Tell me about Modern Metal Amps

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by cardinal, May 14, 2019.

1. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

If you don't mind tracking down used amps, I used to have a Randall T2 and it's an absolute METAL machine.

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Since the OP already likes the 5150 and uses a lot of treble/mids and cuts bass and depth, I feel like there are already a handful of easy options just based on that. 5150II/6505+, EVH 5153, Mesa Mark III/IV/V, Peavey Invective, etc.

The 5150II was basically just a slight mod to the original circuit to make it a bit tighter on the red channel and the Invective is a Block Letter with a clean channel and built-in boost/gate. So yeah, familiar, but different enough to warrant a new amp, you know? It may even be as easy as trying a different boost to get a different flavor of chug out of the amp.

3. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Super Kraken gut shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks beautiful and very well made.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    cardinal and nedheftyfunk like this.
  4. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Ah ha! I’ve been fighting with a Recto and just figured out it was my pickups.

Put a Fishman Modern Ceramic back into my other PT8 and it is CRUSHING and TIGHT into the Reborn Triple. Man that is a great sound.

The pickup was way to thin and a bit shrill into my Marshalls so I pulled it out and forgot about it. Now my #1 is a Schecter PT8 with Dimarzios that does really well with Marshalls for that hot rod/hard rock type tone. I don’t use the low B or F# strings that often, but I think the Dimarzio/Marshall combo works well enough for the occasional foray into that zone.

So I think for I just end up dedicating a specific guitar (with the Modern Ceramic) and the Recto to the modern metal stuff that uses the low strings more often.

And it seems like the Triple Recto is going to work for me. Had just a few minutes with it before I had to leave for work (work is such a downer), but man that was a fun couple of minutes.

5. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Good to hear.

If you still have the 2 channel dual, you’ll have to tell us how it compares to the multi watt triple.

6. narad

narad SS.org Regular

How many gigahertz is that amp?

cardinal likes this.
  7. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Yeah, I'll try to shoot them all out tonight. Rev G Dual, Reborn Triple, and the 5150. Presumably they'll all sound "better" with the PT8/Modern Ceramic guitar than what I was getting with the PT8/Dimarzio guitar.

8. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

A lot going on there, but everything looks nicely labeled, full sized components, and more or less accessible without have to pull the whole board. Definitely a tight fit!

9. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

And thanks again to Deadpool for the gut shots. For comparison sake, here is (someone else's) gut shot of a Reborn Dual Rectifier, so you can see the construction methods are similar to Mesa's methods, which are very highly regarded:

[​IMG]

If I'm looking at it right, the tube sockets that you can see are the preamp tubes. The power tube sockets I think are chassis-mounted under their own board. The rectifier tubes are board-mounted off to the right. Board mounted jacks seem standard these days. The mesa has chassis-mounted pots with flying leads (just out of the picture along the bottom; you can see the flying leads coming off from the pots).

The Mesa board isn't so nicely labeled as the Victory that @Deadpool_25 posted and if for whatever reason you needed to access the power tube sockets, I think you'll have to pull at least one board, maybe several. I think Mesa left cutouts to get to the screen resistors, but in the Victory, you can see the screen resistors right there.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  10. LCW

LCW Member

ENGL Savage, Powerball, Fireball

Wizard of Ozz likes this.
  11. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I was thinking that now the Fortin 33 pedal is available again, you can try in with your Recto. They are perfect for rectos and 8 string guitars. Chug chugs that are tiiiiight

cardinal likes this.
  12. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I didn’t make any A/B clips but I did compare them. The Reborn Triple is much more immediate, aggressive/bright, and in-your-face. In comparison, the Rev G Recto just felt slow and like a blanket was over the cab. It did seem to have a cool “depth” to the low end that the tighter Triple maybe didn’t have, so it could work if you’re not tuned down this low and/or are playing a slower/looser style.

mnemonic likes this.
  13. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Try the 5150III EL34.

The Uberschall is one of my favorite amps ever and if I could ever afford one, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The Revv Generator is also a beast.

Strobe and cardinal like this.
  14. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I’m going to tune my 7 back down to f# again and play thru my Uberschall tonight. I’m curious how it will sound. Maybe second only to my Ultra Lead; the Uber has massive amounts of low end, but it’s so beautifully voiced; it’s never flubby. Very punchy and menacing.

15. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I'm such an idiot. A Rev E two-channel Dual Recto popped up for sale, and I couldn't help myself. I was too curious to see how it sounds. I'll try to hold onto the Rev G for long enough to compare them side by side. I've read that the Rev F and G used a different circuit board from the C, D, and E revs, so I'm really interested it opening them up to have a look.

Hopefully the Rev E really is brighter than the G.

narad, Deadpool_25 and StevenC like this.
  16. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

You’ll become a Recto expert on all the revisions in under two weeks :lol:

From what I remember from reading the forums, the F and later is more the Recto sound we’re familiar with, and the older pre-500 are brighter and tighter. I’d love to try a few revisions back to back but I barely even see 2 channel rev G’s for sale in the U.K.

17. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

There's a 2 channel triple on ebay at the moment, not sure what revision.

18. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

So I’ve gone back and forth with them and will try to get some better clips (I had some going but got interrupted in the middle of one...).

I’ve got them to the point to where I prefer the Dual Rec in the room but prefer the recordings of the Triple.

In the room, the Dual is thicker and meaner sounding, but it is darker/more congested. The Triple is deeper and more present with more “clarity” and note separation but just isn’t quite the growling wall of sound of the Dual.

Frustrating because listening in the room, those things make me prefer the Dual, but in a recording the Triple sounds better to me :(

(Good news is that I could be happy with either I guess. I’ve learned I’m happiest with them set to a heavy crunch, a la JCM 800 and then using an OD808 for high gain and an SD-1 for thrashy metal, just like how I use a JCM 800).

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  19. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Were you running the dual and triple at the same volume? The triple should be burying the other to an extent.

20. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

Get an MTS Randall or a Synergy rig and have all the amps.

odibrom likes this.