Steve Vai details his current favorite 10 guitars

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but could he be hinting at a 7-string acoustic signature model near the end?

Tone Vise

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wish Ibanez would release a JEM or PIA one day with the sustainer that Steve has, so I don't have to buy and ruin one myself.

Also beat little wrenches for the nut on the green PIA.
Let Ibanez know you'd like to see the Keyless Nut Locks on the production guitars.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
God damn it! He's got an Artwood 7 string and I've been secretly saving for one for a long time now. Guess the price on those is out the question now that this video exists. Thanks asshole!

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
God damn it! He's got an Artwood 7 string and I've been secretly saving for one for a long time now. Guess the price on those is out the question now that this video exists. Thanks asshole!
His is different than those out there. His is 3+4, and those out there are 4+3 in the tuners.

Now be careful because these guitars weren't thought from the ground up for the 7 string tension, their top's bracings are (as far as I understand) the same as the 6 string counterparts. The result is that the top will belly up if one puts too much tension on the strings, which is fairly easy when going with .010s and regular tuning. I had to professionally install a "Bridge Doctor" in mine (look for it at www.stewmac.com), because its top's belly was rendering the guitar unplayable raising the action way high. I'm sure that doesn't happen on his guitar... I've also and recently swapped out its original Groover tuners for some Gotoh locking ones, SOOOO much better... and a Graphtech nut + saddle pack as well. The guitar plays like a dream now, almost like an electric... and still sounds good.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
His is different than those out there. His is 3+4, and those out there are 4+3 in the tuners.

Now be careful because these guitars weren't thought from the ground up for the 7 string tension, their top's bracings are (as far as I understand) the same as the 6 string counterparts. The result is that the top will belly up if one puts too much tension on the strings, which is fairly easy when going with .010s and regular tuning. I had to professionally install a "Bridge Doctor" in mine (look for it at www.stewmac.com), because its top's belly was rendering the guitar unplayable raising the action way high. I'm sure that doesn't happen on his guitar... I've also and recently swapped out its original Groover tuners for some Gotoh locking ones, SOOOO much better... and a Graphtech nut + saddle pack as well. The guitar plays like a dream now, almost like an electric... and still sounds good.
Thanks for the info on that. I've owned one in the past and it's one of those I'd like to revisit someday. I really liked the stock electronics too. It even sounded great direct.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
Thanks for the info on that. I've owned one in the past and it's one of those I'd like to revisit someday. I really liked the stock electronics too. It even sounded great direct.
Curiously I never ever use its electronics and had it plugged in about twice in its 13+ years lifetime with me. I use it mainly to play when the electrics aren't available due to whatever reason.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Curiously I never ever use its electronics and had it plugged in about twice in its 13+ years lifetime with me. I use it mainly to play when the electrics aren't available due to whatever reason.
It'd be nice if Yamaha had a 7 string silent guitar. I'd probably take it everywhere, plus they have upper fret access. I want a 24 fret version of one. That'd probably be a great productive tool to have.