Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Ralyks, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

So THAT went different from what I expected. Two things:

1. That fucking laugh at the end. Oh. Shit.

2. THE COOL SIDE OF THE PILLOW IS BACK! BILLY DEE, BABY!!!

2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

This is the dumbest thing in the history of dumb things. Disney are killing cinema.

FILTHnFEAR and BenjaminW like this.
  3. Ralyks

Considering at this point they basically OWN cinema...

Hollowway, Joan Maal and BenjaminW like this.
  4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

For every person who preemptively decides the movie is garbage for inane reasons and without watching it, I'm going to enjoy it that much more.

:)

5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

This one is actually eluding me, because there's so very little actually shown in, it's just like, The Adventures of Rey in Various Places?

I'll need a full trailer for this one vs. just whatever that was

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Pretty much this, as well. :)

Not a ton to go on, but the name seems an odd choice, for the movie AFTER Luke (more or less) dies. Sort of implies they're going to do an about face and confirm Rey is a Skywalker, after all. I don't love that decision - I like where the Last Jedi was going - but whatever, I'll be watching this when it comes out, for sure.

If nothing else, it almost HAS to be better than Episode I. :lol:

Hollowway and odibrom like this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Drink Sunny D, pet kitties.

meh it couldn't possibly be worse than Last Jedi. That was a fucking trainwreck of a film.

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You're crazy, Last Jedi was awesome. :lol: It just wasn't the movie YOU expected it to be.

9. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Are you basically my spirit animal at this point?

I'm not really a defender of The Last Jedi, but I definitely don't loathe it either. The plot, which is definitely an important element of any film, was quite weak, and the character actions were outright bizarre at times, but not without redeeming qualities. I basically think of it similarly to Skyfall: dumb plot and too full of self-referential fan service scenes, but also an absolutely gorgeous piece of kinetic visual art that I'm perfectly capable of enjoying on that level. It also bears mentioning that I actually loved what they did with Luke, regardless of what Mark Hamill says, because it touches on something that Star Wars rarely examines: that the fall of a Jedi hero does not necessarily lead them to the dark side, but sometimes simply leads to a desire to leave it all behind, like a normal human being (I'm most definitely not an authority on any Star Wars EU material, but the only character I recall that underwent a similar journey was Jolee Bindo from KotOR). That, I believe is the overarching theme of The Last Jedi, that Jedi and Sith, hero and villain alike, are all human, and like any human, even the greatest among us can fail, and even the lowest among us can rise to the occasion.

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'll take it a step further, and I WILL defend it. Though, first, I hadn't really thought about your point about Luke here, and I like it.

The Force Awakens was a fun movie and I enjoyed watching it quite a lot, and IMO it did a decent enough job setting up The Last Jedi and, evidently, The Rise of Skywalker. But, from a plot standpoint... It was basically Episode VI, which itself was Episode IV. How many times do we as Star Wars viewers need to blow up a bigger Death Star? I left that one having enjoyed it thoroughly, but prepared for VII and IX to essentially break no new ground for the franchise, and I remember a lot of reviewers raising that criticism too, that it pretty much rehashed a lot of the earlier movies. New Vader, new Luke, new Emperor, new droids, new Death Star, wash, rinse, repeat.

The Last Jedi pulled a 180. It strongly suggested Rey wasn't a Skywalker, it humanized Kylo Ren and set up a potential Kylo/Rey storyline, it killed off Snope, and rather than taking out another bigger, badder Death Star it had the resistance beaten back, defeated, and fleeing, but choosing to live to fight another day rather than die in a blaze of glory. The whole story ark to the gambling planet was important to the storyline precisely because it ended in failure - for me the major theme of the movie was failure is ok as long as it's a step to something else, whereas dying a hero is always a dead end. If Rey is in fact not a Skywalker, that opens up the storyline significantly to something bigger than a family drama, and the slave kids at the end using the force kind of underlines that point and (IMO) sets the series up for an even bigger final.

Idunno. A lot of the criticisms I've seen leveled at the Last Jedi seem to be based on the fact that it wasn't the same story as the one before it, which seems a little unfair when the Force Awakens took some flack for being too derivative of the original trilogy. I think it's just one of these things where no matter what the next installment did, someone was going to be upset, compounded by a whole bunch of dudes getting all butt-hurt that there were an awful lot of strong, empowered women doing things other than being showily heroic, while a lot of the "heroic" characters ended up fucking things up and needing to be bailed out by chicks.

I still think Rogue One is my favorite of the new movies, but IMO Last Jedi was better than Force Awakens, and Force Awakens may have been predictable but at least the bar was so low after the prequels that I was fuckin' relieved that it wasn't Jar Jar Binks all over again. :lol:

My biggest issue with the final trilogy so far is it's not entirely clear that there was a cohesive storyline given to the two different directors, and they may be working at cross purposes. TBD though.

mguilherme87, Bloody_Inferno and SD83 like this.
  11. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Everyone knows there was only 3 good Star Wars movies. The Han Solo movie, The Last Jedi, and the one with Jar Jar Binks.

12. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:rofl:

13. The906

The906 Contributor

I wouldnt' call it a movie. :lol:

c7spheres likes this.
  14. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I like that Skyfall comparison, even though I kind of hate that movie. It sure did LOOK great!

C'mon dudeman, TLJ haters like the Solo movie, that's an impossible joke opinion! :p

I'm uh...kind of with Ted on this. HOWEVER - a ton of the fanboy screeching about this trailer I'm seeing is from people who are furious that it's "walking back" TLJ, so it's kind of the OTHER half of the mewling manbabies that make up SW fandom. They killed Snoke so JJ had to put Palpatine in instead, Rey's not actually nobody, Kylo rebuilds his mask, Luke's a main character, etc.

It's funny that they're drawing all this from a puny little trailer and very possibly none of that stuff is true. The only thing on their rage list that we know for sure is that Palpatine makes an appearance in some way, shape or form. I hope he doesn't have robot legs.

If they undo all of TLJ's machinations, I agree that it will be very stupid. However, I'm apparently the only person left on the planet that likes both TFA and TLJ, since if you are cool you trash TFA for being "exactly the same" as ANH, and you can trash TLJ for raping your childhood OR for being "exactly the same" as ESB.

(I like TFA quite a bit more than TLJ, but the latter has more visual style for sure)

mguilherme87 likes this.
  15. The906

The906 Contributor

I agree, every SW movie these days has its own thing. Everything post-Lucas anyway. I'll go see it at the bijou and judge then.

16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Since Ryan Johnson completely disregarded JJ Abrams plot lines from the first film I wonder if he's just done the same thing to finish the character arcs he originally laid out.

StevenC and Noisy Humbucker like this.
  17. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

If Palpatine is gonna show up, then I'm gonna be so happy. Just because I like the story behind him.

Chiba666 likes this.
  18. Ralyks

If Palpatine DOESNT appear after that trailer, I'm going to be quite upset.

Last Jedi was a bit disjointed, but I enjoyed. Except one major flaw: you can't have a (mainline) Star Wars film without a real lightsaber duel. It just feels so wrong.

19. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Last Jedi was awful.

I don’t care how bad this movie might be. If they retcon all of that garbage film I’ll love this forever.

20. c7spheres

c7spheres SS.org Regular

Nothing will ever be as good as the original 3 movies, kinda like Metallica will never be the same as they once were. I'm waiting to see this and how they all fit together, but I haven't hated any of the movies so far except The Last Jedi, but there is still hope if it all makes sense in sequence after this film. People can't keep expecting greater things. The greatest stuff for Star Wars already exists and "they" are doing a really good job considering that they didn't invent any of this. It's like someone trying to be the next Jimi Hendrix, it just ain't gonna happen, even though it could still be pretty great. I hope this movie really ties it all together and closes out this series with dignity so they can all be watched enjoyably in sequence. I really hated clone wars when it came out and then after several years and revisiting it and seeing how the look of the film and way it was done really does make sense in the overall scheme of the entire series, I actually like it now, except Jarjar. I hope The Last Jedi grows on me this way.