T.V. shows you've been watching

zappatton2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
After watching the latest episode, Chucky is one of the few horror franchises that can switch up the tone on a dime, and still be wildly entertaining.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
People who "create" media seem to be in a very combative "fuck the fans" nature. Otherwise someone might call it "fan service," which is a M O R O N I C term to begin with.
It seems to be a point of pride among the Hollywood machine to somehow make films and shows that both piss off, and engage, the viewers. At least Handmaid's Tale still has some quality to it. Better than the Michael Bay fan piss-offs where there's not even anything to show for it once you get past the insult.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Blumhouse has a lot of sins, but Halloween was always bottom rung. Blaming Blumhouse for bad Halloween is like blaming a bad cook when you get a shit burger at McDonalds.
Did they not take the Michael Bay fan piss-off as you put it and turn it up several notches?

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Did they not take the Michael Bay fan piss-off as you put it and turn it up several notches?
No. They took a property already known for shitting on fans and breathed on the dial.

Sorry, no budging me from thinking Halloween was a tainted property long before Blumhouse batted an eye at it. Blumhouse and Halloween go together like shit and flies.

If only Blumhouse would stick to Halloween and stop shitting up the rest of the horror landscape.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No. They took a property already known for shitting on fans and breathed on the dial.

Sorry, no budging me from thinking Halloween was a tainted property long before Blumhouse batted an eye at it. Blumhouse and Halloween go together like shit and flies.

If only Blumhouse would stick to Halloween and stop shitting up the rest of the horror landscape.
They took over for Platinum Dunes in that respect. Unlike PD, though, they have much of nothing worth a shit. Platinum Dunes at least had a couple remakes that were decent (TCM, F13 for the most part).

Which Halloween sequels shit on fans in your opinion?

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They took over for Platinum Dunes in that respect. Unlike PD, though, they have much of nothing worth a shit. Platinum Dunes at least had a couple remakes that were decent (TCM, F13 for the most part).

Which Halloween sequels shit on fans in your opinion?
The ones that exist?

I never got the appeal of Halloween at all. Even the first one felt like a direct to video release back when it came out, and that was back when it didn't take much to get my interest when it came to horror. There was just nothing at all there, and certainly nothing worth making a sequel over.

There, I've spent more time writing about Halloween than I probably should.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The ones that exist?

I never got the appeal of Halloween at all. Even the first one felt like a direct to video release back when it came out, and that was back when it didn't take much to get my interest when it came to horror. There was just nothing at all there, and certainly nothing worth making a sequel over.

There, I've spent more time writing about Halloween than I probably should.
Ouch lol.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ouch lol.
I will add, I've seen them all up to about 2006 or so. Back when we still had Netflix disc subs. I've heard the fans screaming bloody murder for every single sequel, and never understood how there was enough of a base to be so rabid over it.

OK, on topic:
Started Upload, finally. Dude is uploaded to the choicest of choice heavens, then slowly starts to realize he was killed and parts of his memory were wiped having to do with his free-for-all upload program.

Horrific on the surface, with lots of funny moments along the way. The old politician running into him, telling him he was clearly killed, then laughing as he walked away going, "Yeah. you weren't killed. Nobody kills anybody. Ha!" was hysterical the way it was played.

Not the deepest or most original premise, but fun.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Started Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities the other night and have been enjoying it, aside from the second episode which was a frustrating watch. Just finished the Pickman's Mod episode and loved what they did with one of my favourite Love craft stories. Great way to expand beyond the pretty lukewarm reveal of the original story and bring it to modern TV, in my opinion.

Fun spoopy series so far, and my partner and I really dug the autopsy episode (number 3 I think?)

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Started Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities the other night and have been enjoying it, aside from the second episode which was a frustrating watch. Just finished the Pickman's Mod episode and loved what they did with one of my favourite Love craft stories. Great way to expand beyond the pretty lukewarm reveal of the original story and bring it to modern TV, in my opinion.

Fun spoopy series so far, and my partner and I really dug the autopsy episode (number 3 I think?)

Just wrapped this up (as far as what's currently out) based on your recommendation, loved every episode. Pickman's Model gave me some really fucked up dreams. Even the episodes that aren't straight HPL retellings carry the same vibes. Right up there with Love, Death & Robots In Vaulted Halls Entombed for successful screen adaptations of HPL mythos storytelling.

The Murmuring and The Viewing were my favorites so far, but every single episode delivered.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Just wrapped this up (as far as what's currently out) based on your recommendation, loved every episode. Pickman's Model gave me some really fucked up dreams. Even the episodes that aren't straight HPL retellings carry the same vibes. Right up there with Love, Death & Robots In Vaulted Halls Entombed for successful screen adaptations of HPL mythos storytelling.

The Murmuring and The Viewing were my favorites so far, but every single episode delivered.
Funny enough, reading Pickman's Model in high school for the first time also gave me some really fucked up dreams. :lol: Dreams in the Witch House was pretty decent too but quite different from what I remember of the source material.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Just finished Andor, and it's far and away the best thing to happen to Star Wars since... December 2017. I'm going as far to say it's the best D+ franchise series and nothing else comes even close.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
We started in on Love Death & Robots finally. Holy shit, what a great show. And some episodes feel like they're just a glimpse at a much, much larger world. The one with the farmers hunting the giant bugs with mechs felt like a single chapter of a great much bigger story. Even the characters felt far more fleshed out than the running time seemed to permit.

The society in the freezer episode was one that sticks with me too.

Just some great visual story-telling, all around.

Louis Cypher

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Andor is damn good star wars show
Got the last epeisode to watch but for me its been right up there with the first 2 seasons of The Mandolorian.
Here's an Empire Online review of s1 of Andor (contains spoilers btw)

How Andor Revolutionised The Star Wars Galaxy

This in that Empire article is why I think Andor worked so well and was such a breath of fresh Star Wars air:
"...If Andor explored the true monolithic scope of the Empire more than any other Star Wars entry, it also pushed beyond that exterior – depicting so clearly that evil relies on the actions of individuals to succeed. The flipside? The actions of individuals can also thwart it....... exploration of tyranny’s many tendrils – the prison-industrial complex and its direct connections to colonialism; legal corruption and police profiling; the financial demands of fuelling a rebellion; and the myriad personal costs of fighting back."

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I also enjoyed the season finale of Andor. Pretty great show overall, one of the better installments to the SW universe.

I watched the series finale of Walking Dead, not because it's good, but because I've watched so much of it in the background of Diablo 2 grinds that I figured I might as well see WTF. It wasn't entirely unsatisfying, but not something I'd go out of my way to see otherwise. Looks like they're planning a bunch of spinoffs, which I don't have high hopes for based on Fear TWD.