Seattle Members: Konfyouzd Needs Your Help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Konfyouzd, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

I need to move.

I recently moved to Seattle for work. I initially moved to an area that I could comfortably afford given high Seattle rent coupled with the fact that--at the time--I was still paying my mortgage in VA until it sold.

This neighborhood is not good.

I need to move.

Where are some good places to live in Seattle where:
    1. People won't break into my car every time I park it
    2. I don't find dope sick locals asking me for heroin at my bus stop
    3. Drunk racist homeless people don't try to fight me at the bus stop
    4. People don't steal parts off nice looking cars just because it sat a few days
    5. People will actually hold a conversation and make eye contact with people

Please help.

I need to move. (Did I mention that?)

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Move to Canada! :lol:

3. Konfyouzd

I considered it when Trump got elected. I really did.

AxeHappy, xzacx and TedEH like this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire unofficial sso pickup tester

move out of seattle :lol:

Konfyouzd likes this.
  5. Konfyouzd

I need a job out of Seattle first. Or maybe if there are some nice suburbs that aren't crazy expensive. This place is pricey.

Maybe I just need a raise... :idea: :lol:

6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If you're staying in a city with high rent, it's gonna be a challenge. Doable but a challenge. How do you feel about commuting, and what's around?

If you're open to moving for work (out of state/city), explore your options.

Good luck dude.

7. Konfyouzd

I moved here for work... So I'm open to it. But when a company relocates you, you don't exactly get to just leave. I have to wait until the contract I signed says I can leave the company. I have plenty of options, I just can't act on anything at the moment, so I'd like to just live in a part of the area that's less likely to cost me my entire salary just replacing my stuff.

And it's not that I even want to leave the company or the city as a whole. I just know with absolute certainty that my current neighborhood is no good, but I don't know the area because people in Seattle are the most closed off people I've ever met in my life so it's actually easier to ask these sorts of questions online.

Hell... Have you noticed that so far literally no one from Seattle has responded? :lol:

Only everyone else.

There *are* some positions opening in Nashville that management keeps talking about but I'm not entirely sure I want to move there. It would definitely be a cheaper cost of living (for which my company doesn't adjust, so I'd win there a little bit) and I hear the music scene there is pretty cool, but not really sure if I'd be walking into a better situation or more of the same.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  8. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Issaquah, Redmond, Bellevue, and Edmonds would tick most boxes for you. I don’t know what affordable is for you, so you’d have to determine that. The traffic is an absolute nightmare everywhere. I bought my house 30 mins North of Seattle, but it takes at least 75 mins to get there every morning, so be sure to factor that into how far away from the city you go.

Konfyouzd and AngstRiddenDreams like this.
  9. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

Jesus dude what neighborhood are you in? I'm in Greenlake after being in U District for four years and holy shit it is so much nicer with regards to absolutely insane homeless people, even though it's a mile away.

Bremerton is sweet and way cheaper and a ferry commute is actually doable but still time consuming. If you can afford Ballard/Fremont/Greenlake, I'd try there before commuting from elsewhere though.

Konfyouzd likes this.
  10. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Just go all the way and move to Europe. You won't regert it!

Konfyouzd likes this.
  11. Konfyouzd

I'm currently in Burien... Not a fan. I was looking at Fremont and I may move that way later this year.

When I was first about to move out here I was looking at Issaquah and was a bit worried about the traffic but at this point I may just deal with it. I have a coworker in Bellevue that I think is moving to Issaquah. Bellevue was a bit out of my price range when I first came here but a lot of the places I looked at then are easily affordable now that I've sold my house.

Those areas tend to be a little less sketchy than the Burien/Renton/Seatac area?

I'm pretty sure I live near where Alice in Chains grew up and now I know why a lot of their songs were so damn depressing. :lol:

budda likes this.
  12. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Well, I guess there's always that in 2020!

Konfyouzd likes this.
  13. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

My brother in law lived in Redmond for a long time (he works for Microsoft) and didn't have to put up with any of the dumbfuckery you mention. His only complaint was the cost of living there; if it were more affordable, he'd probably still be there.

Also, people in Seattle may appear more closed off since they "mind their own business" rather than display the friendly, southern hospitality you're probably familiar with from VA, but they are typically friendly and approachable if you have something to discuss. They're just not big on small talk and pleasantries in my experience.

Konfyouzd and sezna like this.
  14. sezna

sezna undermotivated

as somebody moving to Seattle later this year, this thread seems to provide...good info

Konfyouzd likes this.
  15. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

There's great neighborhoods, but anywhere close to business centers is gonna have insane homeless happenings. It drops off noticeably within a half mile of most neighborhood "centers".

Konfyouzd likes this.
  16. Konfyouzd

Let's jam some time.

@jaxadam You don't work for Amazon do you?

17. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I was just in Seattle for business.

Downtown is scary at night in some areas.

Issaquah is super nice.

I thought people in Seattle were disgustingly nice though. But I’m from New York. People in Seattle actually say hi and shit when you pass them in the street. Like wtf don’t talk to me.

steinmetzify and Konfyouzd like this.
  18. Konfyouzd

I'm feeling like Issaquah is the way to go hehe

19. pott

pott SS.org Regular

No clue about jax, but I do :)

I live in the Central District; a thin sliver of a couple of blocks wedged between the ID and First Hill. It's fairly safe.

When I moved here I got told immediately "be ready, you WILL be robbed". I can't stand that attitude. If it's a certainty to be robbed, then that means a whole breakdown of civic duties from the local government.
    Within 6 months of living in the US/Seattle, I got robbed twice. There is NOTHING that will EVER make me feel safe in this country. I lived in a residential area of Capitol Hill reputed safe back then.

The car thing... well we have a garage thankfully; but all-too-often I hear folks saying 'well it's their fault, they left stuff in their car and it was parked outside'. NO.
    Indeed, people shouldn't leave stuff inside their cars in a city with such a high carjacking chance. BUT IT'S STILL NOT THEIR GODDAMN FAULT. Victim-shaming is real here...

[/rant]

20. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

@pott Jesus Christ that sounds like San Francisco.