The Carvin / Kiesel thread

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
probably what I try for my next build but I loved the 1 piece limba neck so I think I like the pores.... kinda done with maple... nothing against it but im never looking for it now.
I think you'll like it, it's actually surprisingly chatoyant too, the light catches it in cool ways. On top of looking cool, it's smooth as silk, and my hand just flies over it.

RadoncROCKs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I want to give the one piece limba neck a try as it seems closer to wenge from a feel perspective from everything I've read

But now I know that walnut is awesome it'll be hard to change. My Aries has a three piece walnut purpleheart and the Vanquish with one piece walnut they are both amazing. Only thing I've felt similar is my Ibanez RGA Axion panga-panga/walnut neck.

Kiesel may have its haters but they make some great stuff and I love their customization options.

I really want a Skervesen or Mayones but the sticker shock freezes me when I realize I can get 2-3 Kiesels for the price in half the time and they are a known quantity.

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
I want to give the one piece limba neck a try as it seems closer to wenge from a feel perspective from everything I've read

But now I know that walnut is awesome it'll be hard to change. My Aries has a three piece walnut purpleheart and the Vanquish with one piece walnut they are both amazing. Only thing I've felt similar is my Ibanez RGA Axion panga-panga/walnut neck.

Kiesel may have its haters but they make some great stuff and I love their customization options.

I really want a Skervesen or Mayones but the sticker shock freezes me when I realize I can get 2-3 Kiesels for the price in half the time and they are a known quantity.
I have limba and wenge necks. They're not similar in feel at all. Wenge is much more porous and stiff. limba is very smooth and tight grained comparatively.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I have limba and wenge necks. They're not similar in feel at all. Wenge is much more porous and stiff. limba is very smooth and tight grained comparatively.
Yeah, I was going to hop on here and say the same thing. Limba feels more any other dense grained wood, like maple or ebony, than wenge.

RadoncROCKs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well that's very helpful and I'll stick with walnut haha saves me a few Gs of experimentation

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
How's the QC lately? better/worse/the same?
I got mine last July and there was literally not a thing wrong with it and here we are almost a year later and it hasn't moved a at all and plays as good as the day I opened it. :shrug: apparently ymmv.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Aries vs dc727?

I have an Aries 7 with the thinner neck profile and I really love it. It's a mainstay in my collection.

A guy on FB has a DC727 for sale for an attractive price that looks nice (carving).

How do those things feel compared to Aries? Much thicker neck? Thinner?

Big difference is it's neckthru and has two humbuckers.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Aries vs dc727?

I have an Aries 7 with the thinner neck profile and I really love it. It's a mainstay in my collection.

A guy on FB has a DC727 for sale for an attractive price that looks nice (carving).

Pretty sure they only have 3 neck profiles at Kiesel/Carvin. The regular then an option to go thinner or thicker. So unless noted with that feature, I'd say it's probably pretty dang close.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They were a licensed trem (I believe made by Ping) for most of their life, but there was some overlap with Carvin-branded 7s and the Original 1000 they switched to for a while.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Aries vs dc727?

Pretty sure they only have 3 neck profiles at Kiesel/Carvin. The regular then an option to go thinner or thicker. So unless noted with that feature, I'd say it's probably pretty dang close.

It really depends on how old it is.

Old pre-Kiesel DC7x7 models had rounder, more "C" shaped, medium-thin necks. Not too thick, not too thin. They felt a little wider and heftier than more recent stuff.

I think if you like the current, "regular", profile you'll find them adequate.

That's what I figured. Only other concern is I think the carvins used licensed Floyd's

They're not bad. On par with the 1000 series Korean OFR stuff on everything these days, just a bit uglier and finding replacement parts can be hit or miss.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Just something to consider when I send this lemon of an RG back. Pretty nice one for sale on Facebook

View attachment 109034
Here is the original purchaser's NGD post over on the carvin/kiesel forum:

This thread was when he ordered the guitar, with the option specs: https://www.kieselguitarsbbs.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32002&p=371449#p371449

I've never owned a Carvin 7, so I can't speak from experience, but a common refrain about their guitars from this era is that the pickup cavities are tiny.

He went with the active system which is just an active preamp: the pickups are still their normal passive pickups (I don't remember if they would be the C26 or D26 at this time...if I understand correctly, the later D26 were effectively the same pickups as the C26, just a tiny bit larger). This is important because when you start fiddling with the controls, if you just "dime" every knob, you'll actually be applying a full-throttle boost to two of them, which you may not want.
Screenshot_20220612-013043_Samsung Internet.jpg

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Here is the original purchaser's NGD post over on the carvin/kiesel forum:

This thread was when he ordered the guitar, with the option specs: https://www.kieselguitarsbbs.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32002&p=371449#p371449

I've never owned a Carvin 7, so I can't speak from experience, but a common refrain about their guitars from this era is that the pickup cavities are tiny.

He went with the active system which is just an active preamp: the pickups are still their normal passive pickups (I don't remember if they would be the C26 or D26 at this time...if I understand correctly, the later D26 were effectively the same pickups as the C26, just a tiny bit larger). This is important because when you start fiddling with the controls, if you just "dime" every knob, you'll actually be applying a full-throttle boost to two of them, which you may not want.
View attachment 109041
This is one of the most informative posts Ive received on this forum. Thanks a lot man!