The Carvin / Kiesel thread

Alberto7

Silly Goose Engineering
Contributor
Reaction score
Aries vs dc727?

I have an Aries 7 with the thinner neck profile and I really love it. It's a mainstay in my collection.

A guy on FB has a DC727 for sale for an attractive price that looks nice (carving).

How do those things feel compared to Aries? Much thicker neck? Thinner?

Big difference is it's neckthru and has two humbuckers.
Can't really tell you exactly as the only Carvin/Kiesel I have ever played is my own DC727 I got in 2010.

Extremely stable and well built instrument. It (sadly) went over a year in its case, unplayed, at one point, and when I finally took it out, it was still decently in tune and the neck hadn't moved much at all. It survived a full Canadian winter like that.

The fretwork is pretty great, and the neck shape feels nice. Just as Max said, medium sized, full C shape that's nice to grip. Very inoffensive.

Mine came with C26 humbuckers, and I replaced the bridge pickup with a D-Sonic 7. Not much had to be done to it except drill a new hole for one of the mounting screws, but it's a tight fit. The C26s have two screws on one side to prevent the pickup from rocking back and forth within the cavity.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How's the QC lately? better/worse/the same?
They have their moments. Like with this guitar that's available in their in stock section. One of the admins in the group who also works at Kiesel said that the difference in the color is likely accurate and not due to the lighting. If that's the case, as a custom shop IMO something like this shouldn't even be acceptable. I'd like to see a pic of it at some point just in normal light without editing. kiesel.jpg

RadoncROCKs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I saw that one in stock and had a quick GAS moment before the headstock wtf realization

Albake21

"Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."
Reaction score
They have their moments. Like with this guitar that's available in their in stock section. One of the admins in the group who also works at Kiesel said that the difference in the color is likely accurate and not due to the lighting. If that's the case, as a custom shop IMO something like this shouldn't even be acceptable. I'd like to see a pic of it at some point just in normal light without editing. View attachment 109176
Is that aurora blue? I ordered an Aries 7 back in 2018 with that color and it came out pretty close to this. Maybe not as bad as that example, but pretty close. I actually ended up returning it for that very reason. Aurora blue looks completely different on camera with good lighting vs in person.

I'm cool with them selling these as a b-stock or as a defect, but that's the problem... they don't say anything about it. They took my Aries 7, threw it into the in stock and called it brand new, no issues. Same thing happened with my first Kiesel back in 2016 with an in stock. There was a huge paint mark on the back, but to me, it looked like it was light ring from the camera lighting... I was wrong. No mention of it anywhere.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One last question for @MaxOfMetal or @spudmunkey - if it turns out I don't like that licensed floyds, are there drop in replacements? Not sure the post dimensions compared to an OFR/1000

There have been a couple of people on their BBS who have swapped out the bridges for 7-string OFR's, and they didn't require major surgery, but weren't "a toddler could do it" easy.

It's almost a drop-in swap. The Floyd needed the treble-side hook and front of the baseplate to be ground back a bit for proper clearance though.
I also got hardened posts, as the originals apparently don't hold up to the much harder steel knives of the OFR.
The major differences are:

1) String spacing. The LFR is a tiny bit narrower. I prefer this, as string skipping is faster.
2) The springs on the OFR are spongier and less stiff. I use these on my LFR now.
3) The gold plating is better on the OFR. The LFR's gold wears REALLY quickly.
4) The OFR is cast steel. The LFR is stamped steel. Both are hard and durable.

Right now, I'm using the LFR because I actually prefer it slightly.

I'm sure someone's done it, but I don't recall any info about anyone who's replaced the LFR with an Original 1000, the trem Kiesel used on their 7s for a number of years between the LFR and the discontinuation of the Floyd on 7s. Since it's what Kiesel switched to, and because it has slightly narrower string spacing, it seems like an Original 1000 would be a better fit than an OFR, but that's not based on any first hand experience.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
There have been a couple of people on their BBS who have swapped out the bridges for 7-string OFR's, and they didn't require major surgery, but weren't "a toddler could do it" easy.

I'm sure someone's done it, but I don't recall any info about anyone who's replaced the LFR with an Original 1000, the trem Kiesel used on their 7s for a number of years between the LFR and the discontinuation of the Floyd on 7s. Since it's what Kiesel switched to, and because it has slightly narrower string spacing, it seems like an Original 1000 would be a better fit than an OFR, but that's not based on any first hand experience.
That's ok - my Kiesel actually has an original 1000 (I believe). So maybe if I get bored one day I'll try to pop it in and just visually see what I'm looking at.

