Tree

-________-
Reaction score
So, I’ve been banging my head on the proverbial wall for a while now. Realistically, I know it’s not possible without buying a special set of strings, but, I’m a bum and like just buying packs, so here goes:

I’ve found my ideal balance for strings and setup/tension overall to be on my 7s that are 27”-25.5” with a 10-59 set tuned to Bb standard/Drop G#. What would be the closest approximation to this on a straight 26.5” tuned a half step lower (A standard/Drop G)?

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
So, I’ve been banging my head on the proverbial wall…
(See Q above, replying to notif Tree & minimize clutter)

Honestly the same set would get you pretty damn close to the same ballpark. Tension on the high strings is v similar, your third string being a smidge lighter, and the wound strings each have about 2-3 pounds less tension overall. Provided you’re not gorilla gripping this thing, it should play just fine & not be too different in tension

Even a custom set with each string up a singular (available) gauge would be a noticeably stiffer feeling than your fanned guitar, so yeah, same exact set is your best bet

Fear not the loose strings, my strat is strung up with an EB 8-38 set & I *LOVE* it

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
(See Q above, replying to notif Tree & minimize clutter)

Honestly the same set would get you pretty damn close to the same ballpark. Tension on the high strings is v similar, your third string being a smidge lighter, and the wound strings each have about 2-3 pounds less tension overall. Provided you’re not gorilla gripping this thing, it should play just fine & not be too different in tension

Even a custom set with each string up a singular (available) gauge would be a noticeably stiffer feeling than your fanned guitar, so yeah, same exact set is your best bet

Fear not the loose strings, my strat is strung up with an EB 8-38 set & I *LOVE* it
That’s what I’ve been doing so far, same set and same brand. It’s not bad at all, just missing a little something something. :lol:
I guess that’s just the trade off of Multiscale vs straight. I may bump up the two low strings to a 49 and 62 and see how that treats me. I’m no stranger to using lighter strings, though. When my old band was using Drop C pretty exclusively I was using a regular 10-46 set and loved it.

Tree

-________-
Reaction score

ixlramp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I added a little segment to my gauge translator to suggest a feel match when working with different scale lengths
Nice. I assume this works as you have mentioned elsewhere, multiplying the tension by the scale ratio?

Winspear

Tom Winspear
Reaction score
Nice. I assume this works as you have mentioned elsewhere, multiplying the tension by the scale ratio?
Indeed! I find that guideline to be very reliable having tested it across a few guitars now - so its working on a square root of the difference between the scale lengths to adjust the tension, rather than the full difference.