T.V. shows you've been watching

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Black Mirror has some great episodes. Shut up and Dance, White Christmas and Hated in the Nation are my favourite. There were some bad ones which I never finished and just looked up the twist on the wiki. By the end it was a bit predictable and just rehashing old ideas so I’m glad it never continued.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
I just rewatched Arrested Development 1-3 for the first time in years and this is the first time I realised that one Periphery song is an AD reference.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
San Junipero is also top of the BLACK Mirror list for me, but yeah agree that there's definitely some really good hits in there and a couple alright ones, but after season 3 the quality drops very suddenly.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Introduced my girlfriend to Over the Garden Wall, it's even better on the second watch, so much of it connects to the ending in ways that I didn't recall by the time I got to the ending the first time around.

Rings of Power is starting to drag quite a bit. Very little happened in the most recent episode. The Durin's Bane reveal was gratifying but we waited the entire episode for that, everything else felt like it could've been handled in 10-15 mins of exposition. The Mordor thing felt like it was also trying to be a reveal but it's like yeah.... huge volcano, Mordor, we got it the first time. Also capital WTF at the on-fire, galloping horse in the first scene. WTF???

possumkiller

Square Dance Caller
Reaction score
I just started some animated shows called edge runners and bastard. The animation is really nice but holy Jesus the story and dialogue seems on middle school level. I couldn't make it past two or three episodes of either one. Like, I could see my kids enjoying it if it weren't adult rated stuff with so much gore. What's the deal with that? Why make a kid's show that kids can't even watch?

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Introduced my girlfriend to Over the Garden Wall, it's even better on the second watch, so much of it connects to the ending in ways that I didn't recall by the time I got to the ending the first time around.

Rings of Power is starting to drag quite a bit. Very little happened in the most recent episode. The Durin's Bane reveal was gratifying but we waited the entire episode for that, everything else felt like it could've been handled in 10-15 mins of exposition. The Mordor thing felt like it was also trying to be a reveal but it's like yeah.... huge volcano, Mordor, we got it the first time. Also capital WTF at the on-fire, galloping horse in the first scene. WTF???
Yeah, so many others have done the horse fully on fire galloping through the battlefield thing, that little patch of fire on the back was pretty lackluster, considering the other effects they had going on at the time.
I just started some animated shows called edge runners and bastard. The animation is really nice but holy Jesus the story and dialogue seems on middle school level. I couldn't make it past two or three episodes of either one. Like, I could see my kids enjoying it if it weren't adult rated stuff with so much gore. What's the deal with that? Why make a kid's show that kids can't even watch?
Drugs? Imagine watching it stoned out of your mind. That's probably what the creators did too.

KnightBrolaire

chasing the GAS dragon
Reaction score
They're very clearly not kids shows lol. You want kid friendly, go watch berserk or Goblin Slayer

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Would we call Berserk kid friendly when there's torture, mutilation, and demon rape all in the ski yeah of like 6 episodes?

KnightBrolaire

chasing the GAS dragon
Reaction score
Would we call Berserk kid friendly when there's torture, mutilation, and demon rape all in the ski yeah of like 6 episodes?
Screenshot_20221011-112018.png
He's literally complaining about Edgerunners, (which has tons of gore, nudity and sex) as somehow being kid friendly because it's animated. Even shit like Yugi Oh or Naruto isn't actually kid friendly if you watch the unedited versions.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 115676
He's literally complaining about Edgerunners, (which has tons of gore, nudity and sex) as somehow being kid friendly because it's animated. Even shit like Yugi Oh or Naruto isn't actually kid friendly if you watch the unedited versions.
Wasn't sure if it was /s or not so I rolled the dice. Carry on, people!

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
Have started and almost finished the entirety of Altered Carbon, should've watched much earlier as I find it to be really enjoyable.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Have started and almost finished the entirety of Altered Carbon, should've watched much earlier as I find it to be really enjoyable.

Did a rewatch of this in the last year, it was good the second time around as well. Maybe even a little better, as I watched it when it was relatively new and lost some of the plot during the wait for S2.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
I just rewatched Arrested Development 1-3 for the first time in years and this is the first time I realised that one Periphery song is an AD reference.
So rounded out with 4 and 5.

4 is so close to being a good show, but the recut is just bad. Lots of really good bits and I like the plot generally, except they ruined Tobias.

5 in very mixed on. Part 1 is decent and part 2 isn't. They really failed on the callback storytelling thing when they tried it, and when they weren't it just didn't feel like Arrested Development. It also looks so different from earlier seasons, plus all the bad compositing edits. Was quite bloated for 16 episodes. Tobias was impossible this season, Buster was wasted, Lindsay is a huge part of the show.

However, I loved every single Ron Howard related bit in the two seasons and that they had a bit more fourth wall/meta type jokes.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Rings of Power finale. Not so bad. My initial guess as to The Stranger's identity seems to've panned out. Didn't see the other big reveal coming, I give them credit there.

I really enjoyed the Mandolarian, Book of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan so much and have been watching Andor.

Owe-me-One fell a little flat for me, but I've been enjoying Andor quite a bit, more than Bobo Feet but not quite as much as Baby Yoda.

Louis Cypher

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm enjoying Andor too, the latest episode was very good.
Still have the last 2 LotR shows to watch, after a slowish start I've really got into it so much so I rewatched the original trilogy extended editions again.

Watched the She Hulk finale, enjoyed that series too actually. Really light hearted and fun show. The finale is batshit crazy tho, in a good way. The last 10 mins or so is basically a roast of the whole MCU and everything everyone complains about it!