Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MikeH, Oct 19, 2013.

1. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Might wanna check out the rules man. Posting ads for stuff you're selling isn't allowed in normal discussion threads. The mods will getcha.

Just wanted to make sure you're aware of why the above post might get removed shortly. lol

2. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

I got my km7 today.

I'm pretty sure it's brand new .the case still has a tag on it. It's a very unassuming guitar but you can tell it means business.

The neck is incredible. Definitely not a wizard, a smidge thicker and a different shape. It plays fast and it feels great in my hand. I was worried about the neck because I played a hellraiser when they came out and the neck felt thicker than my Les Paul. It actually turned me off from schecter for a long time.

My amps tubes took a shit and went microphonic, but I could still play it for awhile. Definitely a great sound coming from these pickups. My favorite 7 set has been the nazgul/sentient, but these are something else. The voicing options just add another layer that I'm going to take a long time figuring out what I like best.

So the million dollar question. How bad is it? I can find zero imperfections on this guitar. Well, I can find a very small imperfections on the binding around 22-24. It just looks sloppier there, but then I'm splitting hairs. My wife hates the color, I like it.

One improvement I could think of is a glossier finish might've elevated this guitar a bit.

Setup is decent, but gonna wait 24 hours to really mess with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. NoodleFace

Follow up post

Had this thing for a few days. Did a full setup (well... I might adjust the relief once more) and this thing slays.

I'm sorry for the guys that got lemons. This guitar is incredible.

Two imperfections I've found. The two toggle switches have a washer under them .They both have like.. a small metal tab sticking up that's very sharp. Almost like they were cut wrong.

Sending it back!!!!

Just kidding. I'll eventually replace them or lose a finger.

4. LeviathanKiller

Mine had that tab too on all 3. Just the way they were made or assembled apparently.

5. NoodleFace

Ah yeah, seems like laziness. I wouldn't care but my kid likes to touch the knobs while I play

ImNotAhab likes this.
  6. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Hahaha, my kid is obsessed with push/pulls too. Either that or she loves songls coil tones.

Solodini likes this.
  7. Indigo Shinigami

Indigo Shinigami Said the p-word once

I just thought the tabs were essentially like thumb bleeds that some Gibsons have near the knobs. But as far as I'm aware, unlike the thumb bleeds, these are on washers that you can rotate out of the way after loosening it a bit, or just replace with regular ones from your hardware store of choice.

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  9. NoodleFace

Very strange, never seen them before

10. dc_player

dc_player SS.org Regular

The tabs are actually meant to face inwards and be inserted into a hole to anchor the switch to prevent rotation. On guitars, the tabs don't really have any applicability. They are really more for mounting on a control panel or something similar. I don't think I've ever seen where one was mounted with the tab in a hole.

11. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

What about the most recent runs of these, are they too still exhibiting the some flaws/shortcomings?

12. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Funny enough, I haven't seen anyone buy once since the first batch. I'm curious myself.

LeviathanKiller and I play music like this.
  13. NotQuiteWes

NotQuiteWes SS.org Regular

I was highly curious of picking up a MK-III. Hearing all the issues and seeing a lot of imperfect models from Sweetwater, I knew it'd be unlikely to get one I'd be happy with. So I just ordered a MK-III which seems more consistent by now. It had some minor issues but I don't regret the purchase now that the price has faded from credit card.

14. NoodleFace

Wonder what the point of using them is then. Seems a regular washer would work and be less deadly

15. LeviathanKiller

Yeah, my black MK-II is my favorite guitar honestly which is slightly disappointing considering how much I've paid for other guitars and how many other guitars I have bought period. That particular one I feel so at home on.

NotQuiteWes likes this.
  16. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

What minor issues, if you don't mind me asking?

17. NotQuiteWes

NotQuiteWes SS.org Regular

The binding is slightly off around the nut, like the maple binding is slightly wider at the nut. And one of the string ferrules on the back isn't all the way pushed in.

The string ferrule can be pushed in, I'm sure. I had to get over the binding, which took about a week purely because it's cosmetic and I couldn't stop looking at it. Now I don't care cause after it got set up it plays fantastic and the Schecter locking tuners hold well. Still have to tweak the setup to my preference.

What gauge strings are you guys using? I keep it in B, and have been using 10-64.

Carl Kolchak likes this.
  18. dc_player

dc_player SS.org Regular

The tabbed washers as well as the mounting nuts and lock washers come already screwed on the mini toggles when purchased from the suppliers. So I guess most guitar manufacturers just use the mounting hardware that comes with the switches, although I have a Carvin DC127 with two mini toggles for the coil splitters and Carvin did use flat washers for those. I agree the flat washer is much better.

19. NoodleFace

10-62 but I might go with a heavier 7th since I'm in Drop A.

I also noticed some Merrow tabs are in drop Bb... which is half a step up? Confused by that

Duh, that makes sense.

20. Indigo Shinigami

Indigo Shinigami Said the p-word once

Drop Bb is a half step up for the first 6 strings, and a half step down for the 7th (from B standard). Apparently, Unearth uses that tuning too.