Strandberg Boden O6 tuning problems...

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Valco, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Valco

Valco SS.org Regular

I just received my Boden O6 and after playing for 20 minutes I noticed the high E was going out of tune...So I re-tuned it and it continued to do the same.

On the 3rd attempt of re-tuning I heard a ping, and I now the ball end of the string is sticking out of the back of the tuner.

I have loosened the locking nut and pulled the string through further, which has in turn pulled the ball end of the string back into the tuner. However, I can not get it to pitch (E) it just keeps slipping out of tune.

This is my first Boden, I could be doing something wrong, but I don't think I am.

Standard tuning. All other strings are fine.

2. domsch1988

domsch1988 SS.org Regular

Sounds like the Locking nut doesn't get a proper grip on the string. when tuning the string slips through. I have the same on my JP50's locking tuners. Make sure that the e-string is centered and the locking screw is pressing down on the string properly.

3. Valco

Valco SS.org Regular

This is my first guitar with some sort of locking nut, so I hope that this is the issue.

The ball end actually snapped off, so I have replaced the high E and its holding it's tune now and no slipping. The ball end still sticks slightly past the tuner, not sure if that's how it's meant to be.

4. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Sounds to me like the string was put on properly and was catching somewhere, slipping out of tune when it worked itself loose. Maybe a poorly cut nut, for example.

As for the ball end sticking out of the tuner, take a look at this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When you put in a new string, make sure the piece highlighted in red here is as far in as you possible and you can still get the knob on. The mechanism works by screwing that out and tensioning the string, so that gives you the most space to use the tuner. Make sure to pull the string tight through the string lock, to also maximise this.

If the tuners aren't set up properly, the tuner can be pushed in, loosening the string Though I doubt this is the problem, it's something worth looking out for, and shouldn't occur if you do it properly.

5. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

I had the same thing happen on the high E on my OS8. I think the string physically unwound some at the ball end. I just changed it. I would swap the string. Seems like strandberg could be having an issue with their strings.