Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

xeno99

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is there any solid info on the release of the X/ML-shape Solars or is it just leaks and rumors so far?

Powernet

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi guys!
Im planning to buy one/two Solar Explorers, but there few models where we can take swamp Ash, mahagony and alder at Jensen Signature, which I like how it looks, but not Fishmans.
I think I will buy E2 Lime and second I want take Red color guitar like another E2 with Sungkai. good choice?

All the time I played almost only at mahagony guitars and Im playing Amon Amarth songs, where you know we need fat, massive sound. and they use mahagony guitars of course.

But can i get swamp Ash or Alder guitar and be not disappointed of their sound? because every wood has own sound even we can change pickups. can i get almost the same fat sound at ash/alder?

Yesterday I heard a lot of videos where Ash guitars has sonorous and high - pitched which I dont like.
Please help me with your high experience and links to samples/videos.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Hi guys!
Im planning to buy one/two Solar Explorers, but there few models where we can take swamp Ash, mahagony and alder at Jensen Signature, which I like how it looks, but not Fishmans.
I think I will buy E2 Lime and second I want take Red color guitar like another E2 with Sungkai. good choice?

All the time I played almost only at mahagony guitars and Im playing Amon Amarth songs, where you know we need fat, massive sound. and they use mahagony guitars of course.

But can i get swamp Ash or Alder guitar and be not disappointed of their sound? because every wood has own sound even we can change pickups. can i get almost the same fat sound at ash/alder?

Yesterday I heard a lot of videos where Ash guitars has sonorous and high - pitched which I dont like.
Please help me with your high experience and links to samples/videos.
My opinion is you’ll be just fine.

nickgray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
because every wood has own sound

No, it contributes nothing or next to nothing.

Fwiw, I have a Solar and I found the pickups to be fairly middy and dark, the output is kinda medium. It's a swamp ash too. Meanwhile, my all mahogany LTD with a Custom 5 is way, way brighter.

where you know we need fat, massive sound

In a metal mix guitars are pretty thin, the fat and massive sound comes from the bass primarily, and the kick and snare as well.

Powernet

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. So no i have looking on two Solars:

E1.6 CANIBALISMO (Swamp Ash)​

E1.6 JENSEN MKII (Alder)​

Both looks nice, have Evertune, but problem is that no reviews/demos of Jensen MKII and im afraid it will have less body sound in compare to mah/ash.
And at any Solar samples where used Alder guiat i feel/hear this a less power of sound....

Last edited:

nickgray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
but problem is that no reviews/demos of Jensen MKII

I know this is futile, but I'll still try.

Reviews/demos give you ZERO information on how the guitar sounds. Even if you got DIs from that guitar it will still give you next to no information because it's not you playing - not your technique, not your setup, not your pick. Do you understand how many variables there are between the reviewer playing the guitar and you the listener? It's like retelling something a friend of a cousin of your uncle's coworker said 10 years ago.

Powernet

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
oh okay)
btw, how to get response from Solar company? i send few tickets with with pre-purchase questions and no response for few days but it was weekends. today only monday passed.
do you have another contact where i can write them? maybe their email?

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Reviews/demos give you ZERO information on how the guitar sounds. Even if you got DIs from that guitar it will still give you next to no information because it's not you playing - not your technique, not your setup, not your pick. Do you understand how many variables there are between the reviewer playing the guitar and you the listener? It's like retelling something a friend of a cousin of your uncle's coworker said 10 years ago.

This.

I honestly think that 9x out of 10 when people come to conclusions about tone it’s got more to do with some kind of mental/feel thing than anything else. They might have a guitar that’s particularly loud unplugged which lends itself to them believing it’s got more balls when plugged in, or they pick up a heavy ass guitar and end up believing the guitar sounds ‘heavier’ as a result.

My E-type is a heavy bastard, easily the heaviest guitar I own. Does that translate to it being a “heavy sounding guitar”? No. But it certainly lends itself to me playing heavy ass shit on it because it feels like that’s what needs to be played on it.

nickgray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
it’s got more to do with some kind of mental/feel thing than anything else

It's also the same stuff being repeated over and over again. Like mahogany is dark sounding. You see it repeated a couple of times, and sure enough - you plug a guitar with a mahogany body in, you expect it to sound dark, and it does. Purely because you expected it.

But it certainly lends itself to me playing heavy ass shit on it because it feels like that’s what needs to be played on it.

Oh yeah, I've been gasing for a black LP, which I absolutely do not need, but I just can't get it out of my head how cool it would be to play some evil sounding shit in B standard on a black LP. It's ridiculous, but that's just typical GAS.

hey might have a guitar that’s particularly loud unplugged

You know, after a few years of playing through closed back headphones, I'm convinced this is the way to go. Having the unplugged sound bleed in with the amped tone is just bad, especially with high gain, because you absolutely will be reacting to the unplugged sound, and distorted tones just do not behave in the same manner. Even cleans, unless you dial them absolutely pristine with no compression at all, won't respond the same - because of compression.

Powernet

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
guys, can i install simply EMG 57 into Fishman modern wire system at 3 pin? is then emg will works fully as needed? or will lose some sound? thanks

Last edited:

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can't say for definite but I doubt they'd be compatible. That's normally rule no.1 on proprietary wiring connectors.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
296019218_3279970155605106_313144801194433226_n.jpg

296488212_3279970162271772_7940843606004190023_n.jpg

the perfect shade of blue

Quiet Coil

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
guys, can i install simply EMG 57 into Fishman modern wire system at 3 pin? is then emg will works fully as needed? or will lose some sound? thanks
Works the other way around, should be just fine (obviously no push-pull functionality).