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
They have their moments. Like with this guitar that's available in their in stock section. One of the admins in the group who also works at Kiesel said that the difference in the color is likely accurate and not due to the lighting. If that's the case, as a custom shop IMO something like this shouldn't even be acceptable. I'd like to see a pic of it at some point just in normal light without editing. View attachment 109176
Nice looking guitar. I'd get over the mismatched headstock.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What's weird about that one, is when you search "Aurora", there are two distinct looks. A punchy sort if aqua, and a duster light blue. This guitar seems to have both. Since it's a bolt-on, I wonder if the body and headstock were finished by two different people, and maybe they are each following a different recipe?

RadoncROCKs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What's weird about that one, is when you search "Aurora", there are two distinct looks. A punchy sort if aqua, and a duster light blue. This guitar seems to have both. Since it's a bolt-on, I wonder if the body and headstock were finished by two different people, and maybe they are each following a different recipe?

Their Aurora Blue finish seems to be quite variable but more often than not, stunning, especially on higher grade flame and quilt.

It's one I would consider strongly for a high spec Kiesel with figured top. I'd also probably get over the difference. The lighter Aurora here one the headstock is what I see more often in gallery and instagram and leans more blue denim-esque.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

It's probably more to do with the wood itself, and how the different pieces took the stain and filler better/worse. They probably didn't even see the extent of mismatch until after everything was cured and buffed.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
All this talk on my end about Carvin/Kiesel made me realize I bought a new string set for my Aries 7 that is lighter (I was using 10-59 in B, and it was hard to bend the higher strings because I'm a baby). This isn't my band guitar or anything, it's basically my home shredding guitar, my #1 really. Anyways, threw on 9-54's and did a full setup on it. WOW!

I've had Ibanez with really low action, including a RG3120 under 1.0mm. With the exception of that, I've never gotten action as low as this - and this is the only 7 string I've been able to get this low. I clocked it at a hair under 1.25mm and I didn't even bother dropping the bridge anymore even though it wasn't buzzing. Maybe if I get bored one day I'll fiddle with it.

Also not sure if it's because the neck is walnut, but this is the only neck I never have issues with around the MA season changes.

Anyways, I ordered the DC727 so expect a NGD sometime next week.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
All this talk on my end about Carvin/Kiesel made me realize I bought a new string set for my Aries 7 that is lighter (I was using 10-59 in B, and it was hard to bend the higher strings because I'm a baby). This isn't my band guitar or anything, it's basically my home shredding guitar, my #1 really. Anyways, threw on 9-54's and did a full setup on it. WOW!

I've had Ibanez with really low action, including a RG3120 under 1.0mm. With the exception of that, I've never gotten action as low as this - and this is the only 7 string I've been able to get this low. I clocked it at a hair under 1.25mm and I didn't even bother dropping the bridge anymore even though it wasn't buzzing. Maybe if I get bored one day I'll fiddle with it.

Also not sure if it's because the neck is walnut, but this is the only neck I never have issues with around the MA season changes.

Anyways, I ordered the DC727 so expect a NGD sometime next week.
I too joined the light string gauge club recently. I dunno what I was thinking before when slapping .068s on my low B/A string.

I also have a solid walnut neck and it doesn't move at ALL even in the wild back and forth weather we have here in Ohio. Like, it's rock solid.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I too joined the light string gauge club recently. I dunno what I was thinking before when slapping .068s on my low B/A string.

I also have a solid walnut neck and it doesn't move at ALL even in the wild back and forth weather we have here in Ohio. Like, it's rock solid.
Awesome. I actually order custom strings for my schecter that I tune down to A standard for my band. 10-70's I think, might be 9-70s.

I don't mind a heavy low string, but I need light gauge high strings for lead playing. Unfortunately couldn't find a stock set of strings that accomplished that for me.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So what is the sale going on? Don’t see numbers anywhere
Free swamp ash body (if you get it with raw tone satin), free chambering, free royal ebony upgrade, free upgrade to the Thorium Bridge and/or Empyrean neck pickups. $50 off all 3-piece neck options, free thin neck option, free "California Burst", and then an additional $50 off these models: Delos, Headless Delos, Solo, Retro Solo, CT, CS, SH6, SH550, and the JB and PB basses.

Oh, and free "denim" finishes if you are upgrading to a master grade flamed or quilted maple top.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Anything special I need to know when dropping dimarzios in to replace the c26 in terms of wiring with the active preamp. I haven't traced the wires, but I'm hoping I can just translate the colors between the two brands and be good to go