So if Legator is crap...

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Xfing, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Xfing

Xfing Member

Well I don't intend to be messing around with tunings too much on that guitar - that's the point of having a guitar with such an extended scale, now isn't it? I'll be keeping to standard - C#F#BEADGBE.

Absolutely true, but consider that multiscales and fanned frets are a relatively recent invention only gaining ground recently. And it was born precisely of the complaints from extended range guitar users - that their lowest string is too floppy, or that their highest is too tense, affecting both sound and playability.

Oh well, you've allayed my concerns I guess. 30" then it is. As far as fanned fret multiscales go, I'll probably get a 6 string bass of that variety. The string gauge variance on basses is bigger, so they're the ones that really need multiple scales the most.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  2. Djentlover666

Djentlover666 Good case of the djents

Can always go lower, idk why but, not plying in any form of drop feels weird/dirty/wrong. When I get a 6 string i can guarantee I'm not tuning any higher that drop c.

3. Xfing

Xfing Member

My Septor 930 black flame arrived today! Wonderful instrument. Could use a fatter bottom string definitely, 0.90 is a bit floppy even with 30 inches. Still playable though. The entire instrument is - I was a bit afraid how I'd handle such a thick neck, but I can actually do barres across the entire neck on lower frets, so guess it's not all that bad. Broke the high E string by stupidly trying to shorten the scale for it while the string was fully tuned, luckily I had a replacement on hand.

So, if I wanted to buy a .100 are these virtually bass strings, or are they actually a different kind of string?

trem licking likes this.
  4. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

I'm pretty sure the strings are constructed differently (bass/guitar). usually the ball end is bigger for one and the core is thicker too i believe, on bass strings. I get the huge strings for mine from Labella.

5. Djentlover666

.090 is enough. I go down to A most of the time. At first I thought the same but then I got a .105 from ernieball and it felt the same so I just went back to .090. I'm trying labella strings .092 only bc they taper at both ends so I won't have to unravel the end fir the tuner. I'm too scared to drill the tuner. And the strings on all of rondo's agile guitars are from labella.

6. Djentlover666

And bass strings are different than guitar strings. Bass strings are double wound as far as I know.

7. Xfing

Xfing Member

Well, I did eliminate the fret buzz by making the action on the 9th string a bit higher, but it's still too floppy for tremolo picking (though pretty good for anything else). I tried looking for .100s on Labella's website, but I'm piss poor at that. Could someone link me to that product please?

8. Djentlover666

http://www.labella.com/strings/category/wound-strings-above-100-build-a-custom-electric-guitar-set/ click on the scroll bar that says nickle wound, it goes from 100 to 125 I think I saw. And you'll have to put you guitar model in where it asks below the price.