Strymon updated several of their pedals

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
290700507_10160420741016416_6515217696263728769_n.jpg

The day many of you and all of us here at Strymon have been waiting for is here. We’re beyond stoked to present to you the new and improved next-generation versions of blueSky, El Capistan, Flint, Deco, DIG, and Lex!

This new generation features added controls for each pedal, full MIDI implementation that allows for control over all parameters and up to 300 presets, as well as hardware upgrades such as an external Input switch to determine between mono or TRS stereo input, and an all-analog JFET front end that gives increased responsiveness and dynamic feel. Everything you know and love about the previous versions was kept, and taken to the next level with added control and functionality.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
I get having a ton of presets on their larger pedals, but how does accessing different ones work on the pedals pictured? (I do not own any Strymon stuff so I'm clueless)

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I get having a ton of presets on their larger pedals, but how does accessing different ones work on the pedals pictured? (I do not own any Strymon stuff so I'm clueless)
On the old versions you had a slot for one preset (plus the face settings), but it looks like you have access to the new presets on this one via MIDI.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Only the Blue Sky seems to have a favorite switch built in. That lets you switch between one saved preset and the current knob positions. For everything else you need MIDI or Strymon Favorite switch.

Working with presets using MIDI is really easy. Send a PC message, set your knobs and hold a switch on the pedal to save it. That’s how it works on my Strymon Riverside at least.

I think these upgrades are very welcome. Interested if the pedals sound different from the old ones.

Most likely this update is heavily driven by component supply where unifying them for the ARM processor lets Strymon put out pedals without running into supply issues or Analog Devices discontinuing their older chips.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I don't have a *real* need to switch out my existing Flint and El Cap, but it's cool to see some of these older pedals get some updated features like the more recent ones have :yesway:

I had a Blue Sky years ago and my main beef with it was the lack of control over the modulation and shimmer level relative to the rest of the reverb signal. I'm glad they've addressed those things in case I ever end up wanting that sound again :D

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love Strymon pedals but strangely enough I find I’m not interested in these right now. If I was to get one it’d probably be the Flint but I already have one and don’t need the extra functionality. I also have an ElCap and while it’s awesome it’s currently riding the pine because I’m totally in love with the Keeley Halo.

I’m curious what they do next that’s actually new.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love Strymon pedals but strangely enough I find I’m not interested in these right now. If I was to get one it’d probably be the Flint but I already have one and don’t need the extra functionality. I also have an ElCap and while it’s awesome it’s currently riding the pine because I’m totally in love with the Keeley Halo.

I’m curious what they do next that’s actually new.
Yeah I sold my V1 Flint in anticipation of these getting released but I already have a Volante and Nightsky so have no real need to get any of these.

If these had been available when I was building my board I would have probably gone with a MIDI controlled Flint and El Cap for their simplicity and more compact size.

The Blue Sky is the best upgrade here as it has a much more flexible feature set now. Shimmer on any verb, quick modulation settings. I have always hated how many reverb pedals are "you get modulation on this type, you get shimmer on this type" rather than "I like this verb type, let's add some modulation and shimmer on it" like you can do with the Nightsky.

Ben Pinkus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a Blue sky and El Cap, and have been gasing for a Flint.
I may get the new Blue sky and put that on a different board as agree the feature set here is much better, don't think I need the extra functionality for the El Cap, and unsure on the new Flint vs Old Flint.
Will be interesting to a see a side by side of old vs new sound wise - I imagine it won't be that different?

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Will be interesting to a see a side by side of old vs new sound wise - I imagine it won't be that different?
Probably more a question of reworked algorithms than processing power. The old ones were already high fidelity.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
These companies (I'll include Source Audio, ElectroHarmonic and others alike) could do a multiFX unit gathering all these nice FX in a grid like FX distribution and with multiple instances per FX, all controllable via full MIDI implementation in 1 (max 2) rack units, with the 4 cable method connection to amps in mind. I'm sure they'd compete nicely against Line6 and Fractal... pity there's no vision there...

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
the remastered greatest hits of the pedal world lol. I'm glad this makes people happy I guess, if this really is a big improvement and people will enjoy it that's all that matters. seems like they could have added different voicings or types of sounds or different controls or more modes etc... but really I haven't been a pedal guy for while now so this really isn't even for me.

