Strap lock lol

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
Was just playing a Les Paul and the front strap pin pulled straight out of the body. Wooooooo! That'll wake you up. The strap lock did nothing! Haha.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Les Pauls use a fatter screw than most strap locks come with. Someone used to make Schaller style buttons and screws specifically for Gibsons; if I remember who, I’ll post a link.

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
Yeah, this is a used guitar with strap locks and it sure seems like that screw was just too small. Thankfully I caught the guitar before it fell to the floor.

Just kinda funny that the prior owner was trying to make the guitar less likely to slip to the floor and instead almost caused that to happen

Last edited:

pahulkster

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had that happen live with my Jem when the screw pulled right out. Had to pull a Jethro Tull and finish the song (last song thankfully). Always a sketchy thing to have happen. Pretty much a guarantee it would pop the headstock on a Les Paul so good catch.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Newer Schaller S-Locks are a single piece (straplock/screw) with the screw end of american Gibson size. Would be a good replacement if your problem was they used the screw the older straplocks came with.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
You gotta watch out cause the ones with little quick realease ball bearings fail too. Any eye-screw with thick leather or paracord is the most secure. As long as it's foundation is stable. And straps with any kind of plastic holding it together. Reunion Blues are worth it although one piece looks like metal and is actually plastic.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty sure the upper horn on my S2 has the screw glued in. Once a straplock fails you start to check them every time you grab a guitar. Same thing with the washer on the jack :lol:

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pretty sure the upper horn on my S2 has the screw glued in. Once a straplock fails you start to check them every time you grab a guitar. Same thing with the washer on the jack :lol:
I've dropped my LP standard so many times due to strap lock failures. Almost dropped it yesterday when I was noodlin' for a few minutes in between meetings.

I have the old style schaller ones on it and I kinda hate them. The horse shoe will rotate around and be upside down at some point and pop, there it goes.... I need to swap them out or just use the d'addario auto lock straps like I do on my other guitars. The balance is just kinda weird with those straps since they have that big bulky plastic on the ends.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Reminds me of the time I put my old LP on a hanging mount and still had my hand on it, and tried to "let go" but it kept coming down with me in my hand. Thinking I had missed the grip of the hanger, I look up and see somehow I must have missed the stud installing the hanger and this hang was the final one and it had ripped out of the wall.

That could have happened any time, but I was lucky I was holding the instrument when it finally gave up.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
The ones im talking about are just locks. No issues thrashing around for a year or so with them.

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
I quit all mechanical strap locks after multiple failures due to wear.

Grolsch washers for me 100%. Quiet, cheap, light and as long as your strap holes are not too big (an easy mod) failsafe.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The only reliable straplock systems are the clip ones like Budda described, and you can also find overzise strap buttons that most straps will not come off of. I opt for the oversize buttons these days, no moving parts. I have broken every other kind, and had them all drop my guitars on the floor.

EDIT: I had a pair of strap buttons that were designed like a mushroom with a very oversized "Head" about the diameter of a nickel, with a trapezoid shape cut out of one side so you could slip a strap around it. It kind of look like a funky Pac-Man from "above." I since sold the guitar that had these on it, but these were the best strap locks I have ever used. I have neither been able to find the original product, nor the brand anywhere on the Internet.

Throw a toothpick or two in with some wood glue, then screw the straplocks in. It'll cure overnight and you'll be golden.

Probably not the biggest deal, but I do recommend that you let this cure up and drill a new hole instead of just screwing into wet glue for cleaner results. Give it a couple days to make sure the glue cures all the way down, when I only wait 24hrs I still get curlicues of partially wet glue on the bit. You can wipe the excess glue off immediately and cut the toothpicks flush once its all cured up.

Last edited:

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
strapblocks.jpg

I started using these Ernie Ball Strap Blocks after trying them out. It's just a rubber washer that sits wedged between the strap pin and strap itself. No mechanisms, rescrewing, no plastic, and they're a few bucks. I will never use strap locks again.

DarrellM5

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
View attachment 109632

I started using these Ernie Ball Strap Blocks after trying them out. It's just a rubber washer that sits wedged between the strap pin and strap itself. No mechanisms, rescrewing, no plastic, and they're a few bucks. I will never use strap locks again.

Those are basically beer bottle gaskets. You can get them on Amazon or at places that sell homebrewing supplies for about 10 cents each. You can also get them the fun way by buying Grolsch beer.