Talk me out of a Mesa Dual Rectifier

guitar_player4_2_0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats, I love the all black ones! The regular diamond plate is pretty cool too, honestly I think Rectos are the coolest looking amps. I used to have a single recto 50w back in the day. No one seems to like those, and I didn’t really jive with it myself, but for some reason I’ve been wanting another one the last few years.

You must do NAD, it’s kind of a rule around here lol.

TheArsonistsDaughter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats!

I've been rocking a Dual Recto solo head for almost 20 years now, and it's a beast. They can be finicky, but for anyone thinking about grabbing an older one, swapping the preamp tubes to Electro-Harmonix improved the clarity quite a bit. It's a simple tweak that minimizes a lot of the classic Solo Recto complaints.

Curious about the newer Multiwatts, but these days I'm running an Axe FX 2...in which I just copied my old Dual/rack w/processor + pedal switcher rig. Have been thinking about breaking out the Dual Recto head for the band again, paired with a Fractal FX8 or maybe a Helix...which would be pretty ridiculous, to copy a head/rack rig in the Axe FX only to copy the Axe FX copy with a head and floor processor. Which means I'll probably do it...lol.

Anywho, my favorite boost with my Dual is the TC Electronic Dark Matter...kind of a sleeper pedal that no one talks about, but in a boost shootout with my Tubescreamer, Bad Monkey, and MXR 10 band, the TC had the edge...

Musiscience

Tarnished
Reaction score
Got the amp yesterday and this thing sounds so sick. That low end thump will put hair on your chest.

Scored a Duncan 805 that should arrive next week for slamming the front end.

Also thinking about an attenuator as the effects loop alters the sound a lot and the ch3 modern volume is not very progressive with loop bypassed.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got the amp yesterday and this thing sounds so sick. That low end thump will put hair on your chest.

Scored a Duncan 805 that should arrive next week for slamming the front end.

Also thinking about an attenuator as the effects loop alters the sound a lot and the ch3 modern volume is not very progressive with loop bypassed.
Congrats!!

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Congrats!

I've been rocking a Dual Recto solo head for almost 20 years now, and it's a beast. They can be finicky, but for anyone thinking about grabbing an older one, swapping the preamp tubes to Electro-Harmonix improved the clarity quite a bit. It's a simple tweak that minimizes a lot of the classic Solo Recto complaints.

Curious about the newer Multiwatts, but these days I'm running an Axe FX 2...in which I just copied my old Dual/rack w/processor + pedal switcher rig. Have been thinking about breaking out the Dual Recto head for the band again, paired with a Fractal FX8 or maybe a Helix...which would be pretty ridiculous, to copy a head/rack rig in the Axe FX only to copy the Axe FX copy with a head and floor processor. Which means I'll probably do it...lol.

Anywho, my favorite boost with my Dual is the TC Electronic Dark Matter...kind of a sleeper pedal that no one talks about, but in a boost shootout with my Tubescreamer, Bad Monkey, and MXR 10 band, the TC had the edge...

I have a Rev G dual and an FX8 -- that setup works very well and is surprisingly easy to configure. I actually have an Axe II also, but I think I am going to default back to the Recto + FX8. I think it's more fun to play on, still pretty practical, though I guess not *quite* as practical as running the Axe II as the sole source of your sound.

TheArsonistsDaughter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a Rev G dual and an FX8 -- that setup works very well and is surprisingly easy to configure. I actually have an Axe II also, but I think I am going to default back to the Recto + FX8. I think it's more fun to play on, still pretty practical, though I guess not *quite* as practical as running the Axe II as the sole source of your sound.
Cool. Yeah, I actually scored a deal on a FX8 MK2 with Fractal Expression Pedal on Guitar Center used the other day...so I have one of those on the way. I love my Axe 2, and it'll probably stay my main rig for the band, just because I can cover so much ground with it. Really, I use it like a modeling head, through a cab and all. But, I like the idea of copping some of my Axe 2 fx sounds through my amps (Early 2000's 3 channel Dual and Mark V).

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I recently put my roadster head, single recto50 and mint mesa grey taurus tolex 2x12 up for sale this past month and Fn lucky they never sold because i came to my senses a couple days ago and realized im being stupid af and have decided to keep all of them lol.
Happy NAD!

GreatGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sooo you guys did a very poor job talking me out of it. Just bought a blackout MW Dual Rec which will be on the way next week.

Not sure I'll do a NAD as everyone and their cousin's poodle know about these, but let me know if any of you would like to see one.

Congrats man! I bought a Dual Recto MW a few years back and it's been fantastic.

2 boost / low end shaping pedals I'd recommend:
Boss GE-7 - A Dual Rec MW and Boss GE-7 paired together can do almost anything.
Peppers Dirty Tree - Incredible boost tailor made for the Recto.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats man! I bought a Dual Recto MW a few years back and it's been fantastic.

