"Shred vs Feel": Why the Beef???

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Konfyouzd, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

i don't think i've seen that either... i need that in my life. i'm all about some buckethead.

2. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

Whether or not a person can "play" with feeling is irrelevant to me. They could put as much "feeling" into the song as they want, but if im not feeling it on my end, for whatever reason, then its lost on me anyway...

Personally, i have yet to actually hear any guitar solo that i enjoyed, or felt had loads of "feeling" in it... I just dont feel any emotion from it :shrug:

3. a7stringkilla

a7stringkilla SS.org Regular

its on youtube. its him just sitting in a backyard at some gathering somewhere just trippin on his guitar. it really is very, very cool.

4. Konfyouzd

actually i may have seen that... is it the one where he's playing through a rock man and he's got that black ibanez/jackson looking guitar?

5. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

Yarp, thats the one.

You can certainly shred with feeling but a lot of the time with Mr Head I think there's a deliberate absence of feeling which evokes its own mood - oh, the dichotomy! :)

6. DaveCarter

DaveCarter Melowiddler

Im just as happy listening to Jeff Beck as I am with Shawn Lane, to me both play with equal amounts of 'feeling', regardless of speed used :shrug:

7. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

Jeff's no slouch when he wants to be :)

Jeff and Shawn are both known to be able to play with feeling regardless of tempo but I guess that for many people that guy that really hit it on the head would be (don't laugh) Yngwie. His first couple of albums were fucking firebreathing man and while some of his later stuff is a bit staid he's criminally underated by people who dismiss him all too readily these days.

How many guitarists cite him as an influence or respect his ability? Loads, even up to world-class players.

8. DaveCarter

DaveCarter Melowiddler

Hmmm, maybe Jeff is a bad example!! The point Im getting at is that Shawn Lane has been clocked as the world fastest player, yet IMO he still plays with as much feeling as anyone else. Perhaps a better comparison would be between him and Dave Gilmour? Either way, speed/shred doesnt necessarily mean that something lacks feel, it's just a different way of communicating your melodic ideas, which in the right circumstances can also seem more impressive than the same ideas played at a slower pace.

9. a7stringkilla

a7stringkilla SS.org Regular

yeah thats it. hes playing a Heartfield/Fender Talon. it was Fenders stab at superstrats. pretty cool looking guitar.

10. Konfyouzd

most becker songs he shreds from start to finish and i think they're all pretty damn beautiful. "Altitudes" ftw.

11. MFB

MFB ExBendable

That's why I put Altitudes on page one of the "Solos that make you cry" thread

12. Konfyouzd

oh did you? nice! :yesway:

i go nowhere near reading them all. :lol:

13. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

That's a fantastic video (the E Lydian one)
    His phrasing is spine chillingly good and that bend at 53 seconds is one of the most expressive things I've ever heard. I watch that video at least once a day.

14. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

James Murphy is worth a mention in this thread I think. he can rip it up when he wants to, but in recent guest solos he's really just gone with what makes the music more powerful, and laid off the fast stuff completely. props to that man :yesway:

15. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

The only time I hear this Shred vs Feel argument in person is in a music store. It's usually brought up by the overweight, balding old blues guy playing a strat into a blues deville louder than everyone else in the store.

I just need the really hardcore shred to sound like it's actually going somewhere, like Loomis's solos. The guy captures so much melody in his solos. Other than that, I'm sure the guys going as fast as humanly possible are having fun doing it, so who am I to tell them that they aren't playing with feeling and should change how they play? Goes the same for the other side too. It's so subjective.

vontetzianos likes this.
  16. Excalibur

Excalibur :O

This.

17. Konfyouzd

^ yes. it's very true. whenever i'm shreddin' it up in a guitar shop that's what i hear. but the thing is... i feel like i need a backing track if i'm going to play anything meaningful as far as leads go. otherwise i'm usually rippin' it up trying to see if i think the guitar is comfortable and whether or not it'll stand up to whatever i throw at it.

18. dougsteele

dougsteele Doug Steele Forum MVP

I like feet.

ShadyDavey likes this.
  19. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

/thread.

Bring on the next thread.

20. Koshchei

Koshchei Banned

I've thought about this one for years, and the conclusion I've come to is that the division between audiences determines it. Some people prefer simple melodies, and others prefer more complex arrangements with more technical requirements. Basically the modern day division between folk and art music.

Where the trouble arises, is in the fact that both of these groups use the same instruments. BB King versus Yngwie Malmsteen is the difference between fiddle and violin -- the fiddle audience will never understand Yngwie, even though he may interpretively play a BB theme they're familiar with, and the violin audience will find BB King to not be musically engaging, and inept if he ever tries to play anything Yngwie.

That's all. Neither style is wrong, just different.

Konfyouzd likes this.