve the stability/act as quasi-double locking since the string is at a set length (hence why it was used for the Transtrem)? I read that somewhere along the lines of "headless bridges are single locking, but Steinberger's workaround was having double ball strings", and while I do have a Spirit, I don't have another headless guitar to compare.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Man all you guys have me gassing for 7 and 8 string floyds. Stop.