T.V. shows you've been watching

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IMO Season 4 of Stranger Things is easily the best season since the first one. It might be better than that, too, I haven't watched it since it came out, I just remember liking most of it while I mostly remember disliking seasons 2 and 3 with some exceptions here and there (ex I utterly love the school dance finale of season 2). Seasons 2 and 3 were pretty bad on a story level and just repeated the same shit with escalation. Oh, there's not just the big monster from season 1, there's LITTLE ONES TOO! AND MORE OF THE BIG ONE! Three tried to be different by having some gross liquidating rat FX and the mean guy from season 2 getting possessed, but it all just seemed kind of incidental.

The fourth season at least has a totally new villain (for the series, yes he's basically a Freddy Krueger ripoff in a silly rubber suit). And it tied it back into character history instead of having it be some transplant from elsewhere, etc. I think the first half of the season is a lot better than the second half, but still as a whole I at least was generally engaged through the action scenes, while with season 2 and especially 3 it was like "I don't care about ANY of this CGI bullshit just get back to the character stuff, or at least the character stuff that doesn't involve a punk gang of mutants in a different city."

Still, though, the big problems with this show for me are Eleven (she's a boring character whenever she has powers, the only time I've ever actually liked watching her was the first half of season 4), Mike (he's supposed to be "the heart" of the group but he's a sinister-looking little whiny fuck, I hate him so much, until maybe the last couple episodes of this season), and especially the action stuff. It just goes too far with CGI and results in everything feeling weightless and boring. This series wants so badly to be like the 80s movies it's trying to reference, but forgets that those movies tended to have a bare minimum of effects since effects were hard to do back then thanks to having to be practical. Movies had to be written around short little "money shots" basically, and this show doesn't do that AT ALL.

The big strength of the show is the dialogue and character stuff. Like, season 4 was the best yet in that department, IMO. I really thought the stoner pizza guy was funny, I liked stoner jonathan way more than jonathan with Nancy, I liked the will they won't they with Nancy and Steve again (he was so bad first season but has been so great ever since), and I absolutely loved just about everything with Dustin and Eddie. And jesus christ, the season finale legitimately made me emotional in a way that very, very few TV shows have ever managed with that scene with Dustin and Eddie's dad. Oof.
I want 11 gone already.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Just finished binging through the first 3 episodes of Andor. So far it feels like the most genuinely refreshing Star Wars has been since Last Jedi and Visions. None of the self indulgent fan service wankery and stands well on it's own. You can really tell Tony Gilroy had his hands all over this.

Of course Star Wars tend to start stronger than they end so it's early to properly judge, but it's off to a great start.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Started Westworld season 4 last night and we watched the first 4 episodes. Holy shit is the writing so bad this season. Everyone thinks they have a snappy one-liner but they sound like they're being written by a 13 year old, Aaron Paul continues to be terrible at delivering his lines and is still uninteresting, the plot is just doing the same things that happened in the last 3 seasons.

Season 1 is one of my favourite seasons of television, season 2 had some ups and downs but still very good, season 3 really started going downhill, and now we have this shit. My hopes weren't high but this is really disappointing so far, and I don't expect the back half to pick up the slack.

Yeah, that show is a bummer, man. The first season is so damn good and I wish they just would have kept it in line with that. I thought I saw the finale of S4 but it was actually the 2nd to last show and I was fine with it ending there, the finale didn’t add a whole lot.

It’s another show I continue watching in hopes it’ll ‘get back to it’s roots’ and because I still find the initial plot really interesting. I kind of hoped it’d end at S4 but I heard they’re definitely doing a 5 and I actually sighed when I read that.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, that show is a bummer, man. The first season is so damn good and I wish they just would have kept it in line with that. I thought I saw the finale of S4 but it was actually the 2nd to last show and I was fine with it ending there, the finale didn’t add a whole lot.

It’s another show I continue watching in hopes it’ll ‘get back to it’s roots’ and because I still find the initial plot really interesting. I kind of hoped it’d end at S4 but I heard they’re definitely doing a 5 and I actually sighed when I read that.
While HBO is in the midst of a massive purge, they signed for another season of this?

I can imagine the execs now.

"But bro? Bro? In the machine now! IN THE MACHINE NOW! IT'S REVERSE MATRIX! THE MACHINES ARE IN THE MACHINE! HOLY SHIT!"

Audience hangs head and sighs.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I don't think they could have continued in the vein of season 1, since season 1 is all about the mystery and the season ends with the reveal. They kind of wrote a limited series and I don't think there was ever going to be a way to successfully continue it.

The sequel to the OG Westworld, Futureworld, sure isn't good but at least isn't really very connected at all and has no characters in common. Maybe they should have done something like that!

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't think they could have continued in the vein of season 1, since season 1 is all about the mystery and the season ends with the reveal. They kind of wrote a limited series and I don't think there was ever going to be a way to successfully continue it.

The sequel to the OG Westworld, Futureworld, sure isn't good but at least isn't really very connected at all and has no characters in common. Maybe they should have done something like that!
I don't know, man. After season one there was a lot of chatter about how cool it would be to see the other "worlds" and then the showrunners decided to fubar that concept. I really think there were places to go after season 1, the writers just didn't have the brain-power to pull it off.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
We finished a rewatch of Community last night. The box set, since the streaming networks have removed episodes for not being properly woke. Which is hysterical to me as the whole point of the show is poking at the trends.

Anyway, that last episode? I don't think I ever saw it before. What an absolute masterpiece of meta. All the actors acting out the pitch for each character's version of season 7 was like the cherry on top of a massive ice cream sunday. Especially the Dean's pitch. I couldn't believe how well everybody nailed his quirks.

