String Gauges for a 27" scale Agile

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Vince Caruana, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Vince Caruana

Vince Caruana Vinsanity

I'm buying an agile relatively soon and I'm looking for a good string set. I Want a lot of tension in standard and somewhat average tension a half step down. I play a lot of faster material and would like my strings to have a lot of tightness and sustain, especially on the low b and f, in standard AND a half step without using something crazy like a 90 gauge etc. Id like a pretty balanced set but I do like my low b a "little" loose, not a ton. For example I'm using the ernie ball 10-74 set right now. Its a pretty unbalanced set but my only problem is with the low b and low f really. I would like to try circle K strings. Somewhere around the 10-80 range. Suggestions would be awesome.

2. Vince Caruana

Vince Caruana Vinsanity

I'm thinking about this set, not sure though. I want a lot of tension in standard, and somewhat average tension a half step down.

.082 .061 .045 .033 .024 .018p .014p .010p

3. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

Never mind what i said. Since reading what you like in your second post I think that that set will match your preferences perfectly. At your longer scale, those .010s should almost feel like .011's on a tele in standard, and then down a half step it will feel like .010's on a tele in standard.

4. Black Mamba

Black Mamba SS.org Regular

5. Vince Caruana

Vince Caruana Vinsanity

I checked these out and they sound awesome .082 .061 .045 .033 .024 .017p .013p .009p. I have been thinking the 10 on the high e might be a little much but Ive never heard of anyone have a problem with them. Thanks for the advice man.

6. Vince Caruana

Vince Caruana Vinsanity

7. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

If you consider a set of .011's to be a lot in standard on your average fender then they should be exactly "one lot" :lol: when a half step down on your 27" scale Agile. something like this: .086 .065 .049 .037 .027 .019 .015 .011. I personally wouldn't go higher than this, especially on the bass end for tone reasons.

I am editing this to add that these are scary scary strings for standard tuning. I'd stick to the tens if you ever want to do standard.

8. Vince Caruana

Vince Caruana Vinsanity

Ehhhhhh I dont bout 11's that seems a little crazy. Think ill start with the 10-82 and get a feel for em. Not to mention 86 sounds like it'd be way to bassy.