RIP David Andersson - Soilwork Guitarist Dead at 47

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The band released a statement on social media indicating he died recently from factors relating to mental illness and alcoholism.

This one hurts on a personal level. I got to hang out with David for over an hour after a Soilwork show and walked around town looking for a nearby bar to hang. We talked about Bill Ward's excellent drumming on the early Sabbath records, Swedish culture, even his day job as a GI doctor. He was so friendly and accommodating...one of the nicest guys to his fans.

I loved his contributions to Soilwork and Night Flight Orchestra. He had some big shoes to fill stepping in for Peter, but he surpassed most people's expectations and the band continued putting out great music. Rest in peace, David.

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A buddy of mine sent this to me earlier. Heartbreaking.
Did you see them in 2013 at Jackrabbits? Jeff Loomis had to cancel that show as support, but that just meant more Soilwork music. Had a blast at that small club.

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not Suicide. He had a substance abuse problem which in the resultet in organ failure.
Yeah, at first I thought it was likely suicide, but Bjorn posted a few lines about how he spent time with David in the hospital during his final hours.

riseguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Terrible news. Soilwork is my favorite. Every albums just keep getting better and better. I'm so sorry for his family. I hope he's at peace now

Wc707

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sad to hear. The Living Infinite is my favorite cd of theirs.

evade

enthusiast
Reaction score
He was GI doctor? I had no idea, but the news in all was pretty sad.

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
He was GI doctor? I had no idea, but the news in all was pretty sad.
Yeah. I make ingestible electronics and talked to him at length about similar technologies like the endoscopy pill cameras. This was back in 2013, and I was looking forward to catching up with him again, but I don't think he toured too much more with the band, at least not globally. I'm guessing that when he wasn't in the studio, he was doing his doctor gig a good chunk of the time.

evade

enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah. I make ingestible electronics and talked to him at length about similar technologies like the endoscopy pill cameras. This was back in 2013, and I was looking forward to catching up with him again, but I don't think he toured too much more with the band, at least not globally. I'm guessing that when he wasn't in the studio, he was doing his doctor gig a good chunk of the time.
It's super interesting because I'm super into GI stuff too lol. Who would've thought?