We still have the last disc extra features. I'm hoping for a few more laughs before we put it back in the time-capsule room with our other box sets.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
We finished a rewatch of Community last night. The box set, since the streaming networks have removed episodes for not being properly woke. Which is hysterical to me as the whole point of the show is poking at the trends.

Anyway, that last episode? I don't think I ever saw it before. What an absolute masterpiece of meta. All the actors acting out the pitch for each character's version of season 7 was like the cherry on top of a massive ice cream sunday. Especially the Dean's pitch. I couldn't believe how well everybody nailed his quirks.

We still have the last disc extra features. I'm hoping for a few more laughs before we put it back in the time-capsule room with our other box sets.
They removed ONE episode for including blackface. Which is stupid, since it's a minority character roleplaying as whatever those stupid dark elves are called and he's the butt of the joke. But "removing episodeS for not being properly woke" is definitely not accurate.

That is one of the best episodes, unfortunately. I have the blu-ray box set. It's too bad the picture quality is so bad on it. They crammed way too many episodes on each disc and as a result the netflix streams actually look considerably better. So, I just have to get out the set for that episode.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They removed ONE episode for including blackface. Which is stupid, since it's a minority character roleplaying as whatever those stupid dark elves are called and he's the butt of the joke. But "removing episodeS for not being properly woke" is definitely not accurate.

That is one of the best episodes, unfortunately. I have the blu-ray box set. It's too bad the picture quality is so bad on it. They crammed way too many episodes on each disc and as a result the netflix streams actually look considerably better. So, I just have to get out the set for that episode.
The DVD set looks way better than the bluray.

And, OK, "properly woke" may have been a misnomer, but I'm so decidedly sick of streamers taking down episodes and editing scenes they don't like because $reasons that usually are the equivalent of "not woke enough" or "we don't like because we're extra woke."

I understand they also edited out some scenes in Floor is Lava on stream for some silly reason. WTF?

OK, you may have got me. It may not be wokeness this time. It may be somebody with a vendetta against stupendous episodes of Community.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The DVD set looks way better than the bluray.

I understand they also edited out some scenes in Floor is Lava on stream for some silly reason. WTF?
What? What did they edit on that? That's the first I've heard of it. I haven't watched that episode much cause I mostly just rewatch the first three seasons over and over, and then that Nicolas Cage episode. So, I probably didn't notice that anything was missing.

I had the DVDs, they most definitely do not look better than the blu-ray, they have the same encoding problems endemic to DVDs which result in tons of ghosting and artifacts. Well, maybe they'd look comparable on a 480p TV! I mean, they're fine for DVDs (certainly better than abortions like that Larry Sanders show set with like 10 episodes a disc that are barely watchable), but it's still definitely much lower res.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Started Andor. I'm not familiar with the character, he's from the novels I'm guessing? It's fine but hasn't really captivated me so far. Looking less and less likely they'll ever rise to the level of Mandalorian with any of the other shows.

"But bro? Bro? In the machine now! IN THE MACHINE NOW! IT'S REVERSE MATRIX! THE MACHINES ARE IN THE MACHINE! HOLY SHIT!"

Thank you for this succinct synopsis of S3-4, now I can never watch them without wondering what I missed.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What? What did they edit on that? That's the first I've heard of it. I haven't watched that episode much cause I mostly just rewatch the first three seasons over and over, and then that Nicolas Cage episode. So, I probably didn't notice that anything was missing.

I had the DVDs, they most definitely do not look better than the blu-ray, they have the same encoding problems endemic to DVDs which result in tons of ghosting and artifacts. Well, maybe they'd look comparable on a 480p TV! I mean, they're fine for DVDs (certainly better than abortions like that Larry Sanders show set with like 10 episodes a disc that are barely watchable), but it's still definitely much lower res.
Every indication I got from my extensive thirty second googling before buying the boxset was that the DVDs were superior in every possible way to the bluray. And I saw no ghosting or artifacts beyond any of our blurays. Player dependent? *SHRUG*

I guess I'll let you fight it out with the other online warriors. I ain't got any fight left in me today.

Work's too work.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score

Netflix didn't make any cuts, they bought the syndication version.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Netflix didn't make any cuts, they bought the syndication version.
Wow, man. Amazing the amount of fail I posted there.

*SHRUG*

Somebody cut something. Fuck 'em all.

To quote one of my characters. "Fuckin' censors. Useless cock-goblins."

Yes, I'm self-quoting. I'm tired and feel like going self-referential.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Wow, man. Amazing the amount of fail I posted there.

*SHRUG*

Somebody cut something. Fuck 'em all.

To quote one of my characters. "Fuckin' censors. Useless cock-goblins."

Yes, I'm self-quoting. I'm tired and feel like going self-referential.
They weren't censoring anything, it was trimming all the episodes to 21min. See the Pilot being 26min originally.

The DnD episode being removed is 100% nonsense, I agree. Apologies, I quoted the wrong one of your posts.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They weren't censoring anything, it was trimming all the episodes to 21min. See the Pilot being 26min originally.

The DnD episode being removed is 100% nonsense, I agree. Apologies, I quoted the wrong one of your posts.
Ah, syndication. The bane of creatives.

I did notice episode lengths went weirdly long as the seasons went on. I think the longest was close to 35 minutes, which is crazy for a sitcom of that era.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Ah, syndication. The bane of creatives.

I did notice episode lengths went weirdly long as the seasons went on. I think the longest was close to 35 minutes, which is crazy for a sitcom of that era.
Yeah season 6, being on Yahoo, had no real time restrictions and they even used a few proper swears.