Suggestions for artists similar to Stevie Ray Vaughan?

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are there any blues or rock guitarist lead bands that are similar to Stevie Ray Vaughan? An album worth of slower blues songs doesn't really appeal to me. The faster, fiery blues/rock combination seems more my thing. Any suggestions?

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pretty sure Kenny Wayne Shepherd is a massive SRV fanboy.
EDIT: Oh and Eric Gales gets really great too, although he also ventures into funk and soul. Those first 2 Eric Gales albums remind me of early King's X, just instead of mixing soul with prog rock/metal it's more like soul meets hard rock/blues rock.

Last edited:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd open up for Van Halen and got big SRV vibes from his set. He even tours with some of Steve's former band members IIRC

Only other artist who comes to mind is Nick Johnston, although his music is instrumental and has a lot more modern/prog-y elements

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
Maybe some Gary Moore? He's albums are all over the place but I thought there was an SRV type phase.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd open up for Van Halen and got big SRV vibes from his set. He even tours with some of Steve's former band members IIRC

Only other artist who comes to mind is Nick Johnston, although his music is instrumental and has a lot more modern/prog-y elements
Nick Johnston is awesome.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe some Gary Moore? He's albums are all over the place but I thought there was an SRV type phase.
Gary is pretty good.

I checked out two KWS songs and they weren't bad. I forgot that I enjoy the stuff I've seen from Eric Gales.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
i was checking out an awesome song by the band 'ten years after' called "id love to change the world"

anyways this song/vid kept coming up as on of the greatest woodstock performances. people came to see hendrix, but this guy apparently blew some minds...

quad7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's this old guy Jimmy James who used to play in a trio that sounds a lot like Stevey. Hit it big in England, but sort of languished for a while in the US as an opening act for a TV pop group. Poor guy died early in his career.

Omzig

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Check out Dan Patlansky's - Shelter Of Bones album, Very SRV'ish but also a bit of mayer and wilson in there

also walter trout was doing some heavy blue back in the late 80'90's

Last edited:

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i was checking out an awesome song by the band 'ten years after' called "id love to change the world"

anyways this song/vid kept coming up as on of the greatest woodstock performances. people came to see hendrix, but this guy apparently blew some minds...

I think EVH was a fan and VH (Mammoth) would play this song note for note if memory serves from VH Rising.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score

I second the Dan Patlansky suggestion