Steve Vai details his current favorite 10 guitars

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
I wish Ibanez would release a JEM or PIA one day with the sustainer that Steve has, so I don't have to buy and ruin one myself.

Also beat little wrenches for the nut on the green PIA.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I really hope that the custom Artwood 7 strings would lead to a production model. Sure it'll be limited to a year, in typical Ibanez style, but I'll certainly buy one.

_MonSTeR_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really hope that the custom Artwood 7 strings would lead to a production model. Sure it'll be limited to a year, in typical Ibanez style, but I'll certainly buy one.

No, no, no... you’re doing it wrong!!!

You’re only supposed to say you’ll buy one. Then not buy one. Then a year later when they stop making them because no-one bought one, that’s when you say you’d totally have bought one if you knew they’d be discontinued!!!

That’s how Ibanez is supposed to work ;)

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
Cool run-through, I would love to spend an afternoon wandering through Steve’s collection.
Every time I see a green PIA, it gets me wanting an old JuniperGreen RG570.

ArtDecade

Cretin Hop
Reaction score
I wish Ibanez would release a JEM or PIA one day with the sustainer that Steve has, so I don't have to buy and ruin one myself.

Also beat little wrenches for the nut on the green PIA.

One of the Satch models has a sustainer, yeah? Maybe it is something that Steve will request next time they freshen the lineup a little bit.

Matt08642

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One of the Satch models has a sustainer, yeah? Maybe it is something that Steve will request next time they freshen the lineup a little bit.

Steve has said in the past the reason his signature guitars don't have Sustainers installed from the factory is due to their inconsistency. He's said something like only 1 in 3 he gets works in the first place.

ArtDecade

Cretin Hop
Reaction score
Steve has said in the past the reason his signature guitars don't have Sustainers installed from the factory is due to their inconsistency. He's said something like only 1 in 3 he gets works in the first place.

I dunno. That kinda sounds bogus. Ibanez wouldn't put them in three different Satch models - two of which are north of 3 grand US. I'd have to imagine they are pretty consistent otherwise they would only do mods at the custom shop for their top tier players.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Joe uses a Sustainiac, I wonder if Steve has tried it instead of the Fernandes.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...

That one really looks like my Ibanez AJ307CE NT from late 90's, but with a mirrored headstock... Same bridge, headstock design, jumbo sized body, pickguard... Even the neck is bound...

7sevens_NET_02.jpg

Now I sure hope they'll fix the top's inner bracings (?) because those weren't design for 7 strings. That little white dot at the bridge by the D string is a cover for the "The Bridge Doctor" thing to manage the top's belly from the strings' pull, which is a lot for an acoutic.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Joe uses a Sustainiac, I wonder if Steve has tried it instead of the Fernandes.

Oh - I didn't know that the Sustainiac was different. I figured it was the Fernandes pickup. My bad.

His PIAs and I THINK the later JEMS he got rock Sustainiacs now. Looks like he's either preferring the Sustainiac, or Fernandes quit making the sustainer.

EpS_e-EWEAE-WQd

He actually shows off the green PIA in the video.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
I think Fernandes quit about anything, not only sustainers... It's been some time now since I hear news from them at the NAMM shows, for example...

The difference between Sustainiac and Fernandes is the size of the preamp/sustainer main board, and the driver (pickup) design, because they'll work about the same, they'll do the same thing with the same options: ON/OFF, 3 different sustain modes (fundamental, mix and harmonic). I'm not sure if the Fernandes has different modes for the driver sound when working as an ACTIVE pickup as Sustainiac has (it allows 4 different tones, with 2 different gain levels and 2 different EQs).