Strat Neck Tone - How Does It Sound So Damn Good And How To Replicate

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by ekulggats, May 20, 2019.

1. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I believe if you fill any cavities with straw men all tonal differences are obviated.

Emperoff and Hollowway like this.
  2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Those ESPs and Deans are pretty cool. The guitar I'm refering to, though was before piezos were a big deal. There were acoustics with screws in the fretboard with a coil in the heel. I can't find any reference to it online, though.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Ibanez and Yamaha were messing around with the pickup-inside-neck thing. That might help when searching. I remember what you're talking about, but the specifics have been lost to time and booze.

4. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic &#169 Contributor

Leave grandma alone!

3B6FF250-366F-40B4-AF41-0A1FD0EBAA05.jpeg

I would argue that’s enough to make some difference, but that’s just my :2c:. I just know that my Peavey SSS “strats” without pickguards sound different. Vintage strat pickups, hard rock maple neck, and similar body woods. So... similar but certainly not same guitars... but to my non boutique ears they sound noticeably different. Then again, I know which guitar I’m playing so a lot of reporting bias there.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  5. Jason B

Jason B Unbanned

Is that to say at least two of those guitars in your sample pool sound identical?

6. secretpizza

secretpizza SS.org Regular

Holy shit, that website is straight up bönkers. If you filled a D&D witch’s cauldron with Lisa frank stickers and tossed Prince’s guitar inside, I’m pretty sure this is what it would produce.

USMarine75 and mlp187 like this.
  7. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic &#169 Contributor

Well... I have 110+... so... yes? :rofl:

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

:shrug:

I'm all for digging into the minutiae of stuff like old Fenders. Messing with different finishes on the trem blocks, differences between threading on neck bolts, two vs. three ply guards, bent "FENDER" saddles vs stamped "F" saddles, crimped or non-crimped ashtray, etc. It's all interesting stuff, but it's mostly meaningless in practice.

I've worked on hundreds of Strats, and owned a dozen or so, all kinds of brands and specs. All kinds of different routing too. Did they all sound identical? Not at all. Did they sound like "Strats" mostly. Did any sound like a semi-hollow? Not really. Full hollow? Not that I can remember.

9. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Your post made me laugh because that pretty much what I went through :)

[​IMG]

After having bought a Charvel with the Split Coil ability and it didn't sounded like Strat, then Moding a Jackson SDX to have a true Single Coil on the Neck position (crappy one on the Pic later replaced by the amazing Dimarzio Area 67) but still there is something missing... last week I finally decided to get my first a proper Strat :)

Now a thing I also noticed is, I'm used to Single Coils on 500K pots due to the Humbucker, and it seems now that on the Strat with the 250k pots they kinda "loose" a bit of punch that I'm used to. But I'm resisting the urge to go change anything pickup and electronic wise.

adrianb likes this.