Talk me out of a Mesa Dual Rectifier

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Damn, you missed a great opportunity to plug Crate SS amps. I used to have one of those when I was 13. It was sick.

Get the Dual Rec so I can live through you.
Besides the Triaxis, 2:ninety, Mark 525, Darkglass 900, and Hotone Heart Attack, I still have a Crate GX 212 that I use for testing pedals!

What's fun is slaving the little 5 watt Heart Attack through the Crate's 120 watt SS power section for a really try-hard attempt at a solid state Recto sound.

Metaldestroyerdennis

Heavens Football Bat
Reaction score
I am quite happy with my Axe-Fx, but I do have to say the Recto 25 I had was an absolute monster. There's no replacing a recto in the room.

The only way to kill the GAS is to succumb to it IME.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For bedroom practice listen to a Joyo Zombie II instead (must be around 150$). For band rehearsals and big venues check for a triple rec or an Engl Savage mark ii.

metaljohn

SS's Only Dick Butt
Reaction score
I have a Road King v1 and its awesome, although my Mark IV is my absolute favorite. I'd say go for it unless you can find a Mark IV for a good price.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Have you actually played through one for a bit?

SSO is part of why I got a roadster. Realizing I dont like recto tone for myself is why I sold it :lol:.
Yup, SSO, Cannibal Corpse, and Testament’s The Gathering are why I bought a triple rectifier.

Sold it when I realized that it wasn’t my thing after all, but I love the sound of it when it’s someone else’s.

D-Nasty

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The flabbiness is why they sound so huge. Other amps may be tighter, but that also makes them sound wimpier.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I know what a Dual/Triple Recto can do & it ain't my bag baby!

Maybe as a specific sound someone might need on an album, but that will never be my Signature sound. Never. Ever.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I know what a Dual/Triple Recto can do & it ain't my bag baby!

Maybe as a specific sound someone might need on an album, but that will never be my Signature sound. Never. Ever.

That's fine, I'm not saying everyone has to like or use them, just saying they sound huge compared to many other amps.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tighter sounds whimpier? That's a huge, steamy pile.

It's how I hear it. In loose amps the distorted lower frequencies create a big sound with lots of balls and authority. In tighter amps it's the opposite. But tighter amps can still sound good, they just don't sound huge in the same way.

Look I'm not here to diss your amp, ok? I have tight amps too and I like a lot of tight tones. But they sound different.

D-Nasty

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's fine, I'm not saying everyone has to like or use them, just saying they sound huge compared to many other amps.

I'm not saying that everyone has to like or use anything specific either.

Also, "just saying they sound huge compared to many other amps."

I'm not however, comparing a Recto to many other amplifiers...

I'm comparing it to a Mesa Boogie Mark Series amplifier.

...& in my humble opinion a Mesa Mark is one of the best Metal amplifiers that has ever been made & I undoubtedly prefer it's tight, sexy, thickness over a Rectifier's loose, old-ass flabby, wore out, loose ass vagina anyday.

So yeah. :cool:

D-Nasty

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's how I hear it. In loose amps the distorted lower frequencies create a big sound with lots of balls and authority. In tighter amps it's the opposite. But tighter amps can still sound good, they just don't sound huge in the same way.

Look I'm not here to diss your amp, ok? I have tight amps too and I like a lot of tight tones. But they sound different.

My amp? I don't own a Mark. I own a Triple Rectifier.

Well.. let me rephrase that. OWNED. I traded it for a EBMM Axis Super Sport in which I traded for an Axe-FX. That was the best deal I ever made.

I fuckin' hated that amp. Totally unpredictable, with a Mega-Fucked Parallel Effects Loop.

I'd dial it in & the next day it would sound terrible. The Fractal sounds the same every day.

20220731-154900.jpg

Last edited:

D-Nasty

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Do you own a Mesa Boogie Rectifier amplifier?

If so... what revision & which version? I'd like to see what you're basing your opinion on.

Also, what "tight amps" do you speak of?

I agree that they do sound different. I enjoy many amplifiers. ENGL, MESA, Peavey, EVH, Diezel, Friedman, Soldano, Fryette, Bogner, KSR, etc., etc., etc.

I also enjoy different types of speakers depending on if I'm alone or with a band.

What type of speakers do you enjoy when you're alone Young Padawan?

Musiscience

Tarnished
Reaction score
You mean buy a Recto and a Mark, right? Or did I do it wrong yet again?
No, that seems like a sensible thing to do, maybe THAT is the right way!

The funny thing is that I think they are using Kempers for this tour, lol.

Oh really? That’s flattering to Kemper products because it sounded absolutely massive. Easily one of the best live tone I’ve heard to date.

KnightBrolaire

chasing the GAS dragon
Reaction score
You could look into a recto preamp like the AMT brick line or the tech 21 Paul Landers flyrig. It nails the recto tone they're known for based off the clips I've heard.
Those are cheaper ways to dip your toes into the recto sound without committing to another amp.

I miss my old triple recto sometimes but I've just realized I prefer the mark and F series more over the years. The F series does a good recto impression but can get tighter and more modern if you want it to.