Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MikeH, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Patrickrussell2

Patrickrussell2 Member

Well, called sweetwater who is willing to make the exchange for a new one but they aren't expecting one for 2 weeks.....

2. theicon2125

theicon2125 SS.org Regular

Have you contacted Schecter directly about it? I had some issues with the LTD ZH-7B I just got and my dealer (local store) is working directly with ESP to get it resolved.

3. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Honestly, I'm more forgiving of something like this than I am of say, the Iron Label QC issues.

Something like this is one person making one mistake in an otherwise high quality operation. Everyone comes out the other side basically saying "Damn, that was silly. But the rest of the guitar was awesome and the fixed replacement is awesome too".

Compared to something where the problems are smaller, more minor, but also more varied... that feels less like a "Damn, we screwed up", and more like a "They don't give enough of a damn, if they let this stuff get through routinely".

I guess what I'm saying is, I'd rather a company made a mid-grade screwup on one particular bunch of guitars, and fixed it, than made a variety of low grade screwups and left it to the consumer to cherrypick from all of the guitars produced.

4. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Being on the receiving end of either sucks, although I agree with what you're saying. In the end, buyer has a flawed product.

5. dongh1217

dongh1217 SS.org Regular

I have never seen any CROWNED/finished frets on any given KM and JL in my life :wallbash:

6. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

What song is Keith playing on the 7-string in that demo video? The riffage is f*cking mean :hbang:

This was a problem with the JL a few years ago actually :lol:

7. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Now you have...

8. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

Damn, I'd return that right away

9. LTigh

LTigh Banned

Huh.

Well, after the PRS Zach Myers debacle a couple of years ago, plus what I've heard about the issues with the first 100 or so KMs (mark I now, I suppose), Imma stay away from the first batch or so of new models to come out of WMI.

Not necessarily a knock against World Music, despite the interesting behind-the-scenes which have come to light, but it looks like there's a bit of a learning curve involved.

My own MIKs are top-notch, but then again I've been lucky that WMI's had a couple of years of experience cranking out my particular models before I wind up indulging my GAS.

Pity, too. Imma wait until next year before considering a KM7 Mk ii.

10. Patrickrussell2

Patrickrussell2 Member

I wish mine had looked like that....

Anyways it's going my back.

And if the next one isn't up to par I'll be requesting my money back and looking for other options.

11. punisher911

punisher911 blah blah blah

mod edit: while this is the seven string thread we really don't need another thread when a billion page one already exists for the model and the 6 and 7 string versions have been talked about here

12. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Polylinker

The song Keith is playing on the 7 is called "Ashes of Lesser Men" :hbang:

13. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

[​IMG]
    The owner guarantees his is properly crowned

14. Patrickrussell2

Patrickrussell2 Member

Nice. But unless it's a trick of the light is that lumilay not fully filled? Because that was one of the many reasons mine went back.

15. Patrickrussell2

Patrickrussell2 Member

Latest update on my case. It sounds like sweetwater messed up and sent out all my replacements options out as new orders and gave a new eta of two more weeks.

I'll reach out to schecter and see what they can do. Just immensely frustrating.

16. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Sorry to hear this man, what a mess. I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end.

17. Hendog

Hendog SS.org Regular

Man, I'm glad I didn't buy one of these MKII on the first run.

Hopefully they get things worked out because that guitar could be killer if set up correctly.

18. punisher911

The mkii 6 string I just got doesn't seem to have any issues. Haven't gone over it with a fine tooth comb, but nothing has jumped out at me yet.

19. punisher911

ok. Inspection over... the fit and finish of the guitar is fine... however, there is a problem. Didn't notice it at first as it's a function I wouldn't normally use. When I used the coil tap, it's loud. Crazy loud. On clean it's not noticeable, but using the gain channel it presents a loud squeal/hum. Not talking 60 cycle strat hum either. LOUD. and yes, I have an ISP Decimator, that doesn't help this scenario at all. Leads me to believe there is a ground or some other wiring issue with the coil tap switch itself. Oh well, sending it back. I do like the guitar otherwise, but still happier overall with my SE 245.... which feels better and still has better fretwork.. strange considering they come out of the same building.

20. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

Well, to each his own, I personally wouldn't send back a guitar due to some ground issue that a tech could fix in 15 mins. As for the SE 245, of course it feels different, its scale is 1" shorter than the KM6 :D.

As for the frets, how bad was the KM6 in comparison, where they properly crowned? KM6 has SS frets, so could that be a factor?