Tasty live studio playthrough goodness

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by KingAenarion, Dec 14, 2018.

1. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

So my band just released an album (check out my signature for the bandcamp link or just search Sky Signals on your favourite streaming/Download platform). After we were finished tracking and while I was editing and mixing we went BACK to the studio to create some playthrough videos, and this was the first one.

I am doing up a MONSTER post about the album with all sorts of tasty goodness, and I'll have heaps of extra cool content for the forum in the coming weeks, but to start, check this out. Featuring AxeFX, Helix, Ibanez RG8 and RG7 some models I don't know with pickups I'm unsure of. Korg Kronos and Roland FP-7, Sleishman custom kit + Zildjian cymbals.

It was all recorded at A-Sharp Studio's in Sydney, which is a ridiculously nice studio with an equipment list to DIE for. Mixed by yours truly.

For Reference, this is the original track that we were doing live:

The original was mixed by Steve James and produced by yours truly, whose biggest claims to fame are the Teletubbies Theme and Always Look on the Bright Side of Life from Monty Python's the Life of Brian. But Steve spent most of the 80s doing Aussie Rock legends (check out the Screaming Jets stuff).

If you have any particular questions or comments about how either the original or Live version were tracked let me know :)

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

If I don't get a chance to check this out tonight, then I definitely will tomorrow. You write cool shit, and know your way around a studio better than most here, this should be pretty cool.

TonyFlyingSquirrel likes this.
  3. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Finally, music done this way with real, pure vocals & not some rendition of the cookie monster. This is up there in quality alongside Lithium Dawn!
    Well done lads!

KingAenarion likes this.
  4. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Sounds very tight, some Dream Theater-ish goodness, don't like the vox much though...but they're serviceable I guess. The sonics are good though. Kudos for using some cool polyrhythms!

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Ok, FINALLY getting a chance to watch this, and it's fucking awesome. Surprised this didn't get more attention around here than it did, it's a cool tune, a good mix, and for a live performance, tight as hell. Very djenty opening, to a tune that thankfully doesn't sound anything like djent when it gets going. Your vocals remind me a bit of... Dead Soul Tribe meets Spock's Beard, maybe...? That doesn't quite seem right, but....

Extremely random question - I happened to stumble upon a facebook post from Sweetwater about the MD421 with a whole bunch of people commenting and bitching about how much they hate it on toms - one commenter in particular said something to the effect of "it's a great way to play the 'how to EQ your tom to actually sound like a tom' game." I think the toms sound great here, thick low and low mids with plenty of thwack from the stick. Having used the 421 rather a lot on a guitar cab, it sounds a lot like I'd have expected it to, in fact - is the hate just that it tends to give toms a very hard rock/metal sound, or did you have to process the hell out of these to get this to work? I don't have a kit of my own to experiment with, but as it stands at some point I'd kinda like to grab another 2-3 of them for the day I DO have a drum set of my own to track, or a space that I'd be able to bring a drummer into.

6. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Dude I've flat out had people say they LOVE my vocals, or HATE my vocals and that it RUINS the band. Too many dudes listening to the modern sound I feel. Sounding like Devin Townsend or Mikael Akerfeldt is all well and good but everyone does that. I've been told I sound like all sort of weird shit. Doesn't really affect me, just gives me more bands to listen to :)

I feel they're traditionally used in Rock and metal BECAUSE of their workability. You can mould them nicely to fit a mix or an aesthetic. Like a good old fashioned LDC, but with the tonal quality of a dynamic. An Audix D4 or similar has a distinct curve and transient response. An MD421 is rounder.

I mean, if you have a problem with EQing your toms either at the source or at the mix stage, like sure it's an efficiency slow down, but it feels like you're a little on the lazy side to me. It doesn't take much to get an MD421 to sound great with a little EQ.

Drew likes this.
  7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Hey, vocals are a totally subjective thing. You guys don't sound exactly like every other metal band, and I'll take that 10 times out of 10, rather than a band that fits neatly inside a mold.

And yeah, I thought the drums sounded great - I wasn't sure if that's because you threw the proverbial book at the toms, though, or that this was a pretty good example of what a MD421 sounds like on toms, and I just happen to like that sound. From the sound of it, it's the latter. :yesway: