Squier Paranormal Baritone - Cheap 27" Ripe for Modding?

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
So I just came across this MIC Squier that seems like it could be a solid platform to mod a baritone, AND it comes in Surf Green!

I see one for $579 CAD which seems like a steal, but it's also a Made in China Squier which I have absolutely no experience with, so QC might be a crapshoot.

Anyone have any experience with these?

0000_991430a1-36fb-40f4-bca8-351fd8f1771d_1024x1024.jpg

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I definitely want one. I'd modify a pickguard and cover up the neck pup, throw a Dimarzio Super Distortion P90 mount in the bridge, throw some 85-16's on there and call it a day.

NickS

Rocket Surgeon
Reaction score
I have/had many MIC Squier's and would say they are generally a great deal. They're certainly not perfect and will need some work to get all the way there, but it's a worthy starting point. I've quickly checked out that particular model at the local GC and still might pick it up if it sits much longer (and I reaaaalllllyyyyy don't need another guitar).

Demiurge

Intrepid Jackass
Reaction score
I got one when black was the only option (would've loved that green) and aside from one low nut slot, it's a really nice guitar.

PK317

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have Bass VI from Squier, but it's crafted in Indonesia. Decent instrument for the price, had to polish the frets and to make some adjustments to the nut.

I'm curious, is there a general quality differences between Chinese/Vietnamese/Indonesian instruments? Based on your experience?

mechanyx

Some Kind of Munster
Reaction score
I have a Chinese Squier that's great. I had to file the fret ends that were sharp and I replaced the tuners with a random set I had lying around but it sounds and plays great. The thing with factory guitars is there's variance and the lower on the price range, the less QC so the wider the variance. There are probably great examples and terrible examples so your best bet is try before you buy.

rythmic_pulses

Bari/Bass VI Nerd
Reaction score
To be fair I have an Affinity Tele, I've since converted it to 27" with the Mexican Fender subsonic neck, the original neck was Chinese and I had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever, frets were level, no sharp edges and the guitar itself was very easy to set up with it being a top loader.

I probably got a very good example though.

Ideally you need to find one in a store and try it, then you'd know for sure it's what you want.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score

mechanyx

Some Kind of Munster
Reaction score
Just wish they'd put out a freaking humbucker model....like come on, no one at FMIC realized that the bari crowd is pretty metal focused?

I don't like single coil sized bridge humbuckers in strat style guitars but think both the Dimarzio Super Distortion T and Tone Zone T sound really good. The Tone Zone T doesn't sound anything like a normal Tone Zone (which I do not like) as a normal Tone Zone has an alnico 5 magnet and the telecaster model has a ceramic magnet.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just wish they'd put out a freaking humbucker model....like come on, no one at FMIC realized that the bari crowd is pretty metal focused?

I am surprised by this too. The Blacktop Baritone Teles came with a HB in the bridge and are worth 2x their new price now, seems like the obvious choice would've been to just make a Squier version of an already insanely popular model.

I wish I hadn't sold my Blacktop tele. Dude traded it for a Reverend baritone after the price jump. I really lost out on that one.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Glad I learned how to use a router at least. :lol:

My issue is that a lot of aftermarket HB tele bridges tend to have the humbucker a fucking mile away from the bridge. The only one I noticed that isn't like that is the Squier J5 bridge. In fact the J5 Tele needs it's own kind of pickguard because not only does it have a humbucker, but it has less shaved off at the pickguard because the bridge plate is smaller.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
I have two of those - A black one and the sea foam green.
I swapped out the string trees and got some shorter saddle height adjustment screws.
Running them with Stringjoy baritone 12s

One is tuned to drop A flat. The other is baritone dadgad (Monuments/john Browne tuning)

CONS
I hate the glossy neck finish. My hand doesn't stick to it but i just prefer a satin finish. A green scotchbrite fixes that.
The bridge is cheap as hell but works. I want to upgrade these to the Gotoh one.
The 3 way switch on these are complete dogshit and pop out of position easily.
P90 noise,,,

PROS
really nice fret work - no jagged fret ends and all were leveled nicely
Pickups are really great sounding
Plays fantastically
Very resonant

I will probably pick up one of the new ones with the regular tele pickups. I really like the 27" scale length.

I am still kind of surprised they have not put out another 30" Jazzmaster since they are still in demand and used ones are going for stupid money.

NickS

Rocket Surgeon
Reaction score
I have two of those - A black one and the sea foam green.
I swapped out the string trees and got some shorter saddle height adjustment screws.
Running them with Stringjoy baritone 12s

One is tuned to drop A flat. The other is baritone dadgad (Monuments/john Browne tuning)

CONS
I hate the glossy neck finish. My hand doesn't stick to it but i just prefer a satin finish. A green scotchbrite fixes that.
The bridge is cheap as hell but works. I want to upgrade these to the Gotoh one.
The 3 way switch on these are complete dogshit and pop out of position easily.
P90 noise,,,

PROS
really nice fret work - no jagged fret ends and all were leveled nicely
Pickups are really great sounding
Plays fantastically
Very resonant

I will probably pick up one of the new ones with the regular tele pickups. I really like the 27" scale length.

I am still kind of surprised they have not put out another 30" Jazzmaster since they are still in demand and used ones are going for stupid money.
Do the pups get that good snarl/aggression like P90's should? Pretty much set on getting one of these, just hoping I don't have to replace/mod too much of it.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Do the pups get that good snarl/aggression like P90's should? Pretty much set on getting one of these, just hoping I don't have to replace/mod too much of it.
+1.

Maybe I'll get one toward the end of the year but depending on how it performs, I'd want to swap out the pickguard for a traditional black Tele one, add a control plate, maybe swap the bridge for the ashtray style depending on if I wanna change out the pups, and upgrade tuners and nut. I've also never had a guitar with P90s so this would be fun.