2 boost / low end shaping pedals I'd recommend:
Boss GE-7 - A Dual Rec MW and Boss GE-7 paired together can do almost anything.
Peppers Dirty Tree - Incredible boost tailor made for the Recto.
You mean GE-7 in front of the amp? If so, the motion is seconded. An EQ pedal in front of the amp is under appreciated imo.

I had a Dirty Tree and sold it to @MatrixClaw
Definitely great with the Recto.

GreatGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You mean GE-7 in front of the amp? If so, the motion is seconded. An EQ pedal in front of the amp is under appreciated imo.

I had a Dirty Tree and sold it to @MatrixClaw
Definitely great with the Recto.

Absolutely. I find the Boss GE-7 to be one of the best boosts made anywhere at any price. I use it as a clean boost, and I slowly sculpt out low end until the amp is as tight and articulate as I want it to be.

The whole "take an overdrive pedal and set Drive to 0 and Level to Max" trick works because all the famous OD pedals (and most overdrive pedals in general) lop off a bunch of low end from the guitar, so you get a good boost while keeping things tight. The Boss GE-7 allows you to boost your guitar and cut lows in that exact same way, but it gives you the tools to specifically shape the low end *exactly* how it sounds best for your specific guitar and amp.

I also agree that too few people talk about or use EQ pedals going into the guitar. I don't understand that. EQ is easily the most powerful tone shaping tool there is. There's just so much you can do with it. With two EQ's, one between the guitar and amp, and another in the loop, I genuinely believe that if you know what you're doing with two EQ's like that, you can approximate almost any core tone you can imagine on 90% of the amps out there. Hell if I think my strings are a bit too old and dead sounding, all I have to do is just barely bump up the top three bands on the GE-7 and I get all that chime right back. It's nuts that EQ isn't a staple on every guitar player's board.

Last edited:

Rxcoma

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In the words of Korns amended radio version of Yall Want A Single ..

UFFGAT!!

Get a Bugera TriRec used.. you'll have even more BR00tz of you should need em.. an all around better sounding head that's PLENTY powerful WITH Infinium technology to boot. Goodbye tube biasing
And lack of interchangeability. AND YOULL SAVE SOOOO MUCH MORE MONEY WHILE LITERALLY SOUNDING H.A.M.

I assume you're a metalhead. Go to Ola's YouTube page and listen to it. And even THAT doesn't do it justice after owner every Mesa head under the sun to compare A/B at the time. Well. Not every. I guess just the Single.. the Dub. The Triple. The F100 the Nomad 55. Simul Class PowerAmps. The Studio Pre. The Triaxis. The Formula Pre. The rack mount Vtwin Pre.... some really legit Dual rec rac replica from Munich. A Custom Pre based on a dual anyway..

So a word of.advice.. you don't have to spend a fortune these days.

Bugera TriRec. BIAMP advantage eq140.. you'll get the sickest boost and it's so powerful.. if you learn it. You won't need a noise gate. REGARDLESS. you could probably get both together used for like under $800. 140s are getting hard to find. Same with that BEAUTIFUL audioarts Parametric 1500. Or 1400? Onces like.. a crossover ..shit.. well. Doesn't matter. They're extinct nearly. Pro Q status. So yeah.. and if you want a SMALLER version of something that will do the job of a mini Mesa ...I gotta say..

ITS CRIMINAL MAN! HOW THEY JUST PASSED OVER THE JOYO MJOLNIR... ITS A RIDICULOUS LIL BASTARD.. KNOW THAT!

I digress

GreatGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wait... so not only does Bugera straight up try to mooch off the Mesa Boogie name with their own brand name (Boogie / Rivera) and not only do they try to mooch the name recognition of Mesa's "Triple Rectifier" amp by naming one of their amps the "TriRec" but then those morons apply that name to a 100 watt amp with two rectifiers in the circuit as opposed to the actual Mesa Triple Rectifier's 150 watt design with three rectifiers in the circuit, you know, the entire reason the amp is named that?

So not only did they steal the brand name and the amp model name, but they applied that name to the wrong kind of amp, categorically?

Hahaha what a bunch of complete assclowns. Wow.

Like I'm glad you like the amp and it works for you, Rxcoma, that's great, but there's no excuse for that kind of intentional deceptive misleading of the market on Bugera's end.

Last edited:

SubsonicDoom99

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A Dual Rectifier with an SD 805 and a Boss GE-7 equals near perfection for me, such a simple setup that gets me such a brutally massive tone.
Had a Bugera TriRec and while I cannot say anything negative about how it sounded, it didn't last long without running into technical problems with that amp.
I know some people who've gotten them and had zero problems, hey more power to them and I'm glad it worked out for them.
I've stuck with the Dual Rec ever since then and had no issues, so it worked out for me in the end.