Talk me out of a Mesa Dual Rectifier

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
You mean buy a Recto and a Mark, right? Or did I do it wrong yet again?
If it's an option, then yeah, definitely get both. While some don't like the Roadster, I know someone who has one, and it sounds great to me - and they're different enough to warrant having both, IMO.

Then again, if your priority is variety, modelling has gotten really good - and I say that as someone who reaaaally likes to use proper tube amps.

Musiscience

Tarnished
Reaction score
I think the OP is looking for a multiwatt. The Multiwatt does great in low volume with the 50W mode, especially when you play with the loop volume and master volume.
That’s correct, I’m only looking at the multi-watt revision of the amp.

I played a 3 channel from around 2005 a few times and didn’t like it at all. It was every complaint you hear about the recto and then some. However, looking at clips from the “reborn” recto, it sounds nothing like the previous 3ch. The scooped grindy sound with huge bass remains, but it seems with less flubb, less high buzz and more clarity/articulation. The only caveat is that I never actually tried one and don’t have the opportunity to prior to buying.

Still very, very tempted…

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score

I played a 3 channel from around 2005 a few times and didn’t like it at all. It was every complaint you hear about the recto and then some. However, looking at clips from the “reborn” recto, it sounds nothing like the previous 3ch. The scooped grindy sound with huge bass remains, but it seems with less flubb, less high buzz and more clarity/articulation. The only caveat is that I never actually tried one and don’t have the opportunity to prior to buying.

I chose the Multiwatt over a 2ch Rev F for the same reasons. You won't regret it. And if you choose to sell it again, you'd just lose $100-200 considering current Boogie resale values.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score

The "Reborn" sounds like the 3CH Triple. The Dual is the worst sounding of the original 3CH. I have no idea why. I would not hesitate to buy a Reborn Dual.

Musiscience

Tarnished
Reaction score
The "Reborn" sounds like the 3CH Triple. The Dual is the worst sounding of the original 3CH. I have no idea why. I would not hesitate to buy a Reborn Dual.
That’s what I keep hearing and don’t want to dismiss this amp based on that poor iteration/experience alone.

Seems like this thread didn’t work and I’ll have to get one after all…

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I think people that say rectos are flubby and fizzy have never turned them up. It’s not an amp that can be properly experienced at low volume. I have a lot of amps that do similar tones, but nothing is quite the same. If you want one, and can afford one, get one.
like a lot of older Mesa amps a loadbox with attenuator is a necessary piece of kit to really enjoy one. or a soundproof room, or a home in the country, or whatever

anybody giving advice on what old Mesas sound like who has the volume knob at or below noon, should be ignored .. and have their amps forcibly re-homed to a happier place

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
like a lot of older Mesa amps a loadbox with attenuator is a necessary piece of kit to really enjoy one. or a soundproof room, or a home in the country, or whatever

anybody giving advice on what old Mesas sound like who has the volume knob at or below noon, should be ignored .. and have their amps forcibly re-homed to a happier place
I dunno, I really don't like the sound of my Triple Recto up that high. It gets all middy and raspy instead of chunky and grinding.

Since I got a loadbox I am finding I don't like the sound of most of my amps turned up very loud. That has actually helped me dial in my Axe-FX better, lol.

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think ive come to the realization that its the mesa recto sound i truly love when it comes to extreme metal tones, I say go for it!

Shorts_Mike

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought a used Dual Rectifier Multi-Watt one year ago for a steal of a price. Personally, I find it to be awesome and EXTREMELY versatile. Ofcourse, you have the signature wall of sound thing on the modern channel depending on how you set the EQ and boost the amp, but theres also several clips online that demonstrate just how close this thing can get to a Marshall tone with all of the options available. Honestly, you can do just about anything with this amp and it probably has the easiest to use EQ of any Mesa I've ever played and a great master volume to boot. Only criticisms I have (and its absolute nitpicking) are that there are amps with better clean and lead tones when it comes to certain applications (it's still really good, though).