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
These companies (I'll include Source Audio, ElectroHarmonic and others alike) could do a multiFX unit gathering all these nice FX in a grid like FX distribution and with multiple instances per FX, all controllable via full MIDI implementation in 1 (max 2) rack units, with the 4 cable method connection to amps in mind. I'm sure they'd compete nicely against Line6 and Fractal... pity there's no vision there...

yes, agree. this is something I would buy.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It’s an interesting thought and has been floating around for quite a while now. I think the difficulty is in how to implement. Let’s say they built a rack unit or MFX pedal with (basically) Sunset, Riverside, Mobius, Timeline, and BigSky algorithms in it. Maybe they throw the Iridium in there too. What do they charge for that? And then do they end up competing with Helix and AxeFX both of which have a lot more stuff in the box?

I’m one who’d still be interested in a MFX from them but having the FM9 it would have to be really awesome and at a great price for me to be willing to pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It’s an interesting thought and has been floating around for quite a while now. I think the difficulty is in how to implement. Let’s say they built a rack unit or MFX pedal with (basically) Sunset, Riverside, Mobius, Timeline, and BigSky algorithms in it. Maybe they throw the Iridium in there too. What do they charge for that? And then do they end up competing with Helix and AxeFX both of which have a lot more stuff in the box.

I’m one who’d still be interested in a MFX from them but having the FM9 it would have to be really awesome and at a great price for me to be willing to pull the trigger.
That would be engineering and economics conversation. Obviously the price couldn't be the linear sum of those fxs... and if you're already in the FM9 why would you really look into this? The target would be for those looking for a modern/recent fx unit to pair with the preferred amp, either in pedal or rack format... hey, one can dream, right?

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That would be engineering and economics conversation. Obviously the price couldn't be the linear sum of those fxs... and if you're already in the FM9 why would you really look into this? The target would be for those looking for a modern/recent fx unit to pair with the preferred amp, either in pedal or rack format... hey, one can dream, right?
Yeah definitely. I actually use my FM9 with my real amps more often than not. 4CM is still a great thing. And as it’s conceivable that Strymon could put their Iridium in the box, the amp/cab modeling is possibly relevant.

I agree you wouldn’t just add up the costs of individual pedals but my guess is you’d still be in the $1200-1500 range.

Don’t get me wrong—I’m all for the idea. I’m just saying I’m not shocked they haven’t done it yet and I wouldn’t be shocked if they never do. On the other hand I also wouldn’t be shocked if they eventually do make it lol

Reaction score
Yeah definitely. I actually use my FM9 with my real amps more often than not. 4CM is still a great thing. And as it’s conceivable that Strymon could put their Iridium in the box, the amp/cab modeling is possibly relevant.

I agree you wouldn’t just add up the costs of individual pedals but my guess is you’d still be in the $1200-1500 range.

Don’t get me wrong—I’m all for the idea. I’m just saying I’m not shocked they haven’t done it yet and I wouldn’t be shocked if they never do. On the other hand I also wouldn’t be shocked if they eventually do make it lol
... why do you think TC Electronics left the guitar rack game behind? Because pedals are more profitable. An isolated pedal with the exact same FX as one in a rack multiFX is more expensive for the end user. Say, if Fractal would ever enter the pedal game, each pedal would be about 300 to 400 €/$ each. The amount of FX in the Axe, would mean that the exact same hardware in pedal platform would value at least about 10k... pedals are a decision on economics that most brands did and do and because in reality, most only use a small bunch of FXs that a multiFX unit has. I'm mostly using EQ Compression and Reverb on my G-Force in PSIORB's... so far that is. When I'm jamming late at night I do in fact fly over to Pluto with delays, pitch shifters, chorus... but I haven't used those sounds yet composing in band context...

4Eyes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Probably more a question of reworked algorithms than processing power. The old ones were already high fidelity.
I would say that DSPs that they've used for the old pedals either ended their life cycle or simply supply is limited. either way, I'm pretty sure they could switch to different DSPs without end users noticing, so kudos to them for bringing some neat features to those small pedals.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would say that DSPs that they've used for the old pedals either ended their life cycle or simply supply is limited. either way, I'm pretty sure they could switch to different DSPs without end users noticing, so kudos to them for bringing some neat features to those small pedals.
The Analog Devices processor is still in production but supply could definitely be a problem.

I would not be surprised if there's a silent switch to these for the Volante/Nightsky/Riverside/Sunset for example.