String Tension Super Thread (Got a string question? Post it here!)

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by MaxOfMetal, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Frosty the Snowperson

Frosty the Snowperson Weirdo

But the prices there seem good. I'm assuming US dollars.

2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

You would be better off with something like this.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product9784.html

Something 28" or higher is what you are looking for. That one I linked is 28.625"

EverDream and bostjan like this.
  3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Yeah, @Frosty the Snowperson , the longer the scale length, the better, if you are tuning that low. That one, in particular, has a cool Floyd Rose trem and an ebony fretboard, for $600, so I'd say that'd be a good bet. If you could find something longer that also checks off all of your boxes, then I'd say go for that.

EverDream likes this.
  4. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

Anything with 727 or 728 in the name should be good enough for you, that would be 27" or 28" scale respectively. They have a few 7-strings of both scale lengths in stock right now.

5. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

If you don't mind fanned frets then I'd go with this: http://www.rondomusic.com/intrepidpro72730ebcatp.html, or this (if you prefer passive pickups): http://www.rondomusic.com/product9352.html

Both are 27" - 30" multi-scale (have fanned frets) and have an ebony fretboard, and are $600 US dollars. As of the time of this post, there are 3 in stock of the one with active pickups (the first one I posted), and only 1 left in stock of the one with passive pickups (the second one I posted).

But I'd go with the guitar the other two guys mentioned above though if you prefer one with a Trem and better pickups (Duncan Blackouts), or if you don't like fanned frets (although it is 28.625", which will work, but 30" would be more ideal for tuning down to D1 IMO). I checked and there are 4 in stock of that one (as of the time of this post).

The link for that one again was: http://www.rondomusic.com/product9784.html

Actually if you are talking about Agile guitars, the 728 would be 28.625".

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    bostjan and LeviathanKiller like this.
  6. Preacher

Preacher Lord of Beer

whats gauges should i throw on to a 25.5" scale 7 string for the tuning GCGCGCe (low to high), with a floating bridge? I like quite a tight tension as i tend to do a lot of fast shred as I play mostly extreme metal.

7. Rocks256

Rocks256 SS.org Regular

G#/ Ab tuning for 7 string 26'5 (schecter) Medium balanced tension 72+56-11 ?

8. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I like the D'Addario sets. I'm currently using the EXL110-7 set on a 26.5" guitar in Drop G.
    Doesn't seem like the normal sets are offered in a heavier gauge for 7-string but they do have their NYXL line heavier in an 11-64 set.

D'Addario sets have the most balanced tension out of all of the easily available 7-string sets offered on Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, etc.
    LaBella are great too but not as balanced as the D'Addario ones. Here's a set you might like.

As you can see, the D'Addario beats out the balance of the LaBella in a dropped tuning really really well.

[​IMG]

The tension tool I used is here. Thanks to one of our forum members
    You'll have to select a 7-string set and edit it to match a set since there aren't too many built-in right now. The NYXLs and LaBella set I had to edit in. I placed the name in for the graph with Paint. lol

9. deigo

deigo SS.org Regular

Is the tension ok for you? Trying to chose between those and NYXL1164 set.

10. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I think maybe it'd be better at Drop G#. Everything is fine really it's just that I slide my low G off the fretboard sometimes. Could be user error. Haven't tried them on this particular scale in that tuning long enough.

deigo likes this.
  11. Rocks256

Rocks256 SS.org Regular

I am thinking of this Custom Set for Ab/G# :)

Might pick Daddario 11-52 + Single 70

upload_2018-12-8_22-16-6.png

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  12. Aso

Aso Single Hum Zealot Contributor

I need help figuring out strings for my baritone Jackson King V and all these calculators confuse me.
    Trying to get similar tension as 10's on my 25.5 scale King V. The baritone is tuned to B standard and I am not sure what currently on the guitar. The low strings just feel too bulky and the tension feels like it's more than on my 25.5 guitars.

13. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

I have a simple 'conversion' calculator on my website for stuff like this, see my signature.
    The D'addario baritone 13-62 set is perfect for B coming from 10-46, because it's all the same gauges above the 62, and a 62 feels like a 46 E. However, with an increase in scale length too you'd probably want to drop down to 12-58, depending what the scale is.

https://www.stringjoy.com/guitarstr...ngs/heavy-12-gauge-electric-guitar-strings-2/
    I would suggest you swap out that 20p for a 22w with the dropdown menu. Depends if you want it to feel like a 3rd treble string still, or would rather have just 2 treble strings more like the bottom of a 7 string.

14. Aso

Aso Single Hum Zealot Contributor

Thanks. I will try those suggestions
    I see I forgot to put it's a 27" scale six string baritone.

15. bmth4111

bmth4111 SS.org Regular

Hey guys I'm using a 12-60,74 on a 25.5 scale Floyd guitar for gcgcfad I have four springs on the trem and the claw screwed in all the way. My tension is still to loose for me especially on the 7th and sixth strings. I tried thicker gauged on the 7th string but the sound becomes less defined and to round sounding. usually use 1.14 picks.What should I do, I want a higher tension but still want to stay on a 25.5 scale.

16. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

I'm afraid there's not really a solution. The 74 is about the same tension as a regular 36 A string downtuned to G, so is a little loose indeed. 60 C is decent but if you're finding it loose, and using a 12 on the high D, you clearly have higher tension preference. I'm afraid there's nothing that can be done to remedy the dark tone on a short scale, this is the benefit of baritone guitars. At standard scale in such tunings you are stuck with either dark tone (thick strings) or light tension (loose strings bright tone). Thick strings simply can't vibrate on short lengths and sound their upper harmonics properly - this is why it sounds darker playing high up the neck.
    You might try Kalium strings however. They are wound in a way which makes them vibrate and sound a bit better. Their 74 for example could sound more like a typical 70 in terms of brightness. Still, too much for 25.5 tonally in my opinion