Superior Drummer/2.0 question

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Scriff1985, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Scriff1985

Scriff1985 Well-Known Member

So, i see a lot of threads about presets and such, which has got me curious, as i didn't really know about the in built mixer until just recently when a friend showed me (can you tell i don't tend to read manuals :rolleyes:). I've always since the first Superior drummer just bounced the tracks to Audio and mixed the raw files. Is this a common thing or do most of you just use the presets and not bounce/bounce with it already mixed?

2. Psy-Blade

Psy-Blade Well-Known Member

I never bounce the track down, I prefer to be able to go in and tweak bits when needed. I suppose if you're low on ram or disk IO capabilities its a good practice.

Anyone, Isn't 'freezing' the track similar in cubase?

3. nine squares

nine squares SS.org Regular

You can either bounce the files and import them into the project as raw audiofiles, use the built in effects or go "multi out" in your DAW and use your favorite plugins. The last one I believe is the most used here on the forum by users, that way you could also use the built in effects as a complement.

If you dont know what "multi out" is... Basically you send Superior to separate channels in your recording host (Cubase, PT, Logic, etc) instead of just using a single stereotrack.

4. Scriff1985

Ah, so would that be then treating each out as an audio track, but allow you to still tweak it within SD 2? That may save me a lot of time...

5. Kairos

Kairos Quintessentially So

Yeah, you could now edit things from within Superior. But the real advantage is that now you can add your own plugins to any piece of the kit you want. :agreed:

6. Scriff1985

Sweet, pays to ask/read the manual sometimes.

7. Kairos

Kairos Quintessentially So

I never have :D

Just read the forums, and ask questions.

8. sggod89

sggod89 yeah I take steriods

I bounce each track out separately, then import the audio wavs into my project. Its a huge VST to run in real time, so that's what I do to keep my computer from exploding.

9. S-O

S-O t(-.-t)

I prefer to use the multiout, then mix from my DAW.

10. Scriff1985

I've done a bit of messing about and I'm gunna stick doing it that way, mainly because you cant seem to save track presets for the multiouts in Cubase. :rolleyes:

11. metalfreak85

metalfreak85 Member

It really comes down to your computer. It's kind of nice having a decent computer because I can change anything, anytime I want. The built in effects and eq's make things simple and I can typically balance things on the fly without bouncing/freezing. Back on my old pc I would have to mix everything down then mix to a single stereo track before I could import and record the guitars over the top. It Blew.....Damn you DFH2.