Schecter 9 string multiscale prototype?

KnightBrolaire

meet me in the pit
Reaction score
it's a one-off prototype. schecter makes a looot of prototypes, most of which end up at drumcityguitarland. that's probably where mphsc got it from.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What is the point of the 9th string scale only being 28". I mean I guess if you want to tune UP? But why would you want to do that? I really wish Schecter would do a 9 with a 30" scale that doesn't look like a MOP gothic disaster or have freaking bats on the neck.....

Winspear

Tom Winspear
Reaction score
Well, tuning up/adding a treble is a lot of fun. But yeah I get it. Hats off to Schecter though for pushing the length out a bit further. At least they do offer a 30" 9 string and their 8 strings are 28" which is an improvement over the other brands. I guess they just wanted to do a fan with a regular length high E for this (as some people are super picky about that) and didn't want an extreme fan so 2.5" was as much as they could add. 30-27" would be a really good standard for 9s, imo.

KnightBrolaire

meet me in the pit
Reaction score
What is the point of the 9th string scale only being 28". I mean I guess if you want to tune UP? But why would you want to do that? I really wish Schecter would do a 9 with a 30" scale that doesn't look like a MOP gothic disaster or have freaking bats on the neck.....
Their regular 9 string is a 30"scale iirc.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Their regular 9 string is a 30"scale iirc.
I guess I haven't checked for sure in like a year, but the last time they had 30" 9s it was either the damien, which would be a cool guitar except for the dumbass bats, and a C-series one that had MOP/pearloid cross inlays and the full-body pearloid binding. Tacky AF.

PBC

Prototyper
Contributor
Reaction score
it's a one-off prototype. schecter makes a looot of prototypes, most of which end up at drumcityguitarland. that's probably where mphsc got it from.

The Damien Platinum 9 is 30" Scale and the Hellraiser C-9 is 28". As @Winspear mentioned, 30-27 would be a pretty good standard but it's farther than most non-Agile guitars. The Jackson FF 8 String is 28-26 and Ibanez's is 27.25-25.5; therefore given the extra string the 9 might have a more extreme angle than other production models. The 28-25.5 on the OP scale length would lend itself well to EADGCFADG, whole step down, extra treble.

You're right @KnightBrolaire it came from Drum City Guitar Land. I remember them listing it on their website as a one off prototype. This guy bought it and promptly put it up on Reverb a day later with a $400 upsell than what he payed for it on DCGL. Unfortunately, no official word from Schecter of an actual production model.

BigHandy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yep these bat inlays makes them a bit light-minded and so are those cross inlays just needlessly over fussy. Also are the shining pearloid bindings (at least combined with the red finish).

But their 2018 FF 7 String just looks as cool as a it can. I'm more of a fan of this more natural, and simplified design. Hope they will make an 8 String FF version someday, would be simply a perfect option, but more likely for a price like 700€.

That's why I have my eyes on the FF Jackson 8 strings, they are not that pricey and -on paper- have quite good parameters. I wonder how the stock passive pickups would sound on the deep-red version. Cause if it would need an extra pricey replacement immediately out-of-the-box, maybe it needs more consideration. But as far as I can judge, they aren't tilted or special shape, so at least it won't be hard to find a nominee. Just makes me curious.

lewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
you can cover inlays or stain over them if its that big of an issue.
Hides them no problem.

If I had a 9 string fan fret I would want it 30 inch on the low

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
mfw the headstock is larger than the body

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
you can cover inlays or stain over them if its that big of an issue.
Hides them no problem.

If I had a 9 string fan fret I would want it 30 inch on the low

Have you seen the size of those bats and crosses? unless you blacked out the whole freboard they're still gonna be there....and that doesn't do anything to cover up the "pimp my ride" ridiculousness of the body binding, lol

lewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Have you seen the size of those bats and crosses? unless you blacked out the whole freboard they're still gonna be there....and that doesn't do anything to cover up the "pimp my ride" ridiculousness of the body binding, lol
yeah I like blacking out entire fretboards haha.

Granted the binding is abit garish but the inlays are 100% the shittest part of it.

Reactions: Isx

EverDream

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I must be the only person who loves Schecter guitar inlays and binding, lol. Oh well. It definitely wouldn't be the first time in life that I'm completely alien in some way to the majority.