String Questions

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Harmsown, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Harmsown

Harmsown Well-Known Member

I joined this forum at the right time. Hopefully you guys can help me out. I just picked up a new RG7321. I got a great sound out of it right away, despite the light gauge strings and factory pick ups. So i swapped in Dimarzios (crunch lab/liquifier) and ernie ball 11's. Aaannndd the great tone went away. Swapped back to my factory Ibanez pick up...still crap. So i think it might have been the strings....ive been using ernie ball for years and never knew them to be dull, but this is seeming like the problem. Also i know about the ibanez and dimarzio wiring differences so im sure the wiring is correct. I think the strings on the guitar were d'addario (colored rings)... So has anyone else seen this? Reccomendations for 7 string set? I just want the bright tone back!!!

Thanks in advance.

2. wat

wat SS.org Regular

I guess try a new set of strings. Maybe you got a set out of a bad batch. Do they sound different acoustically?

3. wat

wat SS.org Regular

And by the way, I don't think any of the Ernie Ball 7 string sets have a big enough low string. The PowerSlinky set has the biggest one, a .058, which IMO is far less than ideal for B and out of the question for anything lower. IMO, if you really wanna get nice, big, clear notes I'd order custom sets online and go with at least a .62 or higher depending on your tuning.

:2cents:

4. guitarfreak1387

guitarfreak1387 squirrel chaser

if they are colored ball ends they are most likely daddarios.

iv had a few sets from them that were dull right out of that package. some stores have strings that are old as hell still on their shelf. daddario changed the packaging but i dont remember when and i still see the old style on the shelf.

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

The change in sound may have also come from using 11's since the guitar comes stock with 9's

Thicker strings will have more bass and less "snap" than thinner strings, so maybe try a D'addario 10-59 set or a 9-54 set which is what came stock on the guitar IIRC.

At least for me, EB strings always lose life waaay too fast and sound dull after about a day while D'addario and Circle K's keep the new sound for around 2-3 days but are usable for far longer than EB.

6. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Did you change tunings when you replaced the factory strings?
    If you dropped tuning by a whole step then the tension should be close to the same.

Sometimes when increasing tension dramatically the fundamental gets stronger and more solid, but the harmonic overtones decrease because the string isn't vibrating with as wide of loop.

7. Harmsown

Harmsown Well-Known Member

This is pretty much what I was suspecting. I am planning on swapping out the EB's for some D'addario 10's today after work. I think I'm going to get a few different sets (10's 9's and 11's) just to see what the tonal difference is between them. It feels like the low .56 is just dead. And its depressing. I actually recorded two scratch tracks, one before the change and one after I'll have to post it so you guys can hear the difference.

8. Angus Clark

Angus Clark SS.org Regular

Just switched from Ernie ball 10-46 + 62 to the daddario 10-59. I did it purely for the sake of convenience (plus the fact that strings are way cheaper in Japan than in England), but I'm really digging the feel and tone. The lighter gauge bottom string definitely sounds brighter.