Small / Lesser Known Brands For High Gain Amps

BrutalRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys,

just curious what smaller or lesser known builders you guys know and would recommend for high gain. Preferably within Europe.

Brands that I play and absolutely love would be Kaos amps from Hungary and NRG from Belgium, both which i will take to the grave.

Other brands that got me curious would be Monomyth or maybe even Armored, though their sabot got pretty negative reviews as well. Still curious though what the next revision will be like.
But both those brands are from the US and Import is no fun these days, so curious if you guys can recommend some amps build in the EU.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not Europe, but Blades Custom Amps makes some killer stuff.

Billy Blades is also a complete freaking nut job, stay far far far away... he is absolutely notorious in the amp building community.

Mezzabarba is pretty much a SLO circuit with some extra bells and whistles and different transformers so that's a potential in Europe if that is what you're looking for.

Monomyth has a solid reputation, as does Hermansson on the smaller builder front. Hermansson is also in Europe.

BrutalRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Been well aware of Mezzabarba and actually, been following an Mzero Overdrive on the used market here for some weeks, but just a few days ago it was sold. Too bad i could absolutely not afford it at this point, they are kinda rare here on the used market. New, i am not willing to spend that much on an amp.

Never heard of Blades.

Hermanson, yeah heard of him. but i think he is mainly modding amps? But i think i also heard/red he is working on his own design?

Another brand that comes to my mind would be MI audio. Been in touch with him at some point but the communication left me with a bad feeling so i looked elsewhere at that time.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you want comedy go do some searching and find his posts on the Marshall forum and a few others... I believe a lot of the stuff is still out there

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've seen several mentions of red7 amps lately. They seem stylish at least. What's their deal?

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
Fortin, Diamond, Fryette come to mind. Not sure if they have a presence in EU though

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Billy Blades is also a complete freaking nut job, stay far far far away... he is absolutely notorious in the amp building community.

Mezzabarba is pretty much a SLO circuit with some extra bells and whistles and different transformers so that's a potential in Europe if that is what you're looking for.

Monomyth has a solid reputation, as does Hermansson on the smaller builder front. Hermansson is also in Europe.
We didn't qualify nutjobness, just that the amps are good. :lol:

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They're Cameron knockoffs with questionable build quality... so they tend to sound good anyways :lol:
Ah, I had no idea, I just have a couple of friends that have them, and they do sound good. :shrug:

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, from a preamp-only perspective I was pretty impressed with the Kartakou Colossus, even if it is basically just a 5150 clone.

BrutalRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've seen several mentions of red7 amps lately. They seem stylish at least. What's their deal?
Yeah been aware of them but the fact the place the poweramp controls on the backside is a dealbreaker for me.

If you're in Europe definitely check out Redstuff
Stumbled upon them recently, he's here in Germany like i am.
But after a first look, this stuff does not really speak to me. And hardly any info on it.

BabUShka

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hughes & Kettner have gone more commercial lately. But still something to consider. I would love to get a hand on a Triamp sometime in the future. Ive seen some good deals on them in Norway over the years as they do not have the greatest resale value.

Werecow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hiwatt, but only for the Super-Hi 50. Though the UK is not in the EU anymore, so no idea if it's a shitshow getting stuff from here.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Yeah been aware of them but the fact the place the poweramp controls on the backside is a dealbreaker for me.

Stumbled upon them recently, he's here in Germany like i am.
But after a first look, this stuff does not really speak to me. And hardly any info on it.
Stefan will build pretty much anything you want. See if you can organise a visit to the shop to try them.

I've got a 1987 which is excellent, but the only amp I've tried is the Auerswald 1 watt grenade amp.

sonofabias

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys,

just curious what smaller or lesser known builders you guys know and would recommend for high gain. Preferably within Europe.

Brands that I play and absolutely love would be Kaos amps from Hungary and NRG from Belgium, both which i will take to the grave.

Other brands that got me curious would be Monomyth or maybe even Armored, though their sabot got pretty negative reviews as well. Still curious though what the next revision will be like.
But both those brands are from the US and Import is no fun these days, so curious if you guys can recommend some amps build in the EU.
MI Amplification Megalith Beta V2 and Gamma