SD Black Winter Worship thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Blytheryn, Jul 28, 2016.

1. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

I finally got my BWs installed into my AW-7! It's going to be a great weekend!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Dude... That red lettering goes perfect with that guitar. Gotta get some clips of that, man.

rexbinary likes this.
  3. metallifan3091

metallifan3091 SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Finally got a picture of my PRS Tremonti with Black Winters in it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  4. The906

The906 Contributor

Have had mine in the old RG570 for a few months, so much fun.
    Thanks to @TheShreddinHand for selling these to me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  5. Ironbird666

Ironbird666 SS.org Regular

I think I'm going to do it again guys.... I have a Jackson DKMG with EMG's and I'm just not super thrilled with them. It's trans-red with a flame maple top, neck/headstock binding, all the fun Jackson stuff. I'm thinking a set of Zebra BW's would look and sound killer in it. I mean, a 5th guitar with BW's can't hurt right?

6. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

You can't go wrong with BWs. For any type of music. I played a Journey cover yesterday with mine and got tons of compliments on my tone. The audience were not 'metal people' either, haha. I'm thinking about picking up a 7-string guitar (finally) and putting a BW set in it.

Anybody here could chime in to this, but is the 7-string BW set as awesome as the 6-string set?

Oddly, I finally want a 7-string mainly to have access to E-Standard tuning, with the added low B. I don't think I'd tune it lower. I've been doing more and more stuff in E-Standard, but it's a pain to setup my other guitars for E when I normally play in C# Standard or D Standard. Surely I NEED another guitar, right? Help me provide a justification to my wife...:lol:

Ironbird666 likes this.
  7. Ironbird666

I have the 7 string bridge model BW. I dig it quite a bit. It's not exactly the same but overall it's very similar. It's definitely awesome and worthy of the name. haha!

8. The906

The906 Contributor

Do it, and how are you getting zebra BWs? Custom order from dealer?

9. The906

The906 Contributor

You will net reduce your expenditure on 6 string sets. Since you will be playing your 6 strings less. WIN. :lol:

10. Ironbird666

You can find color options on ebay typically. There are a few dealers who sell floor shop custom versions of most Duncan models available. :yesway:

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire unofficial sso pickup tester

I find the ERG sets of the BW to not work quite as well as the 6 string versions honestly. Some of the things that makes it a badass pickup for a 6 string (the bumped up bass response in particular) doesn't translate well to more strings. The low end gets dark/muddy to an extent and the high output doesn't really help that situation at all.
    I kind of want to reinstall the 8 string versions and test them through some different settings/amps just to really confirm my previous experience.

KailM likes this.
  12. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

AW-7 bros! *Fist bump* That looks great. I still need to get the BW neck :lol:
    [​IMG]

rexbinary likes this.
  13. Smoked Porter

They're pretty similar, I think the 6 string set is slightly more versatile. The 7 seems a bit hotter, maybe a little more compressed. FWIW I tried the 7 first and it's what sent me down the rabbit hole of wanting to put them in most of my guitars, 6 and 7 string.

Edit: saw @KnightBrolaire's response about darkness/muddiness and I would say that hasn't been my experience with the 7 string set, and the AW-7 is a fairly dark guitar. Haven't tried the 8 though.

KailM and The906 like this.
  14. PunkBillCarson

The thing to take into consideration though is your definition of muddy. It's been explained many times, but some of us aren't afraid of a little mud, what's muddy to everyone here is anything less than a cocked wah sound with overbearing mids, so...

15. KnightBrolaire

I'm not opposed to some mud either, i was just relaying my experience with the black winters. The dark/muddy comment was something i experienced when comparing them with other pickups that i tested with the same guitar/amps/eq/riffs. It's as close to an apples to apples comparison as i could get.

16. PunkBillCarson

Well true, but in your videos I never hear any mud. You do honestly some of the best pickup videos in demonstrating them. Have you done a 7 string Black Winter video? If you did, I didn't catch it.

17. KnightBrolaire

Thanks, i try to make pretty thorough demos so people get a good idea of how the pickups are voiced.
    No i haven't demoed the 7 string version in a video. The only time i've messed with the 7 string version was at guitar center. I wish i'd demoed the 8 string version back when i had them installed, there's basically no good 8 string demos out there. The 8 string version isn't super dark and muddy by any means, just darker/muddier compared to other pickups i tested. None of what i'm saying really applies to the 6 string, those stay plenty clear down to b1. The 7 string is pfine til about g1 iirc

18. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

This is true. I typically have quite a bit of bass in my tone, and absolutely don't need hyper-clarity on big chords. I want a ferocious, angry, yet warm wall of distortion, and that's exactly what the BWs supply on my 6-string tuned anywhere from drop-B to E Standard.

I also like my Nazgul and have heard the 7-string version is even better. So that could be an option as well. Lol, I talk about this like I have the guitar already.:)

19. PunkBillCarson

I was actually thinking of getting the new PRS SVN Black Cherry and putting Black Winters in it. That's where my question came in about the coil-splitting awhile back.

KailM and Smoked Porter like this.
  20. Smoked Porter

Me too. I keep bouncing back and forth between the red and black. With my luck, they'll make a nice purple or trampas green one a few months after I pick one though.