Slipknot Megathread- New Slipknot song & video/Firing of Chris Fehn

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Triple-J, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Literally the same moment you posted this, I necrobumped another post to bring this up :lol:

BenjaminW and setsuna7 like this.
  2. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Am I the only one thinking “What did that guy even really do?” I don’t know what HALF the members do. Iowa still slaps tho.

3. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Hit a barrel sometimes. Basically the heavy metal equivalent of that guy who is always on stage with Snoop Dogg swinging a towel and accenting key words. A heavy metal hypeman.

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Ok so if that guy got 1/9 of revenue ever that should have been considered lucky. Do some of the extras like help write songs? Do they have everyone’s coffee orders memorized?

works0fheart and GunpointMetal like this.
  5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

My favorite part of that article is the one comment under it:

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I don't think there's enough out there, other than rumor and he-said/he-said to really say.

On one hand, if his position in the band was as easy as slapping some barrels live, maybe he shouldn't be surprised if his share isn't as big as a member who does primary writing for the band, but if he was promised one thing and given another, he's entirely within his rights to be made whole.

The internet seems to be of the opinion that he "should shut up and enjoy his easy gig", which I understand, but again, until we know more it's impossible to say what's really going on.

It is interesting that the two members he specifically singled out, Shawn and Corey, were supposedly his best friends within the band, with Shawn getting him the gig originally and Corey taking the opportunity to defend his, and the other "non-traditional" members, position in the band on a regular basis.

It seems he doesn't have as much of a side hustle as the rest of the guys either. For what that's worth.

setsuna7 likes this.
  7. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

:lol:

works0fheart likes this.
  8. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I don't remember if I listened to All Out Life on proper headphones/speakers when it came out, but now I did, and man, the guitar tone sucks. Also there seemed to be a massive copy-paste "seam" after the blast beat part. In general I don't like the mix, it sounds too smoothed out for Slipknot.
    Someone mentioned that their songs feel a bit quickly recorded - I agree. Especially the guitars tend to sound a little bit too "live" to me. I didn't care for .5 enough to pay attention to whether it was sloppy or not, but at least before that I feel they should've practiced more. All Out Life was ok in that regard though.

9. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

THIS. I’ve been saying since they gray chapter came out. Still sounds like digitized farts to me

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Merged.

Might as well have a Slipknot thread. :lol:

Veldar, setsuna7 and Ralyks like this.
  11. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel 55.0r6 R36ul@r

After years of accusations against Mushroomhead for ripping them off, Slipknot is slowly turning into them, with member changes on each new album. If I was Craig right now, I would be wielding my spiky mask like a mace to protect my coveted spot as DJ part deux. :lol:

12. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Lol... I think mushroomhead is down to just the drummer being the only of member. (And the one singer who left and came back years later.) Used to like them, but they got that "digitized fart" sound too, and the music became even more uninteresting.

As for Chris, I'm not too bummed. He was a redundant member and shouldn't effect sound much by being afk. You can definitely hear the easily overlookable stuff that he and clown do if you really listen. Kinda one of those "you would know if they weren't there" things. Problem being that clown is already filling that role.

Slipknot is a weird band. You wonder what half the band does because a lot of their sound is fairly subtle in the final mix. I recently watched a video of Jim playing Nomadic (one of my favorite slipknot tunes) and the vocals are absent. It becomes a little more evident where samples/scratching, and the extra percussion lies. Relatively minor roles still, but if they vanished, you'd definitely notice that what little of the slipknot sound that remains would completely disappear.

I will say that I loved .5. The music is great, imo, and the first album I thoroughly enjoyed since Iowa. That said, I hate how music is recorded these days. Less raw, less real. Probably what has been referred to as that "digitized fart" sound. The music is good, imo, but the tones and recording method are very meh to me.

13. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

I think it's funny that Slipknot's lost 3 members and yet they're still 2/3rds intact.

That being said, sucks for Chris but really if he thinks losing his gig and risking going through years of litigation is the best course of action, there must be a LOT of money on the table. Either that, or he's an idiot.

Veldar likes this.
  14. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

What's really funny, if you look past "Iconic lineups", Shawns actually the only founding member remaining.

Veldar and lewis like this.
  15. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I'm going with the underlined part. IMO, he's lucky to have lasted as long as he did. If I was in that band playing guitar, I would be pissed off that he gets an equal amount for contributing little to nothing to their music. :2c: :coffee:

setsuna7 likes this.
  16. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I hope they make a documentary following the painstaking search to find a replacement.

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i was on the fence before but thats me officially done with them now.

over, the end. Good bye. See ya.

they havent been the same since Joey and Paul and now this with Chris and how they have been behind the scenes. Screw them.

Lets be honest, they have been stale for a long time.

Im way more excited for Fear Factories talked about new album than I was Slipknots, and Ive never even been a fan of FF yet Slipknot were my favourite band for about 5 years straight.
    Sums it up.

Hollowway, Veldar and Kaura like this.
  18. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I forgot that Joey got fired actually, that had to have taken a huge toll on their later sound and even performances.

Put me in the same camp of "wow, I'm surprised dicknose was there as long as he was."

works0fheart and Veldar like this.
  19. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Eh... they got better after Joey left. Vol 3 and AHIG were lame albums. Not that I think it's BECAUSE he left mind you. .5 was good, albeit with annoying modern production.

I don't know how much Chris contributed in writing, but he's ultimately not that important on his own. He was a mirror of clown, and with him gone, you'll be hard pressed to notice a difference in sound.

setsuna7 likes this.
  20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Im sorry but thats just not true to the larger fanbase.
    EVERYONE prefers the era of slipknot when Joey was in the band.
    Its that simple.

how many times have Slipknots marketing for a new album included "its as heavy as Iowa - you wait until you hear it" type nonsense.
    Why do you think that is?

because their best work was Vol 1 upto All Hope is gone. Everything since has been radio friendly turd.

The Grey Chapter was an abortion

works0fheart likes this.