Musiscience

Tarnished
Reaction score
I bought a used Dual Rectifier Multi-Watt one year ago for a steal of a price. Personally, I find it to be awesome and EXTREMELY versatile. Ofcourse, you have the signature wall of sound thing on the modern channel depending on how you set the EQ and boost the amp, but theres also several clips online that demonstrate just how close this thing can get to a Marshall tone with all of the options available. Honestly, you can do just about anything with this amp and it probably has the easiest to use EQ of any Mesa I've ever played and a great master volume to boot. Only criticisms I have (and its absolute nitpicking) are that there are amps with better clean and lead tones when it comes to certain applications (it's still really good, though).
Thanks for sharing! What kind of lead application is it not excellent at? I do a lot of leads, so this is very relevant to me.

Shorts_Mike

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! What kind of lead application is it not excellent at? I do a lot of leads, so this is very relevant to me.
To be clear, the clean and lead tones on the Dual Rectifier Multi-Watt are as good as the overwhelming majority of highly regarded high-gain amps. Use the right settings with the right pedal(s) and its great. That being said, many prefer the "searing" liquid-feeling lead tone of a Mark series amplifier. For me, I prefer my Mark V for cleans, tight rhythm and most lead scenarios. However, everything the Mark V (and just about any Mark series amp) does is extremely tight/articulate and it will not do the wall of sound thing or take boosts all that well (in my opinion). Its a very complicated amp and easy to make sound thin and shrill. On the other hand, the Dual Rectifier takes pedals like a champ and can be made to sound loose, tight or everything in-between with a more user-friendly EQ. Personally, I like mixing the two amps together but, if I had to choose only one out of the two, I'd probably take the Dual Rectifier for its simplicity and high-gain versatility.

Last edited:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To be clear, the clean and lead tones on the Dual Rectifier Multi-Watt are as good as the overwhelming majority of highly regarded high-gain amps. Use the right settings with the right pedal(s) and its great. That being said, many prefer the "searing" liquid-feeling lead tone of a Mark series amplifier. For me, I prefer my Mark V for cleans, tight rhythm and most lead scenarios. However, everything the Mark V (and just about any Mark series amp) does is extremely tight/articulate and it will not do the wall of sound thing or take boosts all that well (in my opinion). Its a very complicated amp and easy to make sound thin and shrill. On the other hand, the Dual Rectifier takes pedals like a champ and can be made to sound loose, tight or everything in-between with a more user-friendly EQ. Personally, I like mixing the two amps together but, if I had to choose only one out of the two, I'd probably take the Dual Rectifier for its simplicity and high-gain versatility.
The Mark has more of a "Fender" clean, because of the way the EQs work with the gain stages. The Rectos always sounded like a "clean" Marshall to me - never really pristine, but more like a clean AC30 with more "oomph".

riseguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Go for it. Mesa makes quality. That was favorite amp growing up. Personally, I liked it way more than the Triple Rec, which sounded over compressed and a bit too tight for my ears.

Musiscience

Tarnished
Reaction score
Sooo you guys did a very poor job talking me out of it. Just bought a blackout MW Dual Rec which will be on the way next week.

Not sure I'll do a NAD as everyone and their cousin's poodle know about these, but let me know if any of you would like to see one.

Shorts_Mike

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sooo you guys did a very poor job talking me out of it. Just bought a blackout MW Dual Rec which will be on the way next week.

Not sure I'll do a NAD as everyone and their cousin's poodle know about these, but let me know if any of you would like to see one.
I'm excited for you man! You should absolutely post a NGD. Plug that Mayones Duvell in with a tubescreamer and let modern mode rip on Channel 3.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

It was inevitable man... Hapy NA(&G)D! 👍

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score

A murdered-out, all-black Dual Rectifier is the correct decision. Don't forget to shop for overdrives after. lol

Musiscience

Tarnished
Reaction score
A murdered-out, all-black Dual Rectifier is the correct decision. Don't forget to shop for overdrives after. lol
The murdered out look is really sick. It was between that or getting a silver one powder coated to something special like a prismatic color.

I’m already on the lookout for a good drive. Plenty of them locally on the used market, so that should be a piece of cake! Im considering a few different options but will probably just end up defaulting to a Maxon OD808.