Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MikeH, Oct 19, 2013.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Drink Sunny D, pet kitties.

either way, checking the pots/connections is the first step and replacement is the next step if that fails.. nothing wrong with zip tying, I do that in most of my guitars to keep them from looking like a rat's nest.

Vegetta likes this.
  2. Vegetta

Vegetta NOT A BOOMER

AHH I meant a mess in like a lot of wire - not wire willy-nilly all over. Not used to seeing so much extra wire in the control cavity. I have never had a guitar with active pickups before though so that may be my issue.

3. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Yeah, I know it doesn't look as good but I leave every bit of wire I can and find a way to fit it in. I'd rather be able to easily resell a set of pickups I may lose interest in rather than have tidy work I don't see on a normal basis. So long as everything is wrapped and shielded right, it should just be a minor annoyance for when you're mucking around in the cavity.

Vegetta and The906 like this.
  4. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I find it hilarious that this has finally become the consensus because back during the Boden OS Launch and release I was given an immense amount of shit for debunking the whole "WMI Tiered Quality" arguments being tossed in defense of the cost on these WMI imports. It's a factory with a large group of people doing what they do every day, naturally they should get better with time, but nearly all of these large importers almost universally market with "QC done in house after it's shipped from the factory, then shipped to customers".

WMI makes damn fine instruments, but goddamn I just took a look at Strandberg's catalog and the price increase puts these things in the 2 - 2.5k range. I think if people are going to have complaints about faults in an instrument past a certain price point, things like this should be considered.

That being said, these KMIII's are really hitting the spot for me right now. And being that they're sitting at a 1700 price point. Getting one for closer to 1k when they eventually get blown out on sale is definitely something I'm waiting on. I've gotten my hands on 4 of them so far and they've all been impressive and well made.

Masoo2 likes this.
  5. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

There are 4 b-stocks on reverb right now for only $1250, but I agree. Definitely worth picking one up when they go on sale or a used one pops up.

Jonathan20022 likes this.
  6. Joeliosis

Joeliosis SS.org Regular

I have the Stealth Grey coming tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing it

Vegetta and Mattykoda like this.
  7. LeviathanKiller

I don't know if there is still any available but there were brand new MK-3s for $1299 on Reverb and Amazon.
    $50 more for no major damage. Take my money.

8. Albake21

I was fully ready to pull the trigger on one of the standards.... then car trouble just had to hit me. Please let us know how you like it!

9. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

Can you weigh in on the neck thickness when you get it? The schecter website has them listed as thicker at the first and twelve fret than the MK II and if they are I'll probably pick one up. I have GC coupon just calling the predator inlay model.

10. Vegetta

Vegetta NOT A BOOMER

I've never Played a mk ii. It's a bit thinner than the neck on my RG1527 but has a rounder profile.

skmanga likes this.
  11. Joeliosis

Joeliosis SS.org Regular

@Mattykoda I am pretty sure I have calipers laying around somewhere. Will measure

12. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast Contributor

Curious about the quality of the pickups that come in the Mark III Standard. Anyone have a chance to try them yet? Musician’s Friend has a coupon to get it for 15% off so at $764 it’s pretty tempting.

13. Vegetta

Vegetta NOT A BOOMER

I was wondering that myself. I am kind of hoping that they put out a 6 string version at some point as well.

14. LeviathanKiller

Happy to see all you left-handed players are able to get one of these now!
    I've still been seeing some issues but things appear to be getting better. I wouldn't be surprised if the new stock is flawless at this point. My most recent MK-III I purchased had minimal chipping and I was able to fix it up in a few seconds feel-wise.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...w-km-7-mk-iii-artist-left-handed-blue-crimson

Threadnaught and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  15. Vegetta

Vegetta NOT A BOOMER

I got the pot sorted on mine and now it is perfect.

I blew it out with compressed air again and checked all of the connections. Bent one lug a bit and Bam worked as expected. Lol.

16. Albake21

Just took the plunge on a KM7 MKIII Standard. It will be here this Thursday, so expect a full write up on it by the weekend. I'm hoping for it to be a good mod platform and a practice guitar for me to get better at fret work (if it requires any).

17. Vegetta

Vegetta NOT A BOOMER

I would be interested in hearing about the standard. I am hoping that they release a 6 string standard - That would be a good mod platform also.

18. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

YES!!! Which one did you go with?

Also @Joeliosis any update on how you like yours?

19. LeviathanKiller

I understand not having high-end features on a guitar that's supposed to be in a lower price range, but I really really really wish they'd reach up and pull down the stainless steel frets feature. I'd have every single one of the new MK-III Standard models if they had stainless steel frets. I ponder the reasonableness of buying them anyway and have them refretted to SS later...

These things are gorgeous

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Albake21

I went with the green burl. I'm not one for burled tops at all, but damn that green with the black back is just perfect to me. Plus I went with Sweetwater so I was able to pick which top I wanted. The one Leviathan posted above was one of the two choices, but I chose the other one. It had a much better top.