Slipknot Megathread- New Slipknot song & video/Firing of Chris Fehn

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Triple-J, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I'm in the minority of "I like everything after Iowa"...

setsuna7 likes this.
  2. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Well, I don't, so it's not *everyone.* You're going to tell me that .5 was radio friendly trash with a straight face while songs like Vermillion (pt 1 and 2), Dead Memories, Before I Forget, Duality, Vendetta, Butchers Hook, Snuff, Circle, all existed on the two albums people hold more dear than .5?

People are just nostalgic. Joey was in the band when most people started liking Slipknot, so they attribute him being gone to why they don't like it anymore.

Nothing wrong with that. Not everyone vilifies change, and that's a good thing. I didn't much like Vol 3 and AHIG, so I just didn't listen to them much. Loved Self Titled, IOWA, and .5.

3. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Kiss is still better.

4. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Changes in line-up don't even crack the top 10 things wrong with Mushroomhead.

5. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Apparently fans are calling for Anders to come back as his replacement and Corey "would LOVE that".

works0fheart likes this.
  6. Kaura

Kaura carry on wayward son

All I have to say is I found it stupid that they decided to continue after Paul's death since they always kept saying that if someone quits or dies, that's the end of Slipknot but I kinda understood they wanted to do some shows and shit as a tribute to Paul but after Joey left, it was just absurd they kept going and this is the last straw. I hate calling bands sell outs but if there ever was a case of a sellout band, then this is it. I mean, I know selling out usually refers to changing the music into more commercial sound but it feels like at least some of the members just want to keep the band rolling for all the millions they're making. And in a way that's understandable, but still breaks my heart how completely they broke their original promise about "9 or nothing".

7. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

They also said they could only do 2-3 albums before they wouldn't be able to perform the way they wanted to...guess those festival checks keep you motivated.

works0fheart likes this.
  8. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Maybe if Dream Theater have finally convinced Marco Minnemann to join them, which seemed to be who they actually wanted, that can free up Mike Mangini to fill out the 2nd percussion role in Slipknot :lol:
    But as someone suggested earlier, a 30 part soap opera series in the style of the Portnoy / new drummer thing that DT did to find a replacement would be gold!

9. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Wrong. Self-titled followed by Vol 3. The rest is trash.

lewis likes this.
  10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Im in the same boat.
    This is just too far now - and the music is so rinse and repeat its crazy.
    i.e "The Devil and I" and "all out life" are basically the same song hahaha

Razerjack likes this.
  11. gunch

gunch chungus

Iowa does slap though

Mathemagician and Sammy J like this.
  12. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I think they're all kinda getting old, and I really doubt they're as passionate as before.

Joey fired. Paul died. There was the weirdness with Stone Sour, firing Jim Root but him still being part of Slipknot. When you have 9 people there is definitely going to be drama, and they've had plenty. And it seems like Chris was disputing something about money, and accused the others of stealing from him or withholding money that he was owed.

Corey is EVERYWHERE now - all over social media, constant interviews, doing acoustic gigs. He's a "funny, chill" guy all over YouTube and Twitter... hardly feels "authentic" for a 45 year old multi-millionaire celebrity to be screaming lyrics about the stuff Slipknot writes about.

Veldar and Noisy Humbucker like this.
  13. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

From memory Stone Sour is Josh's baby and it's Josh who fired Root. Pretty much bang on with everything though.

setsuna7 likes this.
  14. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

[​IMG]

15. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

Remind that Chris played bass in Will Haven when they reformed, which is pretty rad.

You guys gotta remember regardless of how much he wrote 'harmonically' he toured the same amount as anyone else in the band and had to go through the shitty early days with the rest of them.

Dude deserves his cut if he didn't get it

16. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's cool to say stuff like "9 or nothing", especially in the early days of the band and especially when they got so much early hate for having "extra" members. Solidarity is important in a band and even more so when you have so many members.

But in the real world, that's just not how it works. Slipknot is a business, and you can't just close up shop when someone leaves. There are contracts, financial obligations, peoples' livelihoods attached to that business.

cwhitey2, Sermo Lupi, Veldar and 6 others like this.
  17. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

So #1 left the band, 2# died, 3#is suing the rest and is now fired. This mathematically means that #4 is sweating profusely at this point. Audition time is coming, lets learn some Slipknot songs.

Masoo2, Hollowway, Veldar and 5 others like this.
  18. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

What about #0? Or is it like final destination and it'll circle back after Corey?

19. 777timesgod

*Shocked* We do not speak about member #0 anymore, we imprisoned him in that dungeon for a reason pal!
    Goddamned accordion players, starting trouble all the time...

20. 777timesgod

I remember that they said also that if one is busted for drugs he is out of the band. Paul Gray died of a drug overdose and given the lifestyle of bands and their everyday problems, combined with the money they make and their fame, I am sure that he was not the only one using from time to time and that the rest knew.
    I agree that all of this talk of we will break up when one leaves is for public consumption. Similar to the "This is our last tour/cd album (maybe-maybe), please give us money" that so many bands throw to their fans.

Flappydoodle likes this.