Soldano SLO 100 : adding FX loop kit (iron sounds, mojotone, Zero Loss FX)?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Jerome, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Jerome

Jerome SS.org Regular

Hi Folks !

Have you ever heard about anyone adding an FX loop kit into Soldano SLO 100 head with success ?

Thanks

2. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

The circuit itself isn't extremely complicated and any good tech can do that, especially given how widely available schematics are, assuming you mean a series loop.

Here's the thing, though - while absolutely feasible, you need to decide what you want to have done, as the SLO's preamp puts out some pretty intense signal, meaning that you may experience undesired input clipping in some units (and in the digital kind it's not what one would want), so you may want to have a look into having control over the send level, whether you want a tube buffer to preserve the signal, etc.. I had a Soldano with a bare bones serial loop in it, and it was a simple affair with an attenuated send and a buffer and it worked fine, but it's down to what you want in the end, of course!

As for taking a pre-made kit and installing it yourself, you have a monumentally well built amplifier, so unless you have excellent skills, I'd take it to a tech, to be honest. Mike is leaving the business, so hacking an SLO would be a shame.

Ribboz, oneblackened and Jerome like this.
  3. Jerome

Jerome SS.org Regular

Hi Fred - very valuable advice. Thanks a lot !
    1. You say series loop schematics are widely available / are you talking about the SLO original schematics of the 12AX7-based hot loop, or, are you talking about other "generic" series loop schematics ?
    2. Just having a spring reverb between preamp and power section would be just perfect for me ... Is it possible to do that in a very simple way with just a little extra wiring ? I have no clue - maybe this is THE answer to my problem and maybe I dont need a multi-purpose series loop for this...

Again, thanks for your expertise and comments. Very helpful and interesting to read!

4. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

1 - Hot loop, complete with how it fits in the wiring. I'm sure you stumbled upon them by now.

2 - Honestly, mods for adding a reverb and a loop will take place in similar fashion, so I'd go with a loop if I were you. Reverb tanks take up real estate inside the amp, add to the weight, and are one trick ponies as that's all they really do (and I bloody hate having to set that in the back of the amp, but that's a pet peeve of mine :lol: ).

Jerome likes this.
  5. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Because of the value and the build quality of the SLO I would not mod it. What you can do is get yourself a rack reverb unit (something that can take the higher line level signal) and pop that in the loop.

There IS a very simple mod (changing one resistor and adding a capacitor) that can be done to the loop to change it to be "pedal level" such that you could use any reverb pedal with it. But again i wouldn't have it done except by the very best of techs, simply because of the humongous value and significance of that amp. The mod is labeled on the SLO schematic floating around the internet.

I warn against it even though it is a very simple and reversible mod simply because the inside of a SLO is like a work of art. Just impeccable build quality that would be a shame to change at all.

Ribboz, Jerome, Shask and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jerome

Jerome SS.org Regular

Thanks Guys !! Sounds like I ll go to a good tech to get the "hot" standard loop installed, so that I can run the Peavey Valverb unit there.

7. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yeah, I kind of agree with above. The SLO has a loop, but it is a very hot level, and in a weird place in the circuit (before the EQ, and not after like normal). Since you only want reverb, I would just buy a good rack reverb that can handle line level signals (Lexicon, TC Electronic, Eventide, etc....) and just use that before I would mod the loop. With Mike retiring, I would not want to mod an amp like that when there is an easy solution. There are also some pedals that can handle the line level loop, like the TC Electronic Hall of Fame I believe.

I have researched this quite a bit because I have a Jet City JCA100HDM, which is a very similar design, and have been thinking about moving the loop to the normal place and making it more useful with pedals, or adding one of those Zero Loss type boards, and keeping the original loop so the amp would have 2 loops. They say modding the original loop will change the tone and feel of the amp.

Jerome likes this.
  8. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

At this point I would not mod an SLO: just use the line out to something like the Tech 21 power engine and run your FX through that in a wet/dry set up. That's what I did when I had an SLO and it works great. You don't need a fancy setup for the FX cabinet.

That said, the Metro loop should work fine. I would NOT try to "move" the stock loop. Just leave it there, it's part of the tone circuit, too. Just install the Metro loop after the tone stack in the typical spot and don't use the stock loop any more. The Metro loop's level can be adjusted for pedals or rack gear.

9. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

My Bogner Twin Jet has a super hot line level effects loop, though I'm sure it's different overall from the loop design on the SLO. I've been able to use it with rack gear and certain pedals without clipping ever since I added an Ebtech LLS-2 into my setup with that amp. It takes the line level signal from the loop, converts it to instrument level for your pedals/effect units, then back up to line level for the return of the loop. I actually heard about the LLS-2 from people online who used it with their Jet City amps, so it seems promising for the SLO :yesway:

10. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Leave it alone, it's going to be worth a sh*t ton of money if stock.

Buy another amp if you want to mod, have a clone built if you want a SLO w/loop etc...

Ribboz and MASS DEFECT like this.
  11. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

^the answer you need.

Ribboz likes this.
  12. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

Ribboz likes this.